Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just had some 285/70r17 firestone destination a/t's put on my unlifted FJ with no body mount chop and I am ecstatic to report that there is no rubbing whatsoever!! :rocker::rocker: looks muuuuuch better than the 245/75r17 continental highway tires the previous owner had on there and it rides much better now too :rofl:

·
Registered
260 Posts
That's awesome! I hear mixed reports on 285 70 r17's rubbing. I'm hoping to put that size on mine as well. Thx for the report.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I heard mixed things too and decided to go for it and just assume they would rub. I found a shop beforehand that would do the body mount chop for me and got a quote for it. I was definitely expecting rubbing and was happily surprised! I would recommend this approach!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update, if I whip into a parking lot fast enough to tilt the body a bit and turn it just right I can hear slight rubbing but other than that it's still good to go!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Not rubbing during street driving is not the same as not rubbing...

Reactions: jimmy-buffett

·
Registered
260 Posts
How about some pics of these new shoes?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Fwiw, rubbing is a matter of tire size, wheel setup, UCA, and alignment (caster). Get it all perfect and you'll have plenty of clearance. I've ran 34x 10.5x16s and no rub even offroad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey I just had some 285/70r17 firestone destination a/t's put on my unlifted FJ with no body mount chop and I am ecstatic to report that there is no rubbing whatsoever!! :rocker::rocker: looks muuuuuch better than the 245/75r17 continental highway tires the previous owner had on there and it rides much better now too ?
What year is your ride?

·
Desert Moderator
7,689 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did get a notification. Thank you. I just got my fj in feb and notice the noise dive it naturally has. I do how ever wanted to put bigger tires on. So I got toyo open country at2 on a big sale at Walmart for 160 each. Reg 225ish. 285/70r17. Just wanted to know if o course for these on with out a lift without any issues. The info I get is mixed. Some say must do a life and some say not needed. So I thought I would ask someone what the same year as mine, 2012, that is stock and tire size I got.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts