Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just ordered 5 stock steelies from Les Scwhab (I have the product code for anyone interested). They should be here on Saturday.

Now, I want to run 285/70/17's in a BFG AT tire. I have read posts that say I will need to chop the body mounts, posts that say I will need to lift, and other posts that say stock height and no chop will be okay.

I drive 80 miles a day to an from work and I don't want lift if I don't have to. I do off-road moderately on the weekends. My FJ is otherwise stock.

Have others been able to run this exact setup (I've seen several with the alloy wheels, but couldn't find any with stock steelies) without the chop and without lift?

Thanks for your input.

GPWDFJ

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
sorry brotha i cant help ya as I am in the same situation as you! there doesnt seem to be a definate answer, guess it all depends on lift no lift size of tire, type, using the type you have suggested though I think will be ok w/o the chop. usualy it is the big aggresive tread ones that require it.

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
I ran that configuration (BFG 285 AT's w/ stock wheels and no body mount chop) for some time prior to eventually adding an OME 3" lift. And, even did some moderate off-roading with no noticeable rubbing issues.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm doing the same set up as well....

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ran that configuration (BFG 285 AT's w/ stock wheels and no body mount chop) for some time prior to eventually adding an OME 3" lift. And, even did some moderate off-roading with no noticeable rubbing issues.

LCSteve,

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics and respond. That is what I needed to hear. I don't do any crazy offroading, so if you didn't rub much, I probably won't either the places that I go!.

I do plan on lifting the FJC eventually. I just don't want to throw $300 at something that I will have to take off and replace with somehting that costs another $1800 later. So I am going to try and avoid lifting at all until I can afford coil-overs.

Thanks guys.

Anyone else have pictures of this setup (maybe a black diamond?) I will be running white letters so I would love to see BFG 285/70/17's on a stock black diamond with stock steel wheels. If it exists out there, post it up!

Thanks.

GPWDFJ:rocker:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you should install the wheels and tires first and take a pic or two without the lift and then with the lift. I am not going to lift for a few months.

GPWDFJ

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I run 285s on a 3" lift and they dont rub at all, only when I fully stuff the tire and turn the steering all the way, but even then it barely rubs. No chop!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
742 Posts
but are your tires 285 BFG a/t or no?

I run 285s on a 3" lift and they dont rub at all, only when I fully stuff the tire and turn the steering all the way, but even then it barely rubs. No chop!:bigthumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts