Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day,
Any one know of a modern alternative to zerks ?
Greasing my UCA's yesterday, reckon I spilled more grease than went in the darn zerk...

so any grease experts out there know of any improvement to the old 19th century zerk ?

surely aircraft and space shuttles and the like have some hi tech doohickey for grease.....
@rotorhed1 ..and others....

Thanks in advance,

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Thanks for the mention.
Well there are several ways of doing things on helicopter main rotors. There are a few to dozens of zerks on them. Some may have a part lubricated by oil and a reservoir. Others are "elastomeric". Basically layers of metal and rubber. No lubrication required.

Standard and flush type fittings are used. Some of the aircraft require that these be purge lubricated after flight in the rain.

The landing gear on airplanes have zerks on the pivot points.

·
Premium Member
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the mention.
Well there are several ways of doing things on helicopter main rotors. There are a few to dozens of zerks on them. Some may have a part lubricated by oil and a reservoir. Others are "elastomeric". Basically layers of metal and rubber. No lubrication required.

Standard and flush type fittings are used. Some of the aircraft require that these be purge lubricated after flight in the rain.

The landing gear on airplanes have zerks on the pivot points.
Thanks Mate,
Well that is kinda disappointing.... hahahaha
But I half expected this answer....
I will keep looking for a better solution.
Thanks
cheers
Baz

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Sealed.

Those remote hoses are kinda hard to install when the zerk is going in very fast circles round and round.

Maybe put some glasses on and use a bright light when trying to get the tip of your grease gun into/on the zerk?

Cheers and a shot of Bumbleberg.

·
Premium Member
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sealed.

Those remote hoses are kinda hard to install when the zerk is going in very fast circles round and round.

Maybe put some glasses on and use a bright light when trying to get the tip of your grease gun into/on the zerk?

Cheers and a shot of Bumbleberg.
:rofl:
yeah, as wondering about that !!!! :rofl:

Its partly vision, have to admit that, but also just getting access under the UCA.... if you dont get the angle right... it gets messy

cheers
Baz

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Tens of millions of zerk fittings have been successfully used over the past 80+ years on every conceivable type of machinery that needed periodic re-lubrication of critical bearing surfaces.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the design of a zerk-type grease fitting.

If your grease gun was copiously leaking grease from the nose of the chuck every time you pumped the handle, either you didn't have the chuck fully engaged on the fitting, the fitting was damaged, or the chuck on your grease gun was damaged.

If you had the same leakage problem on multiple zerk fittings, most likely your chuck is damaged, or has sand or dirt preventing the fingers from gripping the zerk fitting properly.

There is a rubber seal in the chuck that gets pressed against the nose of the zerk fitting to prevent grease leakage. If this seal is nicked or torn, or contaminated with embedded dirt or sand, it will not seal properly and will leak.

Disassemble the chuck, and clean everything with solvent. Inspect the three gripper fingers for any type of damage, and especially the rubber seal for nicks, tears, or embedded contamination.

And ALWAYS carefully clean each zerk fitting before attaching the grease gun chuck. Little rubber caps are available to snap over the zerk fittings to keep them clean and corrosion free, and will even stay on U-joint zerks.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
G'Day,
Any one know of a modern alternative to zerks ?

Yup, have you considered PTFE lined heim joints? Although zerk fittings on rubber/poly bushings is cost effective and efficient for use, I'd say the next upgrade is PTFE joints like @HERSOG uses on his rig. I don't think you can get better at the moment, but PTFE line joints actually require very little maintenance other than monitoring them for any binding and wear/tear. They are usually considered "self cleaning".

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Yup, have you considered PTFE lined heim joints? Although zerk fittings on rubber/poly bushings is cost effective and efficient for use, I'd say the next upgrade is PTFE joints like @HERSOG uses on his rig. I don't think you can get better at the moment, but PTFE line joints actually require very little maintenance other than monitoring them for any binding and wear/tear. They are usually considered "self cleaning".

I hear you brother. The PTFE spiracle bearings are the best way to go. FK Rod Ends are the only manufacture that uses the PTFE fabric. Du Pont holds the patent on that. http://www.fkrodends.com/products2009.html if lubrication is needed, one can use graphite lubricant, it is a dry lubricant which it will not drag the dirt back into the bearings. I have run them for many years and never had a failure in any of them.
They are pricey, but I say mounted and forget about it.

Cheers
Dennis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks JP,
I would use heims but the UCA's need bushes thru the back of the shock tower.... not sure i could make a heim work there...
I suppose one could make a UCA with heim / Johny joints ...but thats way past my metal skill level...lolol.. and really only needs movement on one plane...
does any one make a UCA with rear heims ? over tradition bushes ? dont think I have seen that...
but thanks for the idea's ...

cheers
Baz

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
does any one make a UCA with rear heims ? over tradition bushes ? dont think I have seen that...
No prob. I'm sure you've seen them. There's a couple companies making it an option and a few more I've seen that I can't recall. Total Chaos, Icon. Btw Icon is $400 more or so. I'm surprised they're not more common, but I'm sure it's a cost efficiency vs benefit. I'm pretty sure we threw cost efficiency out the window long time ago when we stepped into the FJ :lol:

·
Premium Member
10,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No prob. I'm sure you've seen them. There's a couple companies making it an option and a few more I've seen that I can't recall. Total Chaos, Icon. Btw Icon is $400 more or so. I'm surprised they're not more common, but I'm sure it's a cost efficiency vs benefit. I'm pretty sure we threw cost efficiency out the window long time ago when we stepped into the FJ :lol:

G'Day JP,
Thanks, you are right, I have seen them.... duh, the old brain just forgot... hahaha
Yes they are cool, but not cheap... but then as you say we threw that out a long time ago...
dang sexy looking kit too.... Tho' hard to justify replacing my current TC's for these ... :rofl:
when all I have is an issue with is the zerks....
of course if I did replace them, I would have to replace the lowers with some sexy TC's too... :lol: hmmm starting to add up...

Cheers
Baz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts