Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day: Thursday, July 21
Time: 8:30
Trail Run: Volunteer Trail Work
Leader: Rotorhed1 (Brian)
My Photos from this trail run: LINK

As with last year, I'm creating this thread so we can reacquaint, share photos, whatever.

We really enjoyed being a part of this event again this year. Thanks to the Summit organizers for getting this all set up again, to Brian for being one of the friendliest and most generous guys I know, and to Warren from the National Forest Service for the opportunity to help like this. :cheers:

Hopefully we'll keep doing these events at future Summits, and more people will have the chance to join in on the fun. :clap:
Also, hopefully they'll dig up (pun intended) more work for us to do next year. Funny thing was, this year, I think we had three times as many volunteers, but only a third of the amount of work in relation to last year. :lol:

Here's a sneak preview...

When we arrived at Angle Creek Campground (a maintained National Forest campground immediately on the right as you cross the bridge over the river about a mile up Cap Bird Rd.) to install a 'No Camping Here' type of sign, this is what we found....in the exact location the sign was intended for...

After the work was done...

After lunch (provided by Ty at Billygoat Gruff's Biergarten), some of us went for an extracirricular trail run up to the Bullion King Mine and walked up to a very beautiful lake...

I'm working on my photos/story pages, but will still need more time. When I have that all ready, I'll post back here to let you know.

In the meantime though, you're welcome to download the BULK bundle of my photos from that day. Of coruse, it's large and contains more than just this event, but if you're itching to see what went on, go here and download the zip file named '21_Thu.zip'

·
Registered
62 Posts
Looks good Steven, although none of us earned lunch that day.:lol::lol:

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good Steven, although none of us earned lunch that day.:lol::lol:
Indeed. It's 'volunteer' work anyway....I definitely felt a little guilty by the time we were done eating lunch. Oh well. Perhaps they'll have more for us to do next year.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for creating this thread. This is exactly what I had asked to see, in another thread.

So putting up one sign is all that was needed? :lol:
Well, we actually installed two signs (both of which required digging post holes) and did a little maintenance on at least a couple others (where maps had to either be repositioned or replaced), but ya, it was a lot more people than work this time.

As stated above, if you want to see more pics from the event, you're welcome to download the zip file.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Well my dog worked real hard chasing sticks, fish and chipmunks. We missed lunch but enjoyed a great ride up Silver Basin Road to a different Alpine lake, also very beautiful. I had several photos of the lake but not found at this time.

Ace

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a little soemthing about this run from the Discount Tire guys...

PART 2
...There was also a group of volunteers that were going out with a Forest Service Ranger to do trail maintenance that staged near us.
They had a good size group heading out. It's always good to see 4 wheelers helping maintain the trails that we all have the privilege
of using. Good job by those that helped.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking forward to helpin out next year..
We'll have a 'special' duty just for you :lol:

Who organizes this activity? Is there any chance to volunteer without giving up an "official" trail time? If the timing works out I'll volunteer. :cheers:
It doesn't seem like there actually is much 'organization' to it necessarily (or even necessary), other than the coordination between the FJ Summit guys and the folks at the National Forest Service to set up the date/time and then they pick out tasks for us to help with.

As for not having it during one of the 'official' trail run time slots, I'm not sure when else it could be and still be 'officially' a function of the FJ Summit.

The only way I can see it being any different is if they add one more 'official' day (Wednesday?) to the organized events. Like....perhaps they could turn Wednesday into the official volunteer trail work day, with the only organized runs that day being this kind of thing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Awesome work guys/gals!!

This was the second year in a row that there has been a group heading out to help with little projects on the NF lands that border the routes in the area.

The USFS Ranger that does a lot of the coordination is Warren Barker. He is the Alpine Ranger in the area, and we definitely appreciate his continued desire to work with the FJ Summit for these projects.

Thanks again :cheers:

-Justin

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome work guys/gals!!

This was the second year in a row that there has been a group heading out to help with little projects on the NF lands that border the routes in the area.

The USFS Ranger that does a lot of the coordination is Warren Barker. He is the Alpine Ranger in the area, and we definitely appreciate his continued desire to work with the FJ Summit for these projects.

Thanks again :cheers:

-Justin
Thanks, Justin.
I guess calling the thread "2nd Annual..." didn't necessarily say that it was "the second year in a row", and I could have been more precise ;)

Ya, Ranger Barker is a great guy. I always love sitting there, and getting to hear his stories of what goes on out there, and all. Beyond that, it's actually bordering on amazing how he's out there gettin busy with all he does in the first place. Not that he's too far over the hill yet, but I hope I'm even half as active as he is when I get his age.

If you're reading this, Warren, great job :clap: :cheers: ...and I look forward to seeing you next year.

·
Catalyst
9,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finally uploaded my photos/videos from the 2011 FJ Summit, and here's the link to my page about this trail work event...

--> LINK <--

:wave:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts