Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally had a chance to install my Fox Shox 2.0 Front Coilovers and Rear Shocks this past weekend and it's now for my next mod. My ride does look bad-ass w/ the 3" lift and w/ my TTSE wheels wrapped in 265 BFG AT tires but it's still not enough for me. I would most likely go with Nitto Terra Grapplers but I don't know what size I should go with, 285 or 305? Keep in mind, this is my daily driver and I do go offroading when time permits.

Here are a few questions I need help answering before I can make up my mind:

1) How much mpg would I be loosing - 285? 305?
2) Is a body mount chop required for 285? 305?
3) Will I encounter any rubbing on 285? 305?
4) Are spacer (front and rear) required for 285? 305?
5) Is there any other mods required for 285? 305?
6) Is there any strain to the suspension or body for either 285 or 305?
7) Do I need to change my gearing for either 285 or 305? If so, how much would that cost me for parts and installation?
8) Which tire size do you recommend?

That's all the questions that I have so if you can help me out, I would definitely appreciate it.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I would go with 285's.
You will have better mileage. Most people don't rub with a 285 on stock rims.
Have less impact on the drivetrain.

With a 305 size, you will probably have to chop the mounts. If your offroading involves a lot of full articulation you MAY need to worry about extending bump stops or fender trimming. None of this is needed with 285's.

Just my opinion. 3" lift and 285's (33's) are the ideal set-up for the FJ cruiser.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Go with the more conservative setup. I second what Layton said above. It's your DD, that's the setup you'll enjoy more.

·
Registered
630 Posts
With 305's, you will most likely have to chop,.....or get spacers,....or both. I know, because I have 305's (I have 33x12.5's), and I had to chop, and I have spacers (spidertrax). It's all in what you want. I love the stability and the wider stance look from the spidertrax. The chop is NOT a big deal......a sawzall and 20 min, and it's over.......piece of cake. But, like others have said,......with 285's.....you don't have to do anything. I wanted the "beefier", wider stance look. That's why I did what I did and I don't regret it. Good luck.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I was going to ask this question , and not to hijack but i have 1 more question - will 305/70R16 fit on TT 16in rims - or are they to wide?
They will fit, you just need some wheel spacers to clear the UCAs.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have 305/70/16 I will never go back to 285's they look way more beefier, and it rolls over obstacles easier! I have the body mount chop and chances are you will need to do it..the cost is not much. I have no spacers on my rig..with no rubbing issues even at full articulation!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I was going to ask this question , and not to hijack but i have 1 more question - will 305/70R16 fit on TT 16in rims - or are they to wide?
They will fit, but it is not recomended. The stock wheels are 7.5 inches wide. Any tire shop will tell you that that is too wide of a tire for that width of a rim. For a tire that wide, you should have a wheel that is at least 8-8.5 inches wide. Others will chime in and tell you that they did it and it's fine, so.......do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was going to ask this exact same question.. I have the WER setup. I will be running Nitto Terra grapplers as well. My other question was the difference between the load ratings. The 305 is a E rating and the 285 is a D rating. Will this make any difference dd or offroading with them aired down?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I was going to ask this exact same question.. I have the WER setup. I will be running Nitto Terra grapplers as well. My other question was the difference between the load ratings. The 305 is a E rating and the 285 is a D rating. Will this make any difference dd or offroading with them aired down?
If you are going with Nitto Terra Grap's, then go with 295/70/17. Weird size, but Nitto makes it in the Terra Grap's. Wider than the 285, but not as wide as the 305. They should be ok for the stock wheels and I like the Nitto TG's alot. Good on and off-road. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts