Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a 2nd battery for use with Ham radio or other electrical accessories? I would need way to isolate from the main battery when engine is off to prevent draining the main battery. Any suggestions on installing on 2011 FJ at battery stand where power steering reservoir is currently located on right side of engine bay?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Agreed, the search function will find what you are looking for. Find the proper topic in the forum and click, search this thread. Tons of amazing instructions and setups on here!

Reactions: Sparky of NWO

·
Mean Time Moderator
6,226 Posts
As suggested there are lots of posts covering this. I installed on my 14 which means relocating the pump but if you just have the power steering reservoir on the right it should be easy. I've covered my install in my build thread below. To isolate there are lots of relays available, I, and several others use the Blue Sea ML ACR which is automatic shut of with manual overide.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Has anyone installed a 2nd battery for use with Ham radio or other electrical accessories? I would need way to isolate from the main battery when engine is off to prevent draining the main battery. Any suggestions on installing on 2011 FJ at battery stand where power steering reservoir is currently located on right side of engine bay?
I've been exploring this for sometime now as well. While the search function was helpful, there's nothing like getting current feedback and opinions on what route to go (also most of the pictures are broke due to photobucket).

As of now my plan is to use this for a battery tray: https://www.offgrid4x4.com/collecti...2002-2009-lexus-gx-470-auxiliary-battery-tray

For a battery isolation you could go two routes (seems most popular) a batter relay isolator or an automatic charging relay (depending on budget) the isolator is going to manual and the ACR (for short) will be a smart box that will charge the Aux battery after the starting batter is fully charged and then disconnect them I believe after fully charged (I'm still reading and doing research on that so I may not be accurate).

The two most common options I've seen seem to be these:

Isolator 500Amp (I'm assuming you could go much smaller, but I went with this for now for a winch disconnect while I get the rest of my stuff together in time) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=pda0fc-20
ACR (i'm planning to go this route later on) - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VIXLRO/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1GOJ4X1T5F26X&colid=Q8424OEPZ4GJ&psc=1

Then pick your favorite battery and install it all. I've seen several posts and youtube vids say you should put a fuse between to two batteries, but for the life of me can't figure out how large a fuse is needed and really why its needed if you run an ACR. if anyone has input or direction on that and why it would be great, I love to learn more about why inline fuses are needed everywhere.

·
Registered
235 Posts
OP stated he is looking to mount the battery in the second battery tray on the 2010+ FJs. The last two posts have shown mounts that put it up near the firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I decided the best option for a 2nd batt was to upgrade my alternator to 200amp an add an Argofet 200amp dual battery isolator. keeps both batts separate 100% of the time. But charges both when engine is running with only a .02v loss. As I have a laundry list of mods coming. Saving space becomes a priority. So both batts an isolator are all in the stock battery area...
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part
Auto part Engine Vehicle City car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts