Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a casualty today installing the lift. It is a Blackhawk tool I have had for years and I believe they were bought out by Stanley/Proto Tools. My question is aren't there some tool co's out there that will exchange anyone's broken took for theirs? It seems like I have heard this before but I can't remember which tool co. it was. Or maybe I just dreamed it.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Had a casualty today installing the lift. It is a Blackhawk tool I have had for years and I believe they were bought out by Stanley/Proto Tools. My question is aren't there some tool co's out there that will exchange anyone's broken took for theirs? It seems like I have heard this before but I can't remember which tool co. it was. Or maybe I just dreamed it.
If the tool has a warranty, it will usually be exchanged for an identical item (same part / same brand) by the manufacturer. Some warranties require proof of purchase, and some are only if the tool failed due to defect, not due to use / abuse. I've never heard of a company exchanging a part for another company's broken product...

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
There's lots of good hand tools out there for a good price and many come with lifetime warranties. There's also lots of cheap junk, so inspect them well before buying. I have never heard of the promotion that you suggested - it would be kinda weird for a company to do that anyway unless you had to purchase something...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
My question is aren't there some tool co's out there that will exchange anyone's broken took for theirs? It seems like I have heard this before but I can't remember which tool co. it was. Or maybe I just dreamed it.
Sounds like a dream. :) There's no practical benefit for a company to do this. I try to buy quality tools with a good warranty. Hate breaking tools in the middle of the night...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it was a promotion for the introduction of Husky tools. I am sure no one does this now. Blackhawk has a lifetime warranty I am just going to have to go out of the way to the nearest dealer so I thought I would ask here first.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
MemphisFJ said:
I think what the original poster was asking is "If a company with a lifetime warranty on their tools, gets bought out.. can I warranty my tools with the new company?"

Not "Can I warranty my tools with ANY company?"

~Most~ times yes, sometimes there is a period of "good faith" that they allow exchanges and such, other times you are simply SOL. That is why a lifetime warranty is only as good as the company history is.

But it seems like you are in luck -- they were indeed bought out/acquired:
Stanley Proto Industrial Tools : Blackhawk™ by Proto®

the warranty information:
Stanley Proto Industrial Tools

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think what the original poster was asking is "If a company with a lifetime warranty on their tools, gets bought out.. can I warranty my tools with the new company?"

Not "Can I warranty my tools with ANY company?"

~Most~ times yes, sometimes there is a period of "good faith" that they allow exchanges and such, other times you are simply SOL. That is why a lifetime warranty is only as good as the company history is.

But it seems like you are in luck -- they were indeed bought out/acquired:
Stanley Proto Industrial Tools : Blackhawk™ by Proto®

the warranty information:
Stanley Proto Industrial Tools

Hope that helps.
Thanks Cali, looks like I am headed over to my local Grainger to see what they say!:bigthumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts