Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to posting, I've been a lurker for a year or 2, just bought a green 2013 with 60k miles in October of last year.
I've been looking around at shock options and have become more and more curious as to why there aren't any readily available 3.0 coilover option for the fj.
Do they not fit, would the make contact with the UCAs or is it just not necessary?
Is the cost of having a 3.0 built worth it or are 2.5s more than enough.
Any knowledge and experience is welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
If you are going higher end on your suspension, most go with 2.5” resi’s or dual shocks with bump stops. I suspect 3” will mess up your geometry.

·
Premium Member
8,135 Posts
I tinkered with the idea a couple years ago. Its way more heavy duty then most need. I know rear 2.5" shocks are already valved close to 2.0" shocks. Then there is the question of whether or not they will fit with clearances between the sway bar, tie rod, and coilover bucket being close as-is. I would get some adjustable 2.5's and call it a day since I am unaware of any manufacturers offering a bolt in 3.0 shock. Might check some Tacoma applications though. That said, I always like trying new things so I wouldn't see why you couldn't get something there to work with enough time and effort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't really measured anything down there in great detail, but yes, its already quite cramped down there as is. And I'd rather keep the mods to bolt ons and trimming... not relocating things...
That being said, it makes sense that things may start slapping together or binding up.
A 2.5 seems like it'd be more than enough for the size of the fj, but maybe one day when the rest of the mod list is all done I'll get crazy and decide that I "need" custom 3.0s.
:p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts