Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a basically stock fj besides a 3" OME lift up front and a 1.5" spacer in the back with stock size tires and stock 17" alloys. I am trying to sell my 265 geolanders to buy bigger MTs and i had a guy offer to trade me a set of 315/70/17 firestone destination mt for my 265s. My question is will these tires fit under my fj without major modifications (i know a BMC is needed) but im wondering if ill need to swap my UCAs and all. So if anybody could help me out on what is needed to fit a 315 under my fj it would be great

·
Registered
837 Posts
With the stock UCA's the steering will seem a little loose . Even with my 295's it feels kind of airy if that makes any sense to anyone but me. Also, 315 might be pushing it a little on the stock rim. The people told me at the tire dealership that my 295's were pushing it on a stock rim but ask around, when I was asking a few weeks ago there were people who said that they ran a 315 no problem on the stock rim.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
With the stock UCA's the steering will seem a little loose . Even with my 295's it feels kind of airy if that makes any sense to anyone but me. Also, 315 might be pushing it a little on the stock rim. The people told me at the tire dealership that my 295's were pushing it on a stock rim but ask around, when I was asking a few weeks ago there were people who said that they ran a 315 no problem on the stock rim.
Check your tire pressure.

When i first had my BFG ATs installed they inflated all of them to 60PSI and on road it felt very squirrely . The majority of the folks i have encountered working at a tire shop are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
You'll have more clearance issues upon compression then just the UCA's. If you never go offroad in it, it will probably be fine after new UCA's. If you get them, put them on and jack up the front and rear and cycle the suspension and see what kind of rubbing issues you may have.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You'll have more clearance issues upon compression then just the UCA's. If you never go offroad in it, it will probably be fine after new UCA's. If you get them, put them on and jack up the front and rear and cycle the suspension and see what kind of rubbing issues you may have.
What kind of clearance issues are you talking about? I know plenty of people run 35s and 315s with a 3" lift. I figured I would just put a set of spacers on as a temporary fix to the uca rubbing

·
Registered
604 Posts
What kind of clearance issues are you talking about? I know plenty of people run 35s and 315s with a 3" lift. I figured I would just put a set of spacers on as a temporary fix to the uca rubbing
Well if you know plenty of people that run 315's , why are you asking on here ?:simmadown:

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
ok i have a basically stock fj besides a 3" OME lift up front and a 1.5" spacer in the back with stock size tires and stock 17" alloys. I am trying to sell my 265 geolanders to buy bigger MTs and i had a guy offer to trade me a set of 315/70/17 firestone destination mt for my 265s. My question is will these tires fit under my fj without major modifications (i know a BMC is needed) but im wondering if ill need to swap my UCAs and all. So if anybody could help me out on what is needed to fit a 315 under my fj it would be great
Hey DeltaFJ, Keep us updated as to what you wind up doing. I've been thinking of getting a set of GY Duratrac in 315/70/17's on my stock rims and I'm really curious to see if you wind up having to replace ur UCA's and do a BMC. BTW GOOD LUCK!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Putting spacers on only accounts for rubbing on the UCA. It will likely cause rubbing on the body mounts and maybe even the sway bar.

The major clearance issues I'm referring to (once you address UCA, body mount, possibly sway bar) are when the tires get stuffed into the wheel wells. If you get the tires and you actually wheel with them you'll see.

Many of the owners with 35's have extended bump stops (or air bumps or a secondary bypass shock) or a body lift to reduce the possibility that the fender wells don't get damaged.

I'm fairly certain a fender bulge or two has happened due to 35" tires get shoved up into wheel wells.

I'm not trying to discourage you from doing this, I just want you to realistically understand the concerns at hang. Good luck!

:cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts