Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching the forum narrowing my 3" lift decision to either OME, Pro Comp or ToyTec and I havent found a thread mentioning handling and performance at highway speeds. I drive 25-30K miles a year, most highway miles at 60-70mph and I will be running a 33" AT tire. Does this (or should it) influence my lift purchase as far as leaning toward one manufacturer? The FJ will see only beach trails in the summer as far as "off roading" so I am more concerned with the day to day handling.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
I have the OME and run 285/70/17 KM2s. I really like how it rides, highway, city, off road.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have been researching the forum narrowing my 3" lift decision to either OME, Pro Comp or ToyTec and I havent found a thread mentioning handling and performance at highway speeds. I drive 25-30K miles a year, most highway miles at 60-70mph and I will be running a 33" AT tire. Does this (or should it) influence my lift purchase as far as leaning toward one manufacturer? The FJ will see only beach trails in the summer as far as "off roading" so I am more concerned with the day to day handling.

Thanks.
Upgrading shocks with the lift will improve handling on and off road. Go OME or ToyTec.:cheers:

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have the OME and 285 MT and I can cruise comfortably at 80 but I get crappy mileage. Right after i put on my lift touted came out with their adjustable coils and I would go that route if doing it again but I have zero complaints about the ome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the Sway-A-Way lift and it handles a lot better than stock on and off the road. Go with a lift, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with how it handles post lift is your alignment. I wasn't able to get anywhere near the factory specs and ended up springing for UCA's as well. After those were installed highway driving was perfect, before it darted around and the tires did not wear correctly.
That is one of the reasons I went with OME. Trick UCAs are nice but, not required with the OME.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good tips, I think the OME setup with a good all terrain tire and alignment will suit me just fine. Thanks for the help, pics to come!

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
It doesn't matter what lift you get if you drive that many miles you really should spring for the uca's. Either toytec, ome, icon, whatever you will have the simptoms that fjrohrs mentoned. With the miles you drive aftermarket uca's will make a BIG difference. If you can afford the extra cash I would also go ToyTec as they are adjustable and you can adjust the ride height but that just my opinion. ome is a good chose as well as icon, sway-away, etc, etc

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
No matter whose aftermarket stuff you buy, you're faced with a lot of choices that will impact handling.

When you start down the modification road, EVERYTHING you do impacts something else. For example, larger tires and heavier rims will cause your tie rod ends to wear more quickly. You just have to be aware and replace them when they need it - but it's one of those things.

It all comes down to cost. So before you modify, consider ALL of the implications of what you are moding.

I went Icon all the way because of (a) the quality of the equipment (b) the reliability of the people who make the equipment.

You WILL need UCA's, new shocks, and depending on armor and other bolt-ons, you are likely to need new coils. These things can be added piecemeal, but you'll find that handling suffers until you get it all dialed in.

My advice: Don't modify until you're ready to take on all of the challenges that the particular mod requires to make it right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So if I put a 3" lift on my 2010 FJ TT edition, using the 8" TT wheels that came with it what is the biggest size tire I can get under it without any rubbing at all? I really don't want to change wheels. Looking at the BF Goodrich tire chart, I am wondering if the 295/75R16 will fit? Only other option looks like 285/75R16 without having to go to a new wheel with an offset. Does going to a 4" lift make any difference on clearance?

·
Registered
677 Posts
No matter whose aftermarket stuff you buy, you're faced with a lot of choices that will impact handling.

When you start down the modification road, EVERYTHING you do impacts something else. For example, larger tires and heavier rims will cause your tie rod ends to wear more quickly. You just have to be aware and replace them when they need it - but it's one of those things.

It all comes down to cost. So before you modify, consider ALL of the implications of what you are moding.

I went Icon all the way because of (a) the quality of the equipment (b) the reliability of the people who make the equipment.

You WILL need UCA's, new shocks, and depending on armor and other bolt-ons, you are likely to need new coils. These things can be added piecemeal, but you'll find that handling suffers until you get it all dialed in.

My advice: Don't modify until you're ready to take on all of the challenges that the particular mod requires to make it right.
Well said Uphill:)Just another reason why you shouldbe red:cheers:

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have OME Med and have 295/70/17 Terra Grapplers. Rides awesome on road. I had it up to 90 the other day on the highway and it felt really nice. Almost like my friends Audi that he reluctantly let me drive:cowfrown:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts