Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

255/75-17 Hankook RF10's or 285/70-17 Destination AT's?

9K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  NBFJCruz 
#1 ·
It is almost time for some new shoes on my FJ. I am running the stock alloys and I have, more-or-less, narrowed my search to either the 255/75-17 Hankook RF10’s or 285/70-17 Destination AT's.
I really liked the 265/75 16's Revo's that were on my 4Runner but they are not offered in either of these sizes.
My FJ has no lift yet and when it gets one, it will be a mild OME, primarily to support new heavy bumpers and all the camping or music gear I will be toting about.
I kind of like the idea of the thinner Hankook 255/75 tire and would be interested to see what kind of difference it makes in mileage and overall on-road handling but the 285/70 Destination looks like a tire not too dissimilar to my beloved Revo which weighs heavily in its favor.
My FJ is my daily driver and road noise and wet/winter traction is a factor.
I'd appreciate any opinions y'all might share with me on this.
Thanks for all your help.
Mike

#3 ·
Thanks! I did not see the LT285's.

#4 ·
I just put a set of Destination A/T's on my stock rig. I haven't had them that long but i have had them offroad, in the rain, and on the highway. Road noise is slightly higher than stock but that was to be expected after using the stock Dunlops. They are heavier than the stock tires, i went with load range D. I briefly looked at the Hankooks but in 285/70/17 instead of skinnier but wasn't quite as impressed. The revo 2's look nice but not quite as beefy looking as the destinations. I plan to lift it shortly and was lucky that they did not rub so far. I have had them in the mud, the tread gets packed but a quick dose of the skinny pedal and they were clear. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
What size Destinations did you get?

I am now leaning towards the Destinations. Although they do not get much love here, Tirerack reviews are quite good on this tire (ony the Michelins rate higher) but I do not know what size I want.

285/70 or 255/75

Looks like about .6 of an inch difference overall.

This is harder than choosing the right lift!

I am also looking at the 275/70/17's that the Destinations offer as well. Egads!

#11 ·
Thanks for the pics with the recommendations!

Since I am not confused enough, I am also now considering new wheels. Not sure what size though.

Other than the advantage of taller sidewalls for air-down, are there reasons I should consider buying 16" over 17" wheels for my daily driven FJ?

I am searching the snot out of this forum but I've not found a case made for one size over the other.

#13 ·
I was eye-ballin' those. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.