Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which size is better? What is the difference? I am running the OME medium lift with Wheelers Offroad 16" wheels with 4.0 BS. I dont have the body mounts chopped and am not opposed to doing so, but I want to know what is going to give me the biggest advantage. Both are 33s. The 305s are wider by an inch. I want an aggressive stance but will primarily use these on road as an everyday driver. Will both require a body mount chop or just the 305? There is also a $150 difference between them. Open to any ideas/opinions, but I am set on the Mickey Thompson MTZs so other tires need not be pushed.

·
Registered
635 Posts
bump for more info on this

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
im on 305/65r17s. they are a 33x12.50x17 they spec out the same as 305/70r16. i had to chop the mount to fit them. you will more than likely have to as well. go with the smaller size to save $ on the initial cost, gas mileage will be better with a thinner tire too. but you might still have to do the chop with the 285/75's.

hope that helps

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
305's will be worse in most snow conditions.

But will probably look more badazz, though. :)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Increase in tire width = decrease in proper snow traction (in most cases)

Wider tires will want to float you on the snow (or water, or sand, or mud) instead of let you cut down through it to bite into the harder ground beneath. This will be most noticeable on a snowy road...wider tires are just miserable in these conditions. Most think that they will have more traction with more tire on the road...not necessarily so. The contact patch of a tire is dictated (all things being equal) by the amount of weight on it. So, the contact patch of a skinny tire is, well, long and skinny. The contact patch of a wide tire is wide and short. The square inches in the contact patch may be the same but the orientation is opposite. The wide tire will present more surface area to the substance (snow, in this case) which will push you up...the skinny tire will present less area to the snow and allow you to knife through.

A big field full of fluffy white powder would be attacked with much enjoyment with wide tires but it just doesn't work out well in most snow driving situations.

*disclaimer* - Being a dufus, I could be all wet on this. :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have 285x75x16 on my FJ with coilovers set at 2" and I don't rub ever. I also went with this size because I drive alot in the snow. Wider tires can suck on snow packed roads. Just my .02

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I bought the 285/75R16s. They should get here on Tuesday. I just hope that I dont have any issues with them getting balanced. The place I bought them from is a speed shop that has been in south eastern Wisconsin for quite a while, but I am worried about the weight. Others have posted here that they have had trouble with off road stores and shops being able to properly balance the Wheelers offroads with heavy tires, so a Mom and Pop kinda place has me a little worried. It sucks that nothing else is close. Worst case scenario I will give NOT-HIS-FJ a call. They should be able to do it or direct me to who could.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Reading this thread poses a conundrum for me ...

I removed the stock wheels/tires and popped on some American Racing's teflon-coated "Mojave" 16" wheels with Goodyear MT/R 285/75R16s and had only a slight rubbing issue.

However, after adding an "EZ-Lift" leveling kit, I have room for bigger wheels and tires.

Further, I'm concerned that the lug nuts that came with the A/R wheels only engage about 3 threads of the lugs -- never a good thing. And, when I went to Tire Rack's website, they don't even carry a 285/75R17 if I were to buy 17" wheels.

What are people doing to go a tad bigger than stock after a lift? I've searched several threads in the Wheels & Tires forum, but haven't found much help.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
so a Mom and Pop kinda place has me a little worried.QUOTE]

A lot of Mom and Pop places are exactly where you need to go to get things done right. The large retailers just care about getting it done sorta good enough and FAST. That's it. Finding someone who is willing to take their time to do it right is the key...your mom and pop joint may just be the ticket. Or they could be a total nightmare. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
N8RV....It can be difficult and potentially more expensive to get 17" vs. 16". That is why a lot of people go to the 16s. You will get a wider variety of tire options, wheel options, and it is usually cheaper. You will still be able to go over stock sizes on the 16s. If you are looking for 17, I personally love the Mickey Thompson Classic Locks. They should fit. I have read a few posts where they have not, but most say no prob. When you start to do bigger wheels than 17, you will start to sacrifice tire size unless you start to do significant mods to keep everything lined up and working correctly. Other wise you will throw off camber, rub, and invite a slew of other problems. NO FJ looks good with 22s and low profile tires. Take a look at 16s you wont be disappointed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts