Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased the FJ, the previous owner drove a LOT of highway miles and the Goodyear tires were great for that. However they lacked any sort of "Wow" factor. So here is the BEFORE shot:

Delivery Day:

Mounted and balanced at Discount Tire:

Beauty shot:

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
I'm getting these exact tires (size and trail grapplers) installed this week, I can't wait! Stupid BFG "Rugged Trail" tires, I have to run screaming every time I see more than an inch of snow or mud.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Out of curiosity since I was looking at the same combo of rim and tire could I get away with getting these at stock ride height? I am pretty sure I read here that that 285/70/16 work on stock ride height but I am just checking. Please let me know

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out of curiosity since I was looking at the same combo of rim and tire could I get away with getting these at stock ride height? I am pretty sure I read here that that 285/70/16 work on stock ride height but I am just checking. Please let me know
Even though the tire is stamped OD 32.00 when I put a tape measure to it, it is only slightly larger than a 31" tire. I don't think you would have any rubbing issues at all with this size. I don't even come close to hitting the body mount. I have the Toytec in the front, but it is bottomed out and it's there only to support the ARB front bumper.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need to see any specific photos.

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

Put your current tires on there and then the new ones, and you'll get an idea of how big of a difference the new ones will make.

I'm currently running BFG Rugged Trail 265/75R16's, and these Nitto Trail Grappler 285/70R16's are barely bigger, .8 inches wider at the tread but only .04 inches larger in diameter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome, so according to this I would be at

Section Width: 10.43 in 265 mm

vs the below with the 16inc rim

Section Width: 11.22 in 285 mm

I think that should work

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wish Nitto made more sizes for that tire: I'd like to see a 255 85 16 or 285 75 16 to get a real 33" tire on a 16" rim.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Looks good! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
4,838 Posts
Got my Trail Grappler's yesterday, LOVE LOVE LOVE 'em. Look GREAT. They're quiet! Makes the FJ look like a TANK.

·
Registered
207 Posts
MMMMmmmmm I love the Trail Grapplers! Price aside, they are the best tires I have ever owned. Believe I hit 2 years soon and still get pumped to look at them!

You are in for a treat both on and off road. Friends still can't believe how tame my ride is for how aggressive the tire.

-Jimmy

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Are those the clear finish or matte black? I'm torn between these or ATX Mojave's.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
god, im in love with those wheels! I'll be getting those next for sure!

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Those wheels look damn good, and the tires too. And that ARB bumper is really growing on me too.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
The method wheels (17"x8.5", 0 offset) are nice too, in powdercoated Gunmetal with clear coat

Tires are Toyo MT, 295/70/17

1 - 20 of 25 Posts