Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2N17X - is a romantically named trail in the San Bernardino Mountains, which connects at its northern end with highway 173, near highway 138, and just a few miles east of the I-15 freeway as it passes up and out of the Los Angeles basin. I'm not sure why it's 2N17X rather than just 2N17 - maybe the "X" is for extreme :) Seriously, it's not that extreme.

The trail is mainly along ridges, with beautiful views of the high desert, the mountains themselves (with a mix of brush and even pine forests), and Silverwood Lake. The photos and videos in this post were taken on an April 19, 2008 run that followed the Southern California "Meet and Greet IV" event. There are some more nice photos here and in this post from a different run. The photos and videos on this page are in chronological order.

The google map page showing the I-15, the 138, and the 173 is here. The trail is off the 173 just after it splits from the 138. The trail is shown in this google map satellite image heading south from the 173 at image top center.

Map of 2N17X indicated by yellow highlighting. The trail ends at the 2N33 (blue highlight):

The trail head on the northern side starts from a right hand turn off the east-bound 173. The trail is hardtop for the first mile or so. This is our crew forming up and airing down:

The first significant obstacle is this hill climb, where the 2N17X splits from the lakeside 2N33 trail. If you keep hugging the lake, you're not on 2N17X anymore. The bottom of the first climb is the worst obstacle you see for a bit, but not the most difficult on the trail. Here photos and movies of us getting up this first climb:

video1 - youtube
video1 - vimeo
video2 - vimeo
video3
video4

Alot of the trail is on ridge lines:

Nice photos of the view of the valley to the north from atop the first rise (photos from Bob Basinger):

Then some nice winding trails through low brush:

Video5 - vimeo

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The most tricky obstacle is a long climb with some small steps near the top. There is a bypass to the right, but that's hardly child's play, either.

Video 6
Video 7
Video 8
Video 9
Video 10

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
On the ridges it can get really windy, but very scenic:
Video 11

As the trail progresses, it reaches up into the pine trees. There's a nice section of true "avenue" where the trail is completely under pine tree canopy:

As you emerge from the pine tree canopy, the trail is deeply rutted on the right side, and the vehicles lean quite dramatically. The trick here is to get the right tire on the steep wall and try to balance the vehicle as much as possible. Giving in to fear of the wall and trying to keep distance from it makes the tilt worse and ironically makes contact with the wall more likely. Check out the different lines in the video:
Video 12

Gratuitous shot of my truck: :)))

More trail:

A nice, steep descent:

Video 13 - vimeo

And one more nice scramble uphill:

Video 14 - vimeo
Video 15 - vimeo

The crew from the April 19 run:

Trail's end:

Dorky mistake by me on way down needed winch recovery (lesson: don't try three-point-turn on mountain trails :)):

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
OOOH these are the ones I've been waiting for, impatiently. That was one fun trail with a couple pooper pucker areas. I wouldnt recomend this trail to anyone with a fear of heights, lack of experience, no confidence, small testicles, unlocked diff or loose skidplates. Definitly the best the cleghorn area has to offer. Lukily the only carnage was on the very first incline, the 4 runner brothas skids cut loose. truthfully though I think it was a good thing because he turned back before the hard stuff. I seriously doubt it would of made it without lockers. Awesome time though and always good to meet and cruise with new folks. Till next time, Aloha!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures. How long did it take you guys to run it? Did you exit to Pilot Rock?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mark,
Thanks for posting our 2N17x run in such detail. We made it all the way though this trail with a great group. It was nice wheelin with both new and familiar faces. Good Times:cheers:

Group at the completion of 2N17X.

Group airing down, except Bob:)

Mark leading the group.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Mark, what were your impression of the tires? What psi did you run? I didn't do the hard trails so I was only down to 18 (preset Stauns).

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Vry cool vids, I like the comment on tha last one"it's steeper than it looks in the movie."

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Wow nice update. Looks like you spent quite a bit of time tilted over or tilted on the side. :D. I can't wait to view the vimeos. Thanks for posting them up! Ok, maybe I'll go home early.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Mark, video 5 is protected. :D Thanks for the vimeo uploads.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mark, video 5 is protected. :D Thanks for the vimeo uploads.
Finally learning how vimeo works :) I public'ed the videos and got the name tags on them. Will load up more after work. Some of the videos that fail to process on youtube come out fine on vimeo.

Regarding tire pressure, I did my usual thing of not airing down and just ran at usual street pressure. I get confused with what I run at street (because of all the tire changes), but I think something like 30 psi (don't quote me - i'll check :) ).

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll eventually get all of them on vimeo and replace them in the post.

But for now, I can finally say that the three-post spread is now complete for version 1.0 viewing.... Please, to enjoy. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Mark, so how would you rate that trail?

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mark, so how would you rate that trail?
It's a trail that I wouldn't want to do stock because of tires (need grip - there are lots of climbs with loose dirt that you'd just spin stock tires on). You need rear locker and ATRAC unless you're uber skillful. No real rocks but some very steep/sharp ledges to get up. Definitely not a novice trail unless you have stones the size of small moons. I wouldn't really want to do it without a good flexy lift, good AT or better tires, rear locker and ATRAC (or front locker), and wouldn't even think about with 2wd. Nothing on the trail really needs spotting, and nothing super slow. It's no Moab or Calico. Just some nasty steep and slippery (dusty) climbs and some twisty/tilty. I guess I'd rate it moderate.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
From the pictures, ground clearance isn't really a issue. Looks like as you said plus some off camber and steep inclines. And you made it up with stock tire pressure.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From the pictures, ground clearance isn't really a issue. Looks like as you said plus some off camber and steep inclines. And you made it up with stock tire pressure.
No clearance issues, I don't think anyone scraped their undersides. Off camber, steep, and just a little tricky in places with wheel placement. But not super bad anywhere, and light and easy for most of the run. Yeah, the LTB's gripped great at stock pressure - hardly noticed any wheel spin at all on any obstacle.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
the LTB's gripped great at stock pressure - hardly noticed any wheel spin at all on any obstacle.
I'd love to get them, they look awesome and for traction are great because the rubber is soft as a babys ass. but they do seem to chunk off alot dont't they?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I'd love to get them, they look awesome and for traction are great because the rubber is soft as a babys ass. but they do seem to chunk off alot dont't they?
I have some chunking. I don't think it's avoidable due to the huge lugs. It's not bad enough that it concerns me. I did run some trails with very sharp rocks recently though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts