Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does one size offer over the other?

What is preferred for an Icon coilover in front and OME med in the rear.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts

One taller then the other (more meat), that`s about it :) If you don`t have body mount chop, 285/75x17 will be a problem, even with the lift that you are planning to install.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
An inch difference in diameter, depending somewhat on the brand of tire.

The better question would be, what are you going to do with your FJC?

I'm running 285/75/17 Toyo mud tires on mine with Icon coilovers on the front, OME medium in the rear, and a body mount chop. They rub a little in the rear fender wells on the trail, if you really flex and stuff the tires. I ended up re-gearing my diffs because these tires are just over 34" in diameter and the resulting "rubber overdrive" final gearing drove me and my cruise control crazy on the highway.

The same tire in 285/70/17 is only 33" tall, with less rubbing problems and less hassle gearing-wise on the highway. Yes, one inch in the right place can make that big of a difference. But the 75 tires also give you another 1/2" of ground clearance on the trail, and depending on what kind of trails you like, every little bit helps.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
One taller then the other (more meat), that`s about it :) If you don`t have body mount chop, 285/75x17 will be a problem, even with the lift that you are planning to install.
I ran 285 BFGs on stock wheels before my lift. No rubbing on and offroad. I added my OME lift, still no rubbing (with body mount not chopped).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts