Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a set of BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO tires for my stock FJ. Will they fit without rubbing without a lift? Will I have to worry about backspacing with 285s?

I do mostly street driving, but try and get in the Colorado mountains every weekend.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
You need to do a body mount chop I had that size tire for a year or so. If you use the search function up top..look up body mount chop. Very easy to do and not expensive if done by others. they will fit

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
You're going to rub. You'll rub even more when you take it off road. A chop will help, but when really flexed, you'll still rub.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
OH crap I actually had 285/75/16's (16" rims) perhaps that's why they didnt' rub ever even fully articulated?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
If you don't want to do a body mount chop, but still want to use those tire w/o too much rubbing you can just get a spacer lift, which is relatively cheap.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Wonder if I'm missing something here, because I don't think I had rubbing pre-lift. But I didn't do any serious off roading until after the lift either.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I am actually going to disagree with a few people on this issue.

I had the 285's on stock rims and did not rub before i had the mounts chopped. Even when wheeling with these tires, i did not rub.
While i do have the OME lift on, all the lift does is change the neutral position of the tire/suspension in it's range of articulation.

FJammin, where are you talking about that he will rub at??? As in his tire will rub the inner fender when fully compressed???

Another local member had these on with no lift, and only rubbed going in reverse at full turn. So i think it also had to do with how your alignment is set up.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I am actually going to disagree with a few people on this issue.

I had the 285's on stock rims and did not rub before i had the mounts chopped. Even when wheeling with these tires, i did not rub.
While i do have the OME lift on, all the lift does is change the neutral position of the tire/suspension in it's range of articulation.

FJamming, where are you talking about that he will rub at??? As in his tire will rub the inner fender when fully compressed???

Another local member had these on with no lift, and only rubbed going in reverse at full turn. So i think it also had to do with how your alignment is set up.
I probably shouldn't be so absolute when I commented on rubbing. The reality is that some people rub and some don't. It really depends on the type of tire, alignment settings, specific rims, and a little bit of luck. I do recall a few people not having issues, but also remember that they weren't all that aggressive with their off road activity either. If anything, err on the side of caution and don't assume that you won't have any issues.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I probably shouldn't be so absolute when I commented on rubbing. The reality is that some people rub and some don't. It really depends on the type of tire, alignment settings, specific rims, and a little bit of luck. I do recall a few people not having issues, but also remember that they weren't all that aggressive with their off road activity either. If anything, err on the side of caution and don't assume that you won't have any issues.
Post of the week!

·
Registered
624 Posts
I rubbed on the front mud flaps with my KM2s under full lock, just took them off and all is well, but I plan to be lifted later on this summer. The KOs are bit smaller in diameter then the KM2s at the 285/70/17 size, meaning they should be a tad bit thinner too if the aspect ratio holds true, so in my non-professional opinion, you should be ok. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I knew it:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 285/17R on my 2007FJ and my left front tire rubs the fender well, so i'm lifting with a 3" Toytec to see if things change, I will let you know as I pick it up today,

·
Registered
422 Posts
285/70/17...

Aftermarket rims and wheel spacers usually cause the rubbing IMHO.

I ran 285/70/17 Revo's on stock rims with no lift without any rub.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
depends on wheels.....and tires......if you are without any lift or spacers.

Nitto Terra Grapplers, 295x70x17 with alloy 17inch wheels...no lift.... Rubbed when entering driveway, offroading, or turning left at pretty good speeds to induce body roll.

Added 3" ToyTec OME lift with MEDIUM and MEDIUM springs front and rear.... No more rub at all even when offroading.

I think you will rub with them...but not when on staright roads....wont be bad but will be annoying and will wear a hole in the rubber mudflap over body mounts in front fenderwells.

I did not want to chop and weld and crap so I did the OME lift...... either will work but I wanted the one that is less invasive and new I wanted better suspension anyhow.

Glad I waited to see if I needed to chop....glad I dont.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts