Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now my 2wd 2010 FJ is squatting in the rear and I'm struggling to find the best solution to get it close to level.

Last year in my mod crazed angst I made the mistake of throwing a 2.5" spacer lift on the front to fit 285s BFG KM2s (love the tires BTW, have no regrets about those) and the read end is slightly lower than the front. The smallest rear spacer lift I could find was a Daystar 1.5" and I have a feeling it would bring back the rabbit stance.

I recently found threads where pre-runners took used 4x4 springs as a make-shift lift and wanted to know if putting the rear assembly from a 4x4 on my rig would get it level or if I should look for better options.

PS spacer lifts are not a problem for me, live in Florida so there are few rocks to crawl so my rig sees only mild off-road trails and a few mud puddles here and there because face it, they're fun. In terms of loads, the FJ sees the occasional trailer and trunk full of tools and equipment for weekend and eagle projects.

Sorry for the long read, any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just installed Air Lifts 1000 helped springs, which are just air bags that slide into the stock rear springs. This helped tremendously with leveling my FJ out since i also have a leveling kit on mine. You can run 5psi in the bags when just driving and then bump it up when towing and keeps the sag to a minimum if any at all.

·
Registered
880 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,854 Posts
Right now my 2wd 2010 FJ is squatting in the rear and I'm struggling to find the best solution to get it close to level.

Last year in my mod crazed angst I made the mistake of throwing a 2.5" spacer lift on the front to fit 285s BFG KM2s (love the tires BTW, have no regrets about those) and the read end is slightly lower than the front. The smallest rear spacer lift I could find was a Daystar 1.5" and I have a feeling it would bring back the rabbit stance.

I recently found threads where pre-runners took used 4x4 springs as a make-shift lift and wanted to know if putting the rear assembly from a 4x4 on my rig would get it level or if I should look for better options.

PS spacer lifts are not a problem for me, live in Florida so there are few rocks to crawl so my rig sees only mild off-road trails and a few mud puddles here and there because face it, they're fun. In terms of loads, the FJ sees the occasional trailer and trunk full of tools and equipment for weekend and eagle projects.

Sorry for the long read, any advice appreciated.
Ditch the spacers....Get 5100s like others said, or 4x4 FRONT springs. All the rear springs on FJs are the same, so swapping those out wont do a thing. Air bags wont lift it either.

If the difference is VERY minimal, a trim spacer might work out back: https://www.toyteclifts.com/150pr10-ome-fj-rear-trim-spacer.html
They are typically used only on driver side to account for the lean you get with aftermarket springs, but they are just a spacer.

Toytec also sells really small spacers for the front, but that might be too little lift for you: https://www.toyteclifts.com/top1-t-front-top-plate-spacer-kit.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
How hard is it to get the rear springs out? Last thing I would want to do is get it all taken apart and not be able to get them out to add a spacer.

·
Registered
880 Posts
How hard is it to get the rear springs out? Last thing I would want to do is get it all taken apart and not be able to get them out to add a spacer.
If you can unbolt the anti-sway bar and the bottom of the shocks, pulling the springs and putting in either spacers or taller springs is not difficult (as long as you have a second person to help push down the axle while you swap the springs).

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you can unbolt the anti-sway bar and the bottom of the shocks, pulling the springs and putting in either spacers or taller springs is not difficult (as long as you have a second person to help push down the axle while you swap the springs).
OK Thanks, would you recommend the spacer or taller spring?

·
Registered
880 Posts
OK Thanks, would you recommend the spacer or taller spring?
I've used both. Taller spring will give you more articulation than the spacer. I didn't find any difference in the ride on dirt roads, etc. Make sure you put in a longer shock with either one. With a 1.5" lift in back you can definitely hit the limit of the rear shock even going in and out of a driveway sideways. Bilstein 5100 works great for this.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts