Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've had the FJ for awhile and decided I wanted to get her out and shake out the good ship and crew.

Went up Left Hand trail head, took a right and had a great time... till I got to the large "intersection" up top. At first, I saw 286D (?), the one that winds up the wash out and has some REALLY big rocks, well I did OK till I found those large rocks. Decided with no spotter, lift, serious armor and the cheap tires that came with the rig, this was not going to be fun. (and might cost me a lot!)

So I came back down. As a kid, I could have swore you could go down one trail and it ended up on the other side of the mtn... so I saw 286E and off I went, thinking it was said trail.

286E is NOT for a single rider and rig, especially if said driver hasn't been off roading since 1998! (Fireman Hill) But, I did make it to the top and back down with no damage and clean shorts! Thought I was gonna bury the nose and send her ass over tea kettle coming back down on one of the switch backs ... but lucky for me I was in 4L and 1st gear. The FJ made me look good...

Just a quick note... hope I can catch y'all next time and get a better feel for the place with someone with a lot more experience then me!!

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Nice! 286E is the trail that took out my passenger side front bumper wing. :)

Speaking of which - I got a free stock FJ bumper from High Country 4x4 (thanks to whoever the donor was!) so I've replaced that wing and have a couple of spare parts now.

Did you go through the squeeze and all the way to the top? It's the slabby obstacle with the big v-notch down the center.

Anyhow, congratulations! Hope to meet you sometime on one of the trail runs. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I "think" it was E or maybe D.
Not sure what the "squeeze" is.. (reference is headed up the hill) Is it the area towards the top after you take a right, or the one at the very top that kinda in the switchback itself? Either way...I was lucky enough to make it to the top, and back down, in one piece. It was wild to see how the fire had stopped at that road.

I guess this ISN'T the place to put your trail runs in... or I'm doing something wrong!

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
That's the trail we did for this one here recently...
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/colorado/125381-my-final-big-co-run-mid-april.html

I stopped at a big rock obstacle (photos 1, 2 & 3) on my way up 286E when I did a pre-run of this trail just before the one linked above.

This is the place they call 'the Squeeze'...

That was from when we did that run in 2010.

As for the road that goes down the other side of the mountain.... there are a couple that may be what you're talking about.

From the upper kiosk (which it sounds like you didn't get to if you didn't go past 'the squeeze'), you can either go back down 286 or go to the East a bit and take Fireman Hill back down....it eventually winds back down to the lower kiosk at Five Points.

In years past, another option was to take Castle Gulch down on the West side. That goes all the way down to James Canyon. However, due to forest users not respecting the land owner whose property the trail goes through, they closed it, and it is no longer a way out from the Lefthand trails complex.

Glad you got out of there with everything still in one piece, and hope to meet out on a trail sometime soon.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So... I need to amend my story! I did NOT make it to the top of 286E...

I got the the Squeeze, but was turned around there... So 286E was incorrect. Sorry. this pic is the open area before you take the right and really engage on 286E

That was my first adventure. I, then, turned around and make my way back to 5 Points.

The trail I took is off the the left and starts off downing downward...

Is it 286C or D that winds up the side of the hill and has some hairy switchbacks at the top? That's the trail I made it to the top.
Here is a pic looking South from said trail, dang near the top...

And just because I have you here... Is there a good Trail book that covers the Front Range or do you need to get a local type topo, etc?

I REALLY need to get tires and armor....

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
So... I need to amend my story! I did NOT make it to the top of 286E...

I got the the Squeeze, but was turned around there... So 286E was incorrect. Sorry. this pic is the open area before you take the right and really engage on 286E

That was my first adventure. I, then, turned around and make my way back to 5 Points.

The trail I took is off the the left and starts off downing downward...

Is it 286C or D that winds up the side of the hill and has some hairy switchbacks at the top? That's the trail I made it to the top.
Here is a pic looking South from said trail, dang near the top...

And just because I have you here... Is there a good Trail book that covers the Front Range or do you need to get a local type topo, etc?

I REALLY need to get tires and armor....

I'm not positive, but that last shot looks like you may have been on Fireman Hill. If so....it's the one that has a couple different rock obstacle places out in the open (not in a wooded area) that also each has a bypass....the ones I'm thinking of have the obstacle to the West and the bypass to the East, and while you're there, you can look out and see the plains below really well.

As for documentation on trail saround here, the best single source is Trail Damage. However, there are other resources as well, like the books that Rob was trying to sell before heading back East last week.

If you're going to be doing anything in the National Forest areas, you should also pick up a free MVUM (Motor Vehicle Use Map) for the Boulder Ranger District (and/or whichever other ones they have on-hand). They are very important tools to help make sure we're driving where we're allowed to drive out there.

You can pick them up from the Nat. Forest office on highway 36 on the far North end of Boulder, here.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ocr14,

Per usual, you provide more information then I knew needed to know.
I thank you sir!! Will run by the Ranger Station and get that today and added Trail Damage to the Fav's list.

Yes, Fireman Hill is where I was. Beautiful views from the top...
I shouldn't have done it alone and with such little recent experience.
Mostly the MT. Have always had a AT. But hey... not one hurt and the rig
lived to see another adventure... lessen learned, Aye Sir!

Thank you all for setting me straight on where the hell I was...
Beautiful day. Met some wonderful people at 5 points, gonna call it a win.

See you out there soon!

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Yeah it's always good to read up on the trails..not to say that it would prevent anything... I got myself all worked up about a trail that I didn't want to do once, decided to take another trail that was in the same area, and that trail was worse :lol::lol:

I love Lefthand Canyon.. she will test ya ;)

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
ocr14,

I thank you sir!! Will run by the Ranger Station and get that today and added Trail Damage to the Fav's list.

Yes, Fireman Hill is where I was. Beautiful views from the top...
I shouldn't have done it alone and with such little recent experience.
Mostly the MT. Have always had a AT. But hey... not one hurt and the rig
lived to see another adventure... lessen learned, Aye Sir!

Thank you all for setting me straight on where the hell I was...
Beautiful day. Met some wonderful people at 5 points, gonna call it a win.

See you out there soon!
glad to help :bigthumb:

USGS topo maps are good too. They (obviously) give a lot more detail at a much higher resolution. You can get anything you want in that category from the USGS office at the Denver Federal Center out in Lakewood.

Oh, and it's also good to have public/private land data if you can gather it too. The easiest place I can think of to get it is the Colorado Atlas and Gazetteer.

For a more detailed analysis of public/private boundaries (like, if you're gonna wheel out to some spot and intend to go hunting or anything like that), you can look at the BLM topo maps. They have (or used to, anyway) a large assortment of these at the Boulder Map Gallery.

Doh!...

ocr14,

:lol:
Hope it's not TMI :rofl:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No No... been out of the game so long, I don't want to bash up anything or make myself look dumber then I really am!

I know where the map place in Lakewood is.. since I can walk up, I will get all of the Front Range/Moab/Ouray area/etc etc...

Heck, and get enough for anyone who wants one!

Do you know what they charge for the topo's ocr14?

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
No No... been out of the game so long, I don't want to bash up anything or make myself look dumber then I really am!

I know where the map place in Lakewood is.. since I can walk up, I will get all of the Front Range/Moab/Ouray area/etc etc...

Heck, and get enough for anyone who wants one!

Do you know what they charge for the topo's ocr14?
Since I'm such a social cripple, I usually end up looking dumber than I am anyway, but who cares? :lol:

Prices? Sorry, no idea. I have gone there a few times for various things, but it's been a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts