Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it finally happened guys! I made the jump from 285/75R16s on my black 16" TRD wheels to 315/70R17 BFG KO2 tires on the black 17x7" TRD wheels! (Sometimes called TRD Pro wheels, TRD SEMA wheels or Midnight black TRD wheels). I had always wanted to run a better tire than my junky Grabbers and I wanted to stay within the all-terrain realm to keep it driving nice on road and off road. From what I read and have seen the KO2s are a great tire, and my dad picked up this specific set from @toyotacolin but seeing that they are Load Range C, installers refused to put them on insisting his Raptor needed at least Load Range D (the Raptor comes with Load Range E from the factory though). So with an extra set of tires sittingaround doing nothing and with me wanting new tires, I snagged them from my dad! Now I needed wheels to run them on since mine were 16" wheels. I wanted to keep it true to the Trail Teams style with the TRD wheels and when we first got to see the 17" TRD wheels on that FJ-S Cruiser Concept at the FJ Summit in 2013, I fell in love! I knew I wanted the 17" TRD wheels and since they were now readily available with them coming on TRD Pro 4Runners I got a set and then had the combo installed! They are awesome!

Check it out!

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Here is a comparison showing the size difference of the 33s vs the 35s

And here is a cool photo showing the old BFG KO tread vs the newer BFG KO2 tread

Putting 4 315s in the back of the FJ with the seats folded down fits perfectly!

And now the glamour shots!

Here is a shot down the side so you can see what they look like width wise compared to the Bushwacker fender flares. Note: I also have 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers installed.

I did have rubbing initially when turning sharp, but after an alignment and having them shove the castor to about 4 degrees (they got mine to 3.5 on the drivers side and 4.0 on the passenger side) the rubbing is gone! At least when driving on-road. But if there is and issue when off-roading, then it is time for getting more aggressive with my BMC and hammering the pinch welds! Here are photos of before the alignment where it was rubbing.

Loving the look so far, we will see how they go! Played with the tire pressure to see if the tire would make fuller contact with the ground and help the tire wear more evenly but whether they are at 45 psi or 30 psi they are pretty much the same. It is nice since my factory TPMS sensors from the old 16" TRD wheels were able to be installed on the new TRD wheels with the use of the Toyota TPMS rebuild kit I ordered straight from a local Toyota dealer.

Love the look, love the feel, and loving the extra grip!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,940 Posts
Nice!. Sounds like you might have been at Discount Tire. I get they are a forum sponsor, but those jokers just hide behind their computer screens in the stores. "Uggh...it says i cant.... Why? .... Because the computer says......"I had a similar frustrating issue once with an old Xterra. I guess thats good though because you now have some sweet new treads on your FJ!

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice!. Sounds like you might have been at Discount Tire. I get they are a forum sponsor, but those jokers just hide behind their computer screens in the stores. "Uggh...it says i cant.... Why? .... Because the computer says......"I had a similar frustrating issue once with an old Xterra. I guess thats good though because you now have some sweet new treads on your FJ!
My dad had that experience at Big O Tires and at the Ford dealership. Either way he ended up ordering through Costco and I had mine installed at Wal-Mart. Worked out good!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Your rig looks great! Is it true the 17" TRD SEMA wheels are now available due to being used on new TRD Pro 4Runner?
If so, that is great news? May be just the pic: but center doesn't not look as "recessed" as did original wheels?
I need to budget for 5 of them, although don't need tires yet, as my original KO's only have 22k on them.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Awesome! I'm getting my diffs sent out for 4.56 gears. So I'm looking at larger tires too. Haven't decided 285/75r17 or 315/70r17. The former has very few selections but KO2 comes in that size. It will be the same width as my 285/75r16 so less clearance issue. 315s open up a whole lot more selections but I would need spacers and some more cutting…

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your rig looks great! Is it true the 17" TRD SEMA wheels are now available due to being used on new TRD Pro 4Runner?
If so, that is great news? May be just the pic: but center doesn't not look as "recessed" as did original wheels?
I need to budget for 5 of them, although don't need tires yet, as my original KO's only have 22k on them.
Yep you can easily find the TRD Pro wheels like what I have on in either matte black or matte grey and I've also seen glossy black. I think they are just as recessed as the originals if you're referring to the FJ-S Cruiser Concept, might just be a perspective thing with the tires sizes or something. I got my set of 5 from BAM Wholesale for $910 + FREE SHIPPING! Best deal out there!

