Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 09 FJ into Stephen Wade Toyota, St. George for a 30K service. The service writer quoted me $675 for his complete service. I declined the package the service writer offered and took a piece meal approach. $65 for oil change (synthetic), $79.90 for front and rear differential fluid change, $146.95 for tune up and $19.95 for tire rotation.

I live in Southern California, but keep the car in Utah, let my employees who don't have a 4x4 or all wheel drive, drive it due to the weather. If the FJ was in SoCal, I could have the entire 30K service completed at a Toyota dealer for under $300. The FJ is still at the service dept., waiting for them to finish. Will let you know the total outcome.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am in the wrong business..damn

Maybe $50 in parts and, what, 10 hours labor??

I am sure a DIY'er can knock it out in 3-4 taking his time.

I can't imagine I would step into a dealership for a routine service past the free services for our '11

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
To be honest I wouldn't even let them do my maint. even if it were free. The only time my truck has been to the dealer was for warranty. You don't have much of a choice there. :cheers:

·
fka luvshisfj
2,069 Posts
Its amazing how some dealerships just flat out over charge for certain tasks! I have built a great friendship with my the local Yota place here in Fort Smith. I recently had all my fluids changed (minus transmission) and tires rotated. and all for $76...plus i was given two new oil filters, in case I wanted to change the oil myself.

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
I took my 09 FJ into Stephen Wade Toyota, St. George for a 30K service. The service writer quoted me $675 for his complete service. I declined the package the service writer offered and took a piece meal approach. $65 for oil change (synthetic), $79.90 for front and rear differential fluid change, $146.95 for tune up and $19.95 for tire rotation.

I live in Southern California, but keep the car in Utah, let my employees who don't have a 4x4 or all wheel drive, drive it due to the weather. If the FJ was in SoCal, I could have the entire 30K service completed at a Toyota dealer for under $300. The FJ is still at the service dept., waiting for them to finish. Will let you know the total outcome.
Sounds like you've got most of the bases covered except the engine air filter, lube (6 zerks) and check the driveshaft bolts.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow, that is high pricing indeed. I think service writers just plain gouge people when they think they can. I happen to know a senior technician at my local Toyota dealer and he handles my service and warranty work. My prepaid services are over now so I will be doing them myself from now on because I cannot knowingly overpay for something I know I can do way cheaper. I hope all works out with your service and just remember to go over your bill and FJC with a fine tooth comb before driving it home.

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
The 2011 doesnt change spark plugs until 120K miles and the 2009 says change at 60K.

When are tune-ups normally needed? When the spark plugs are changed?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The 2011 doesnt change spark plugs until 120K miles and the 2009 says change at 60K.

When are tune-ups normally needed? When the spark plugs are changed?
I, sure as heck, would want to, at least R+R the plugs every 30-60k mi so they don't get frozen in the heads - apply some antisieze to the threads and so the plug wires don't get welded onto the plugs - apply some grease to the end of the plug wires to aid in removal in the future.

After dealing with countless seized plugs and plug wires over the years, I find it is good practice to exercise and lube the plugs/wires regularly.

Then again, for under $30 in parts, if I pull a plug out, I usually just put a new one in.

Check the manual for service interval. I usually do it a bit more frequently than stated, as the plugs do wear out, gap increases, etc If it is 120k, I would probably do it at 60k. Cheap enough. The days of 12k plug changes are over.. same with 3k LOF. 10k is more than frequent enough. Even my 2001 audi requires LOF at 10k with conventional oil. Now at 120,000 and still running like new.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update

When I posted, FJ was still in the service dept. Here is the final out come.

Oil Change with synthetic, not including taxes: $70,56
Front Diff Service: $39.00
Rear Diff Service: $45.75
Tune Up: $150.42
Rotate Tires: $19.95

Total with taxes:$357.19

Service writer: Dave Lynn
Stephen Wade Toyota, St. George, UT

He said that changing spark plug is required at 30K

Is this a fair price?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Update

When I posted, FJ was still in the service dept. Here is the final out come.

Oil Change with synthetic, not including taxes: $70,56
Front Diff Service: $39.00
Rear Diff Service: $45.75
Tune Up: $150.42
Rotate Tires: $19.95

Total with taxes:$357.19

Service writer: Dave Lynn
Stephen Wade Toyota, St. George, UT

He said that changing spark plug is required at 30K

Is this a fair price?
I would be curious to what is included in the 'tune up' $150 seems a bit steep 6 plus and 30 minutes time IMO.

I take a mechanics class at the local high school, and do all my service there. When I had my Land Rover, I pretty much did exactly what you are having done (LOF, Diff service, Xfer case service, plugs, etc) in well under 3 hours and well under $100 (maybe $50) in parts and fluids

I would say, take their hourly rate, times it by 3 (say $100/hr X 3= $300) and add parts and Hazmat (say $75 way on the high side) = $375 . Your price seems in the ballpark, a bit high for my liking for basic, insanely easy, service.

Anyone with any reasonable skills can knock this out in half a saturday afternoon for $50-100..

I just don't understand why the pretty high price on the tuneup. Are they adjusting the valves or something that is more time consuming? It can't be for just 6 plugs....or can it?

Why isnt the Xfer case fluid change being done? On my rover, I changed that more frequently than the axles. Maybe it doesn't need to be done on the FJ. Just curious.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Why isnt the Xfer case fluid change being done? On my rover, I changed that more frequently than the axles. Maybe it doesn't need to be done on the FJ. Just curious.
I think Toyota says every 60k miles. I did mine at 35k, and most people on here who do their own maintenance seem to do the tcase and diffs around every 30k miles.

·
Premium Member
6,519 Posts
On the 5AT equipped FJ's, the part-time 4WD transfer case does not have a differential in it like the 6MT equipped FJ's.

DEWFPO

·
Banned
393 Posts
You should also change the oil in the transfer case. As a general rule-of-thumb, always change the oil in the transfer case when you change the oil in the differentials.

I got oil changed in both differentials, transfer case and transmission (manual) at my local dealership - $200 in total.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts