Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Wow those look great how do they compare to the BFG ride, height, wear? looking at new tires in the next month or so.
I don’t really care for the bfgs. I like the wear and sidewall strength of the toyos personally. This was my “mpg” set of wheels and tires. I also have toyos in a 35/12.50/17. I’m on my second set of those. Really wish I kept that pizza cutter setup...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for the information now I just need to find a set of 16 wheels.
Wow those look great how do they compare to the BFG ride, height, wear? looking at new tires in the next month or so.
I don’t really care for the bfgs. I like the wear and sidewall strength of the toyos personally. This was my “mpg” set of wheels and tires. I also have toyos in a 35/12.50/17. I’m on my second set of those. Really wish I kept that pizza cutter setup...

·
Registered
216 Posts
What size tires did you have on before?
I just installed my skinny tires, a set of Toyo Open Country M/Ts in 255/85/16. I haven't gotten to drive it much other than the day I put the on, a bit of a hum on the freeway over my A/Ts. I have a slight rub on the drivers side with my OME lift. No problem, i can fix that. The largest problem is i need to get a spacer to get the spare to fit on right, has anyone managed this problem?

Pics

Top is new tires
Bottom is old tires (my other car loves super fat tires)

Also, the new tires put me high enough to scrape my garage door. If i take my highlift and shovel mounts off it will get in without scraping i think. Looks like a great excuse to buy a new roof rack.

·
Registered
42 Posts
255/85r16 st maxx..... love ‘em so far!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Anyone have any ideas on getting a 255/80/17 out past the fender flares?? I'm thinking I want this size tire on an 8" rim but I hate the tires being tucked under my FJ. I would rather not run spacers and I'm not sure a -25mm or so offset will get them out enough for me?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think 255 work better with 7.5 and narrower wheels. The tires seem to lose heigh when you go to wide on wheels. Even my stock 7.5" wheels discount tire had to work to seat the tire. 7" seems ideal.
Anyone have any ideas on getting a 255/80/17 out past the fender flares?? I'm thinking I want this size tire on an 8" rim but I hate the tires being tucked under my FJ. I would rather not run spacers and I'm not sure a -25mm or so offset will get them out enough for me?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I think 255 work better with 7.5 and narrower wheels. The tires seem to lose heigh when you go to wide on wheels. Even my stock 7.5" wheels discount tire had to work to seat the tire. 7" seems ideal.
Yea, I want the most narrow rim I can get but the 17" wheels I've browsed with enough negative offset to get the tires to poke are at least 8" wide. Most I've seen are 9". I sold my wheels spacers and would like to get away with not running them. I like your setup though. I just want the wheel out more on mine.

Is that a one inch spacer you're using? Do you have pics from a little farther away? Yours actually don't look like training wheels in these pics.

·
Registered
216 Posts
1.25 inch spacer wider wheel = less wheel protection. Here is a picture next to my son's FJ with 285 70 R17. The tires stick out about the same.
Yea, I want the most narrow rim I can get but the 17" wheels I've browsed with enough negative offset to get the tires to poke are at least 8" wide. Most I've seen are 9". I sold my wheels spacers and would like to get away with not running them. I like your setup though. I just want the wheel out more on mine.

Is that a one inch spacer you're using? Do you have pics from a little farther away? Yours actually don't look like training wheels in these pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
1.25 inch spacer wider wheel = less wheel protection. Here is a picture next to my son's FJ with 285 70 R17. The tires stick out about the same.
Thanks partner.. those are great comparison pics! I would like mine to be a little farther out. I guess I could go with Ridge Grapplers on stock wheels and 2" spacers.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My first time with 255 as well. Your right handles better not as sluggish stops better and I think works just as good off road.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts