Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman,
Nicky new guy here! Need help in selecting a 3" lift kit for my 2007. I want a no hassle setup.
Money is not an object. I'm planning on installing 35 x 12.5 x 17 all around...
So would still like to have a great ride, with no brake diving or to much body roll..
Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

· Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
10,626 Posts
Make sure you get upper control arms.
You’ll likely be sawzalling out the Lower Control arms if you have any corrosion whatsoever. So new LCAs should also be on your list.

· Registered
655 Posts
Gentleman,
Nicky new guy here! Need help in selecting a 3" lift kit for my 2007. I want a no hassle setup.
So would still like to have a great ride, with no brake diving or to much body roll..
If money is no concern, I’d take it to an off road shop and have extended travel total chaos lower arms, upper arms, coilover shocks with additional shock hoop and bypass damper installed, rear long travel set up with diamond or similar rear axle, front and rear lockers while you’re at it, along with Fiberglass fender flares painted to match…

· fka BLACK HAWK
3,851 Posts
If money is no concern, I’d take it to an off road shop and have extended travel total chaos lower arms, upper arms, coilover shocks with additional shock hoop and bypass damper installed, rear long travel set up with diamond or similar rear axle, front and rear lockers while you’re at it, along with Fiberglass fender flares painted to match…
Custom Kings... because if you want to win, Win with THE KING! 🤘

· 4-Corners Moderator
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Teams Special Edition
5,616 Posts
Build/off-road goals and budget should determine what lift you go with. I could make 35s fit with something as simple and affordable as a Bilstein 5100 3" lift. But you could go for something higher quality, with better performance, and more adjustability like Fox, King, Icon, etc.

Here is a link to a thread listing a bunch of different options out there.

And here is a video that may help explain stuff and give you an idea the differences in different kinds of lift kits

· Registered
8 Posts
Gentleman,
The FJ is one of the best engineered SUVs ever built. Keep in mind when you lift, you completely change the physcis of the drive train and suspension. You can end up chasing your tail, unless you take of all facets in the drive and suspension. If you actually need the lift for camping, work, off roading, then do it, but have it done at a professional. If you are doing it to commute to work, don't waste your money. There are pleny of lifted vehicles that did not make corners or swerves around accidents at the salvage lots.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gentleman,
Thanks again for your responses! I should have added the following:
The Fj is currently box stock.
As Raice asked i will be using it for camping, hunting/fishing, off roading here in OREO-gone!
I am very proficient in vehicle modifications/repairs/rework (engine, frame, body & paint, suspension electrical) mostly street machines and boats. So this is my first attempt on a four wheeler.
So I know I need a lift kit and UCA (but which one?). We won't be racing Baja with it, so I don't think I need shocks with reservoirs, but i would like to have adjustables. and would like to be able to set the ride height. and I\ll probably add bumpers and a winch down the road.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Build/off-road goals and budget should determine what lift you go with. I could make 35s fit with something as simple and affordable as a Bilstein 5100 3" lift. But you could go for something higher quality, with better performance, and more adjustability like Fox, King, Icon, etc.

Here is a link to a thread listing a bunch of different options out there.

And here is a video that may help explain stuff and give you an idea the differences in different kinds of lift kits

I watched this video, very informative! However it really didn't give a recommended kit (MFG or kit #).
Can you recommend one?

· Vendor
9,676 Posts
King, Fox, Icon, or Radflo. Go with 2.5 threaded bodies in the front (so you can adjust for weight) and 2.5 in the rear. Consider the metaltech long travel rear or just use their dual rate springs. Adjustable reservoirs are optional but are kinda nice to have. If you are the type to upgrade down the road, just get the adjustable reservoirs now.

Go with SPC, Ironman, or similar ball joint upper control arm.

· Registered
135 Posts
Gentleman,
Thanks again for your responses! I should have added the following:
The Fj is currently box stock.
As Raice asked i will be using it for camping, hunting/fishing, off roading here in OREO-gone!
I am very proficient in vehicle modifications/repairs/rework (engine, frame, body & paint, suspension electrical) mostly street machines and boats. So this is my first attempt on a four wheeler.
So I know I need a lift kit and UCA (but which one?). We won't be racing Baja with it, so I don't think I need shocks with reservoirs, but i would like to have adjustables. and would like to be able to set the ride height. and I\ll probably add bumpers and a winch down the road.
I have a set of non reservoir Icon 2.5 that I took off my FJ and replaced with icon reservoir CDCV and 700lb springs. my plan was to send them in for a full rebuild and then to sell on the forum. I'd be willing to sell them as-is or rebuilt if you're interested. either way, it'll save you some money on the front aspect. PM me if you're interested and we can negotiate. good luck on whatever route you take. the iron man UCA look to be nice or look at SPC for quality and value. I have the SPC but I bought them when they were known as light racing and have only had to replaced the ball joints once in 13ish years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.