Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all well i just order some new wheels for my FJ and i also ordered some285/70/17 tires for the wheels, my question is i dont like the lok of nice rims on your can and having a spair tire that is a 265/70/17 and a tire cover, so

my question is can i fit a 285/70/17 tire on the back door of the fj with out any problems or will wil the tire rub on the top of the bumper.

i dont want to go waist $$$ buying a spair and it turns out to be my living room table base :cheers::cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I have that size tire on my spare. BFG mud terrain to be exact. nope, it does not rub on the bumper.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
You'll be able to fit it on the back without issues. I haven't heard of issues with tires up to 305. Not sure of 315 though, it's gotta be very close.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx all that makes me happy, now i can go buy this extra rim because they are low in stock and i dont want to wait another 3 months

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just to make sure i am correct, is a 285 tire a 33" tire

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
just to make sure i am correct, is a 285 tire a 33" tire
Check out the tire size calculator posted in the sticky at the tire section of the forum.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have but i wil again thanks

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
i have but i wil again thanks
2.54 cm in 1 inch

285mm/25.4mm = 11.22" wide tire

11.22"x 70% (which is 0.70) = 7.85" tall side walls.

(7.85x2[for each side wall]) + 17"rim = 32.7" tall tire

This is how to calculate tire size from metric into inches, which is more desired from offroaders.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you =)

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
yes they will I was checking out that very same thing this weekend actualy walked right up to a rig and checked it

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks all for the input

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I have 295 on mine with no issues...about 1/8inch between window and about 1/4 between bumper.....think my 295x70x17 works out to 33.1 or 33.2

you will be fine.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cool thx u this helps alot so now i can go order that other rim, what lugs do u guys use on your rig that have rims, i was thinkin about using gorilla, but i dont know there ratio of keys (meaning for every 1000 keys they use the same key again)

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
cool thx u this helps alot so now i can go order that other rim, what lugs do u guys use on your rig that have rims, i was thinkin about using gorilla, but i dont know there ratio of keys (meaning for every 1000 keys they use the same key again)
Keep in mind that just because a tire says 285 doesn't mean it is exactly 32.7 or that a 33 is exactly 33. It maybe a 33 is actually 32.4" in diameter.

I have the stock lugs on the alloys and acorn style gorilla lugs in 12x1.5mm on my pro com steelies.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
i will be getting the BFG A/T does anyone kno the size of those, well to tell you the truth now that i kno they fit it really does not matter lol

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
those in a 285 fit without body mount chop on mine. Tincan runs them and says he has a little rub a full turn. Only difference between our rigs is i have OME lift.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i just want to make sure they wont rub on the body mounot, i know this is discussed alot on the fourm but some say no and some sa yes. does anyone have 285 BFG a/t with a 3" fox lift? if so do u rub in the front on full lock?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts