Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me out with this. I put a skyjacker 3" lift on my FJ. I have a set of pro comp 17x9 wheels with 33x12.5x17 mickey thompson baja mtz's. When I'm almost in full turn the tires rub on the body mount(fender where the mud flap is). I live in Oregon and have no idea where to go to get a body mount chop. Will the All-Pro 1" leveling spacer correct this problem? Any help would be great... Thanks!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Metal Tech (Metaltech4x4.com) in Newberg. They do a really professional job for ~$250. Plus, they are really great guys. I'm actually scheduled for a little body mount surgery with them this Friday.:cowsmile:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info CruiserChris... Im going to try to get a hold of them this week and set up a time to get that taken care of... it will totally be worth the time of driving from Eugene to fix this. Thanks again!!!

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
The chop is the solution. I experience the same issue with similar tire/wheel size and lift height. I am going to Demello this weekend for body mount chop to correct problem (and upgrade suspension).

From what I have read on this forum the rub issue varies greatly from vehicle to vehicle sometimes even with similar set-ups. Add the variance between tire and wheel combinations and the potential rub results can be a coin toss.

May be ok on-road but not offroad, etc.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Having a 3inch lift does not help you stop from rubbing in that spot. The reason you are rubbing is because you are running 9 inch wide rims and 12.5 inch wide tires. There is almost no way you could have this set-up without rubbing on the body mounts. Chopping is the only way to fix this. I had mine done for 138.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put 33x12.5x17's on my rig, Dick Cepek Mud Country. 3" Lift as well. No Rubbing! yay...I stuck with my factory rims though...

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I have a 3" lift with no rubbing but I am also running the stock 17" alloy wheels with Nitto TG.... some things that impact it is whether your lift is really giving you a full 3" or more like 2.5 inches once it is said and done. Most give 3" in rear and less in front...ToyTec includes a new coil over strut bracket to replace the oem one that is thicker to make sure you get full 3" in front also.
Then you have the wheels that if the offset is different that will affect the clearance. Finally you have tires...some 33inch tires are 32.5 while others may be 33.2......depending on tread aggressiveness and such.

I know mine do not rub one bit....but when you stray away from stock wheels and the OME lift I cant help. Sounds like you will indeed have to do the frame chop on your truck....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for posting... I have a skyjacker performance strut lift with the wheels and tires I stated above. I contacted Metal Tech today and set up a time early May to have my mounts chopped. Im hoping this will correct my problem. I'll post the results once I get this done.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Then you have the wheels that if the offset is different that will affect the clearance. Finally you have tires...some 33inch tires are 32.5 while others may be 33.2......depending on tread aggressiveness and such. [/QUOTE said:
Yup. I know a guy with a nearly identical setup but running 285/70/R17 stock rims vs. my 285/70/R17 with 17x9's and he doesn't rub but I rub really bad...it all has to do with the wide rims.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can anyone help me out with this. I put a skyjacker 3" lift on my FJ. I have a set of pro comp 17x9 wheels with 33x12.5x17 mickey thompson baja mtz's. When I'm almost in full turn the tires rub on the body mount(fender where the mud flap is). I live in Oregon and have no idea where to go to get a body mount chop. Will the All-Pro 1" leveling spacer correct this problem? Any help would be great... Thanks!!!
Th FJC was not set up for 33x12x5 it was set up for narrow tires. Try getting some wheels with a shallower offset or some spacers to offset the ones you have on. 4.25 to 4.75 might be about the correct offset.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I put 33x12.5x17's on my rig, Dick Cepek Mud Country. 3" Lift as well. No Rubbing! yay...I stuck with my factory rims though...
Be careful with those 12 inch tires on the 7.5 inch factory wheels, that is not a prescribed formula. They narrow wheels will cause the carcass to bulge and they will wear very badly on the sidewall and the tread. They can also pop the bead easier.

Tires should be no more than 2-3 inches wider than the wheel they are on. 2 inches to be safe. a 12 inch tire should be on a 9-11 inch wheel. A 7.5 inch wheel needs an 11 inch tire max.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for looking out, but I was well aware of the scenario before doing it... So far they have been phenomenal tires! The guy who mounted and balanced said they fit like a charm and he had no problems balancing, and on a recent check up, appear to be wearing nicely. But again, thanks for looking out!

·
Registered
127 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got my body mounts chopped today at Metal Tech. Mark and LT are awesome and knowledgeable guys. They do a very professional job... their craftsmanship is so clean you would think that there was nothing done at all. I would strongly recommend any one in the Oregon area to do business with them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts