Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched this forum relentlessly and came to the conclusion that I could throw a set of 285/75/16 tires onto my FJ without there being any rubbing.

I have not modified my suspension in any way whatsoever, just running on the factory off-road package. I do have a 2 inch levelling kit to raise the front up an inch if necessary, although I don't think this will really help at all anyways.

The guy at the tire store I went to told me that a levelling kit needs to be paired with a rear diff drop...he cited that the levelling kit will create a change in direction of force on the wheels, basically making the making the tires/wheels feel as though they are leaning in towards the vehicle slightly. Also blathered on about potential issues with the control arms being rubbed against.

I haven't read anything on here about any potential mechanical issues with levelling an FJ out...would really appreciate some words of wisdom from you guys.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
The diff drop goes on the front diff not the rear diff.
A 2" lift does not require a diff drop.
A 3" lift should get a diff drop. (very strong should)
Any lift requires an alignment.
And 285's can rub the UCAs with some rims.

I have heard on people running 285s w/o a lift and no rubbing. But it could be an urban legend too.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You shouldn't rub the body mount or UCA with a 285 but depending on your alignment it is possible to rub the body mount. A diff drop is not required by the 2" or 3" lift depending on how your CV angles look ( should look similar to stock with a 2" lift ).

I'm not sure I'd go to this shop if they don't know what they are doing.

PS, that tire size isn't much if any taller than stock wheels, only 10mm wider.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I just got back from mounting 5 brand new 285/75/16 BFG A/T all the way around, NO RUB at all, no lift, but I am putting the Toytec 2.5" leveling kit on friday.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you all for your help, I will go for it!

I will be mounting these tires to my factory 16" wheels, so I will pray for no rubbing, and hope for the best.

I only paid $90 for my 2" crappy ebay levelling kit...do you guys recommend I pick up the 2.5"front / 1.5"rear levelling kit from daystar / revtech / toytec instead (any reason one may be better than the other?)?

I am scared of the body mount thing...I've read lots of threads about how easy it is, I guess it's just a matter of finding a shop that will do it for me.

Again, really appreciate your responses!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS, that tire size isn't much if any taller than stock wheels, only 10mm wider.
I can't believe it's only 1cm difference...that is shocking. It's crazy that 285/75's are the biggest tire I can fit in there, and that small of a difference could mean it rubs a little. That must mean that with the stock setup, there is only 1cm of tire clearance when at full turn! I am not disputing anything, just expressing my surprise!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
The corner of the tire moves out in both directions because the tire is 3.7% taller and 7.6% wider. It don't seem like much.

·
Registered
549 Posts
That is actually not correct, a 285 is 20mm wider or 2cm. hence 285 vs. stock 265 & being that the sidewall ratio is still 75, its also taller. 2cm is not quite an inch wider, but close. Either way I think you will be fine, especially if you're doing a leveling kit to bring the front up. Mine rubbed after adding wheel spacers to the factory wheels & tires, moving them out 1.25"s but after leveling it is very hard to get it to rub, tho it still does occasionally. When i step up to 285's Ill either ditch the spacers or do the BMC.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wink, that makes sense...

I will update when I have bought and mounted my new tires.

One other question, what happens to your TPMS after you make this type of change?? Does your light stay on all the time now, or does it not affect it at all?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whoops, I screwed up on the thread title!

Yes, I meant 285/75.

I think I am going to go with the Daystar comfort ride 2.5"front / 1.5"rear lift kit!! If there are no other modifications required, this sounds like a totally reasonable modification to make.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Assuming the Tire Tech does not break the sensor (as happened to me) the light operates as normal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts