Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be getting a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers sometime this week. I am wondering is it safe to run a 295/70/r17 on the stock alloy rim? The guy at the tire place told me that I run the risk of losing a bead when I air down the tires for offroading if I were to go with the 295? Whats the major difference between the two sizes? I'm pretty sure that the 295's are .6 in taller than the 285's but that's about all I know. My main reason for asking is that I hate the look of the stock tires with my three inch lift because they look soooo tiny and I'm worried that the 285's wont fit the wheel well well (lol) enough.
Thanks in advance, and if you have pictures of the two sizes please post them so that I and anyone else facing this decision can see the difference.

Thanks!!!

Also, strangely, the 295's are a bit cheaper (about $10) cheaper than the 285's

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
You'll be okay with the 295s. Buy whatever is cheaper

Didn't you already ask this exact question in another thread?

You'd be okay running 315s on stock rims. Lots of folks doing it. Haven't heard of one loosing a bead due to the tire width.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll be okay with the 295s. Didn't you already ask this exact question in another thread?

You'd be okay running 315s on stock rims. Lots of folks doing it. Haven't heard of one loosing a bead due to the tire width.
I mentioned it in a different thread, but didn't actually pose the question. ;)

Also, how much skinnier would a 255/85/17 BFG KM2 be compared to the 295 nitto?

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
I mentioned it in a different thread, but didn't actually pose the question. ;)

Also, how much skinnier would a 255/85/17 BFG KM2 be compared to the 295 nitto?
The first number is the width (according to the manufacturer) in millimeters.
1inch = 2.54cm = 25.4mm

A difference of 40mm between the two, = 1.57"
The 255 is a 10" wide tire, the 295 is an 11.5" wide tire.

How are you picking out what tire you want to run? The terra grapplers are a mild all terrain and the KM2s are an aggressive mud terrain. If the terra grappler is your number one choice, i wouldn't even think the KM2s would be an option. I would think you would be deciding between something like the BFG ATs, Goodyear Duratracs, etc.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also hate the look of stock-size tires with 3'' lift on mine, but I wouldn't go with 295, even if it can fit without rubbing. Speedometer reading would be 5.2% slower than with stock tires and if I remember correctly +/-3% is the max you can safely size up or down. My FJ is my daily driver, lots of highway, 285 is the maximum I would go. But if you only take yours off-road it could be a different story.

my $0.02

·
Registered
535 Posts
I really like the KM2 tires, but maybe it is just me. I think the 255/80/17's look a little silly being so skinny. LOL I am just a weirdo maybe.
really not sure what to think of the terra grapplers.
The General Grabber makes an awesome looking tire called AT2.
see check that out and see if they are in your size.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The first number is the width (according to the manufacturer) in millimeters.
1inch = 2.54cm = 25.4mm

A difference of 40mm between the two, = 1.57"
The 255 is a 10" wide tire, the 295 is an 11.5" wide tire.

How are you picking out what tire you want to run? The terra grapplers are a mild all terrain and the KM2s are an aggressive mud terrain. If the terra grappler is your number one choice, i wouldn't even think the KM2s would be an option. I would think you would be deciding between something like the BFG ATs, Goodyear Duratracs, etc.
My heart really wants a MT but I cant afford one unless its a pizza cutter. If I had infinite money to spend I would get something like the General Grabber, KM2, or Firestone destination in the 295/70/17 size. I really love the look of the KM2's and would love that tire on my FJ but the only size I can afford is the 255/85/17 which costs about $196 which is the same as the 295/70/17 terra grappler. Hope that explains why my choices in tire are so different haha.

EDIT: Here's the website that I'm using to see different sizes for anyone else that might need it http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I also hate the look of stock-size tires with 3'' lift on mine, but I wouldn't go with 295, even if it can fit without rubbing. Speedometer reading would be 5.2% slower than with stock tires and if I remember correctly +/-3% is the max you can safely size up or down. My FJ is my daily driver, lots of highway, 285 is the maximum I would go. But if you only take yours off-road it could be a different story.

my $0.02
HAHAHAHAHA, no! First of all, most people on here don't give a crap if their spedo is off! Second, you can safely run 35's without a problem, just read around this forums.

I can completely understand your argument for you not wanting to go over a 33" tire, which is what I assume is what you meant by a 285 (285/70/17 most likely). You are probably concerned about mileage, comfort, and not loosing too much power. 295/70/17 is not much larger at all than a 285/70/17, but it does look a good bit meaner (taller and wider) for some reason.

B.O.W:
I think you are going to be happier with a wider tire. You seem to like the looks of the KM2, but not necissarily in a pizza cutter size...neither do I. I say you either wait and save up money for the 285/70/17 KM2's, or you buy the 295/70/17 Terra Grapplers. I think you personally will be happier with the way the wider tires look. The Terra Grapplers, even though they are a mild all terrain, rock offroad, I have seen them follow right behind my KM2's through some muddy trails and rocks. Ultimately, its your choice, do what you think will make you the happiest.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
B.O.W:
I think you are going to be happier with a wider tire. You seem to like the looks of the KM2, but not necissarily in a pizza cutter size...neither do I. I say you either wait and save up money for the 285/70/17 KM2's, or you buy the 295/70/17 Terra Grapplers. I think you personally will be happier with the way the wider tires look. The Terra Grapplers, even though they are a mild all terrain, rock offroad, I have seen them follow right behind my KM2's through some muddy trails and rocks. Ultimately, its your choice, do what you think will make you the happiest.
I believe your right. And the best news of the week is that I just got my cheque from Dobbs. I am going to call and have the new tire place get a set of the 295 terra grapplers from the warehouse. I can't wait!!!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I believe your right. And the best news is the week is that I just got my cheque from Dobbs. I am going to call and have the new tire place get a set of the 295 terra grapplers from the warehouse. I can't wait!!!:bigthumb:
Nice choice! Zero regrets, that's the way to do it! Enjoy them!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice choice! Zero regrets, that's the way to do it! Enjoy them!
Thanks Bro I cant wait to get them. Maybe I'll have them by Friday or even tomorrow if I call them during weight training tomorrow haha. Then I can stop by and get them installed on my way home from school.

Also, I think I remember seeing that you got your tube bender. Good luck with your fab and I can't wait to see what you get! Your sliders look great to!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Thanks Bro I cant wait to get them. Maybe I'll have them by Friday or even tomorrow if I call them during weight training tomorrow haha. Then I can stop by and get them installed on my way home from school.

Also, I think I remember seeing that you got your tube bender. Good luck with your fab and I can't wait to see what you get! Your sliders look great to!:bigthumb:
Thanks man. This weekend we are going to assemble the bender and make a mount for it, then we will get to the fabricating. Lacrosse season is coming up though, so that will put a damper in the work, but we should get some stuff done quick.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Oh, and don't forget to post pics when you get the tires on!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Should be getting them tomorrow just in time for our snow storm!!!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, screwed over by local tire shop again. Called over on Saturday morning and they told me they would call back on Monday in the early am. So, today is Monday and they hadn't called by 1:30 so I told my dad to call over there. Turns out that they only had two tires and that to get the other two I had to pay an additional $75 for the shipping and this was after he told me on Saturday that they would have four for me. So then I asked if they would cover the shipping costs and they said "no we can't eat the $75." I then said fine, I will be ordering from somewhere else and made it clear to them that they had just lost $1000 worth of business over a ridiculous $75 charge, that if in the first place the guy would have told me about there wouldn't have been a problem. The best part is though, that they guy as I was walking out goes "Is that an Old Man Emu lift?" I said yeah. Then he goes "It looks nice, and if you buy tires from discount tire, make sure to come in and we will mount them up for you."

Should have listened to the forum in the first place and ordered from Discount Tire.
Thanks a lot Plaza Tire :thefinger:

·
Registered
699 Posts
I run a 295 70R 17 on a stock rim. Works absolutely great. Only downfall with the 295 is it is not as common of a size. I need a second set right about now and there are not ANY in Canada. 0... Kal Tire can not get me this size. My search started a month back and the soonest date they told me to check back is 2 weeks from now, and its not a guarantee they will have them. I have tried american sites and most 295 70 17 for the TG are no longer available either.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just ordered from Discount Tire Direct. Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts