Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up my 2008 FJ tomorrow and it has an Old Man 3 inch lift. Does that require high angle CV boots? The reason I ask is that both inner boots are ripped and it will be my first repair that I need to address. Thx

·
Registered
335 Posts
I respectfully disagree with Shokaract. I think you'll be changing those CV's annually without the high angle boots.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I respectfully disagree with Shokaract. I think you'll be changing those CV's annually without the high angle boots.
You’re right, and I misspoke. Less than 3” will not have too much of an impact on the CV boots due to the angle not being as severe on the CV axel. With 3” or more, the angle increased and adds more stress in the CV. Hence why people get the high-angle boots. However, a differential drop kit can reduce the CV angle and prevent the need for high-angle boots for the CV. Toytec has a decent kit that is only $35 I believe.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,987 Posts
Thanks. Going to buys a set of CV off RockAuto and keep these for spares that I can fix later.
This is a good plan. Rebuild the OEM ones with the better boots ect.

I am of the opinion OEM Toyota boots can handle the angles. The Rock Auto ones will split again in about a year or so. I am about to have to change out the Rock Auto CV I put in because of the same thing.

·
Registered
510 Posts
You’re right, and I misspoke. Less than 3” will not have too much of an impact on the CV boots due to the angle not being as severe on the CV axel. With 3” or more, the angle increased and adds more stress in the CV. Hence why people get the high-angle boots. However, a differential drop kit can reduce the CV angle and prevent the need for high-angle boots for the CV. Toytec has a decent kit that is only $35 I believe.
Please help me understand something here- don't you lose ground clearance with a differential drop kit? And if you are losing ground clearance wouldn't you be better off not lifting the truck that much in the first place (and not going through the bother/cost of adding the ddk)?
I've never heard of high angle cv boots- anybody got a source/link?

·
Registered
88 Posts
There’s a big debate on whether or not the diff drop is necessary to fix the angles. Does it correct the angles of the CVs? Yes. But it does lower the diff, which reduces the ground clearance by an inch or so. I haven’t installed the diff drop I bought yet, and my CV boots seem fine with the angle at 3” on my Toytec/Bilstein 5100s. Not to say it couldn’t happen, but I haven’t had I happen to me.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My bigger concern with diff drops is that they change the angle of the drive shaft from the transfer case. On my '87 pickup which had a 6" lift utilizing blocks in the back and a diff drop in the front, I had the change the rear chuck 3 times due to the stress put on the yoke from the lift. Admittedly never did have a problem with the front, but I assume the same stress is added to the u joints and pinion shaft in the front with a diff drop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts