Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Show your rig with 255/85R16s.
Tell us how much lift, and what spacers(if any).

Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm very interested in this as well. I saw the BFG KM2 come in this size. I am curious of gearing and any body mount cutting required.

thanks

John

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Icon Front C/Os with TC UCAs and OME 896 Heavy rears with Icon shocks. I have Maxxis Bighorns and love them. I paid $120 a piece, but that deal dried up and can't find them cheaper than $143 now.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice!
Does your rear window open?
I can't find Maxxis in Austin. Did you order the tires?

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
TCAO'S FJ King Coilovers front and king shocks and custom springs in the rear, about 2" of lift, 255/85R16 BFG Mud Terrain tires, no spacers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anyone else running this size?? Also for those of you running the Maxxis Bighorns, how is the road noise?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you guys noticing any strange handling with the narrower 255's? On another forum, several posters are stating that they are very "sketchy" on the highway, and that they do not feel as stable. I'm running the 255/75/17 BFG MT on my 4Runner and have had no issues.

Reactions: Mt6972

·
Registered
32 Posts
Icon Front C/Os with TC UCAs and OME 896 Heavy rears with Icon shocks. I have Maxxis Bighorns and love them. I paid $120 a piece, but that deal dried up and can't find them cheaper than $143 now.

What rims are you running with the 255'?

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Are you guys noticing any strange handling with the narrower 255's? On another forum, several posters are stating that they are very "sketchy" on the highway, and that they do not feel as stable. I'm running the 255/75/17 BFG MT on my 4Runner and have had no issues.
No issues. I can't imagine how .4" more narrow tire than stock could cause more problems unless those that are complaining are running them with low pressure on the highway...

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have bfg muds in 255/75-17's too and no sketchiness on the highway. The truck handles a lot better than I expected. I agree 0.4" difference isn't much... but variables such as rim width, sidewall stiffness, air pressure, and load will make a significant difference and the driving characteristics.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Anyone else running this size?? Also for those of you running the Maxxis Bighorns, how is the road noise?
I've had three sets of tires on the truck so far - BFG Rugged Trail (Stock), BFG Mud Terrains, and currently the Maxxis Bighorns. Stock tires were pretty much silent so I wont comment on them.

The Mud Terrains were a bit louder than the Bighorns, a constant low hum.

The Bighorns are a little less louder than the M/T's, and I think one of my tires is out of round because I'm getting a whir whir whir noise which breaks up the constant hum. Anyways, theyre still quieter than the M/T's.

I've read quite a few reviews about this tire and theyre one of the quieter mud terrains out there. And I agree with them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had three sets of tires on the truck so far - BFG Rugged Trail (Stock), BFG Mud Terrains, and currently the Maxxis Bighorns. Stock tires were pretty much silent so I wont comment on them.

The Mud Terrains were a bit louder than the Bighorns, a constant low hum.

The Bighorns are a little less louder than the M/T's, and I think one of my tires is out of round because I'm getting a whir whir whir noise which breaks up the constant hum. Anyways, theyre still quieter than the M/T's.

I've read quite a few reviews about this tire and theyre one of the quieter mud terrains out there. And I agree with them.
Awesome thats what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
321 Posts
so is anyone running the 255/85 with stock gears ?? i want to try them with my auto trans and stock (3.72 gears) . i had an 87 4x4 with the 22r cyl motor and ran 33x12.50 tires for over 100,000 miles and it was okay. i tend to think the power of the FJ motor wont require new gears and might help mpg on the highway

·
Registered
32 Posts
While not 255/85/16 (those are coming soon) here is my 4Runner with BFG MT's in 255/75/17 on stock rims.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fireguy - are you running stock or aftermarket gears ?
Stock right now. I can't feel a difference at all. I did notice a 1-2 mpg drop though, especially in heavy traffic. When I go to 255/85/16's I'm going to have 4.56's put in.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
so is anyone running the 255/85 with stock gears ?? i want to try them with my auto trans and stock (3.72 gears) . i had an 87 4x4 with the 22r cyl motor and ran 33x12.50 tires for over 100,000 miles and it was okay. i tend to think the power of the FJ motor wont require new gears and might help mpg on the highway
I ran them from NC to Moab and Ouray for the first FJSummit and from NC to CA (Rubithon), Moab and Ouray again this past summer, without any issues.

Its my opinion that this is the perfect size tire to get the most out of the rig without having to re-gear or other any more expensive mods. My tires were relatively heavy (Super Swamper TrXus MT's) so I think that since it handled them well, most any others of the same size would work as well...

1 - 20 of 107 Posts