Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

First post here, nice to meet ya. I have a 2007 4x2 and live in So Cal. Dealer recommended the throttle body service at 30K. Should I get this done? Charge to do was $80. I use premium gas only. They also wanted $224 to change my spark plugs, but my mechanic is going to do it for $100. Should I have him use platinum's? I dont want to change my spark plugs every 30K since I cant do it myself. Also, I bought it used, and the CPO check off said the differential fluid was checked, but not changed. When should it be changed? Thanks!

Lisa

·
Registered
134 Posts
are you having a problem with the TB? Never cleaned one out in any car I have owned.

I would, personally, pass on that.

30 for plugs? seems a bit premature, but not sure what your service manual calls for. Why can't you do it yourself? The time it took you do do your post, you could have been done with it!! :) I would go with whatever plug toyota recommends. I used NGK on my rover. Not sure what toyota recommends.

The car was a cpo and they didnt change the diffs? Cheap enough to do yourself or your local mechainc. check your manual for the interval. I did my rovers diffs every 3 yrs or so. Cost maybe $15 in fluid for both doing it myself.

·
Admin
8,447 Posts
This is something that you will take pleasure in doing. It is very easy.

If you have a standard set of sockets you can do it.

Link below is a pretty decent write-up. All it will cost you is the can of TB cleaner.
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/maintenance-tech/72710-throttle-body-cleaning-w-pics.html

As for the spark plugs.... if you have a good socket set with a nice long extension you can easily change these too. Don't forget the dialectic grease!
I just bought the factory plugs from my local dealer.

Congrats on the FJ :)

Play safe.
:cheers:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Changing plugs at 30K miles is in the maintenance schedule for a 2007; servicing the throttle body is not in the maintenance schedule at ANY mileage. Dealer is wanting some extra dollars from you.
Changing the plugs at 30k is in the manual, but it is only to satisfy emissions "requirements". Plugs can go a lot longer, especially nice ones.

If you're easy on it change the diff every 50-60k. Hard on it(towing or off-road), 20-30k

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
This is something that you will take pleasure in doing. It is very easy.
This is something Winterpeg and I spent an afternoon doing at my place: gear oil change, spark plugs, MAF cleaning, TB cleaning.

It was pleasurable but that was probably due to the barley pop that Winterpeg provided

:cheers:

·
Admin
8,447 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the reply, helped me alot!

I dont know if I would do the throttle body thing myself, I am a girl and scrrred to touch my baby! I wouldnt want to mess her up. I have never done anything on a car, but I am pretty handy with tools. If I was to do something, I would start small. I did change the tail light a while back. I was nervous even doing that. But Im not so confident of the dealer either. I took it for the aforementioned 30k maint. to Longo and the day after I noticed there was a huge scratch in one of my rims. They are the OEM ones, but still...I know it wasnt there before and it looks like a tool did it, its long and clean, not like I scrapped against a curb parking, which I dont even do so as not to scrap them. Maybe a tool from when they rotated the tires? I wish I would have noticed it right after and I could have told them right then. But it was after the fact and dont have anyway to prove it. Maybe I will call and raise a stink. Oh well, Im getting new black rims in about 6 months...so whatever.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Sorry to hear that about your wheel.

The only way i will ever let anyone else work on my vehicle (which is rare) is if i am watching them like a hawk, to prevent stuff like what happened to you. If they won't let me in their bay to watch cause its "against their rules" I tell them that i will take my vehicle somewhere else. You can also make sure they are constantly working and not slacking off.

Thanks all for the reply, helped me alot!

I dont know if I would do the throttle body thing myself, I am a girl and scrrred to touch my baby! I wouldnt want to mess her up. I have never done anything on a car, but I am pretty handy with tools. If I was to do something, I would start small. I did change the tail light a while back. I was nervous even doing that. But Im not so confident of the dealer either. I took it for the aforementioned 30k maint. to Longo and the day after I noticed there was a huge scratch in one of my rims. They are the OEM ones, but still...I know it wasnt there before and it looks like a tool did it, its long and clean, not like I scrapped against a curb parking, which I dont even do so as not to scrap them. Maybe a tool from when they rotated the tires? I wish I would have noticed it right after and I could have told them right then. But it was after the fact and dont have anyway to prove it. Maybe I will call and raise a stink. Oh well, Im getting new black rims in about 6 months...so whatever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts