Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Been reading all over the forum today trying to see if this combo will work for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I currently have some 265 70 17 tires on my FJ with an OLD MAN EMU Medium lift kit. Its about a 2-3 inch lift. I want to upgrade to 285 70 17 BGF AT tires with some Moto Metal 951 wheels. The wheels have a -12 offset.

Will there be any rubbing on this set-up? Will I have to do a body chop?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
There must be hundreds if not thousands of Toyota owners running this same combo...so I say your good to go. If you plan on doing some extreme off road flexing then I suggest the simple body mount chop. The 17X9" rims with a -12 offset means the actual center of the rims where the wheel studs meet is basically half way or centered.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
FWIW, I have a similiar set up and when I went to the 285/70R17 in the Hankook Dynapro MT's I had rubbbing issues....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had new rims and tires installed on my truck. I went with BFG AT's 285/70/17's. My wheels are 17X9 with a +5 offset. The only rubbing I have is at full lock. I took it off road and as long as I didn't turn it hard, no rubbing. I don't have a lift, level, or any spacers. We did discuss doing a minor body mount chop which really isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
The problem is when you factor in the wheel width. If you take an 8" wheel and a 9" wheel with 0 offset, the 9" wheel will be 1/2" closer to the upper control arm (half of the difference in width)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts