Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered these tires i hope i choose a good tire, hopefully they last. Im undecided on to chop my mounts or not considering someone on here has a sandstorm same tires same lift no chop and no rubbing. Should i just chop to make sure and be safe. Toyota dealer is charging me 200.00 to do the chop not bad considering the tech said he is going to make it look like its stock. I dont think i will lose anything on the trade in with the chop done?

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
I think you're the first person brazen enough to have the dealer do the modification to the body mount. Just the fact that they're going to do it for you throws me for a loop. $200.00 is pretty reasonable. My fab guy charged me $150.00. I've got the Toyo MT's on my rig and love em'. You've seen them in action. Good luck with all the work. Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its because my dealer is awesome also doesnt hurt that i give them a ton of business and a lot of money.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we have to go wheeling again, you guys have any trails out there?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
i would try fitting the tires first to see if its needed. If you do need a chop I would buy a grinder for 30 bucks and do it yourself. No one will ever notice if you do the chop so I wouldnt worry to much.
I wouldn't unless you are also a welder. You need to box in the area that you chop off to retain it's strength.
I took mine to a reputable 4x4 custom fabrication shop near my Baton Rouge and they did the job for 138. It is as close to the rubber bushing as allowable, is round (instead of some jobs that look like they just sawed off the piece that sticks out and slapped some flat steel on it), and looks factory.

I would NEVER allow my dealership to do this unless they have done custom fab and welding jobs a ton in the past. I would require seeing previous work by them before you just let some HS drop out start welding on your frame.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the tech that i am getting to do it is a welder/ he's been doing this kind of work for over 20 years and he's been wheeling and doing custom work for the past 15 years so its in good hands. But i know what you mean there are some HS drop outs working at the dealerships and i would never let them touch my rig.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
well the tech that i am getting to do it is a welder/ he's been doing this kind of work for over 20 years and he's been wheeling and doing custom work for the past 15 years so its in good hands. But i know what you mean there are some HS drop outs working at the dealerships and i would never let them touch my rig.
Good, as long as you know the guy that is going to be doing it has experience. I think i am just bitter towards my dealership, okay rant over.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i guess thats the trend going around this forum, i know its hard to find a good dealer, this is the only dealer i will bring my rig too,

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
i guess thats the trend going around this forum, i know its hard to find a good dealer, this is the only dealer i will bring my rig too,
I've actually had no gripes about my dealer either. Just had the drivers side axle seal replaced and a new starter put in no questions asked. I actually called the service manager, told him my seal was leaking and he said "You're sure it's the axle seal"? I answered "Yes". He said "I let you know when it comes in." That was it. No, bring it down so we can look at it B.S.! Same with my starter, and that was probably the result of foreign matter getting in the solenoid.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do you know the psi level to put in these tires? I think the dealer checks and adjusts my psi level every 5k but i just want to make sure that its at the correct level for perfect long lasting wear.

Thats good to hear that you have a good dealer thats covering your rig considering its modified to a point most dealers would turn there head as soon as you pull in.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bump

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have to go buy a camera ill do that today they look real nice. They fill out the empty space.

·
Registered
160 Posts
do you know the psi level to put in these tires? I think the dealer checks and adjusts my psi level every 5k but i just want to make sure that its at the correct level for perfect long lasting wear.

Thats good to hear that you have a good dealer thats covering your rig considering its modified to a point most dealers would turn there head as soon as you pull in.
I just bought 285/70 Toyos and according to the manufactures website I believe I read they reccommend using the factory label on the door jam-32 psi cold. Nice choice by the way.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have those same tires (Toyo MT 285/75/16 on my stock wheels) with Toytec/OME lift. I haven't had any rubbing, but i'm not hard core either. I had the tires on for a day before installing the lift and they almost rubbed, but didn't - i'm sure they would have offroad though. Now I think we're all clear. Here's a few pics. Yes, I sell doorknobs and it is as glamorous as you would imagine.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ya i thought that it wouldn't rub but i just had the mounts chopped anyways, tell you what the toyota dealer was very good made it look very factory looking, these tires are a bit pricey but i guess thats what you get when you want quality.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Everyday I want 16" rims More and More and MORE !... :(..

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
k i been putting off getting pics up, but i will seriously try to post some this weekend

1 - 20 of 20 Posts