Awesome! I'm getting my diffs sent out for 4.56 gears. So I'm looking at larger tires too. Haven't decided 285/75r17 or 315/70r17. The former has very few selections but KO2 comes in that size. It will be the same width as my 285/75r16 so less clearance issue. 315s open up a whole lot more selections but I would need spacers and some more cutting…
If you're getting new 4.56 gears I would just make the leap to 315s since that is really what they are for! Just getting the gears for 33s would be a pitty in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Those transformed the look of your rig Hayden, it looks awesome! Damn you guys and your 35s! FJs just look right with that size. Congrats

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
formerly Brijesh
122 Posts
I have been wanting to get the exact same rims, I had reservations if the 315’s would fit on those rims or not. Is re gearing necessary when you go to 315 or is that just for a piece of mind?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I have been wanting to get the exact same rims, I had reservations if the 315’s would fit on those rims or not. Is re gearing necessary when you go to 315 or is that just for a piece of mind?

I think many will change gears at that size, but not everyone has. If you tow a trailer, you will likely want to regear. I run 285/70/17 tires, and I have plenty of power..I never feel that I lacked power with my FJ.

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think many will change gears at that size, but not everyone has. If you tow a trailer, you will likely want to regear. I run 285/70/17 tires, and I have plenty of power..I never feel that I lacked power with my FJ.
I've done a poll on Facebook about running 35s and the majority of people who have 35s do not or have not regeared yet. Some would never run 35s unless they regear and some just wouldn't run 35s in general as they are content with 33s.

But like FatJohnson suggested, if towing then it would probably be a good reason for upgrading gears.

And on top of that, if you have the weak factory gears (2007 models in particular but really any of the 2007-2009 FJs with an 8" rear diff) then regearing may be smart. And I would definitely recommend regearing if you wheel HARD.

·
formerly Brijesh
122 Posts
Aren’t those rims 17 x 7” wide, I was under the impression that the wheels would need be at least 8.5” wide to take a 315 tire. Obviously that is not true, since you have them mounted. They don’t seem cupped or rounded in the pics either.. interesting!

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aren’t those rims 17 x 7” wide, I was under the impression that the wheels would need be at least 8.5” wide to take a 315 tire. Obviously that is not true, since you have them mounted. They don’t seem cupped or rounded in the pics either.. interesting!
They are indeed only 7" wide and I would say the better setup would be a wider wheel. They definitely don't make full tire tread contact when aired up completely but it doesn't bother me. I like the look too much!

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,276 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've done a poll on Facebook about running 35s and the majority of people who have 35s do not or have not regeared yet. Some would never run 35s unless they regear and some just wouldn't run 35s in general as they are content with 33s.

But like FatJohnson suggested, if towing then it would probably be a good reason for upgrading gears.
Remember that it’s totally different thing if you have A/T or M/T. M/T with 37”s have the same overall ratio on 6th speed than A/T with stock 32”s on OD. No any kind of need to regerar if M/T.

Btw. Looks good despite the wheels are way too narrow. I like the size (315/70R17), I have driven almost 6 years/85k miles with them.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Remember that it’s totally different thing if you have A/T or M/T. M/T with 37”s have the same overall ratio on 6th speed than A/T with stock 32”s on OD. No any kind of need to regerar if M/T.

Btw. Looks good despite the wheels are way too narrow. I like the size (315/70R17), I have driven almost 6 years/85k miles with them.

Reading that makes me wish I’d bought a manual tranny instead..may have to consider that if/when we buy a second FJ.

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thought I would hop on here again after 2 years and 8 months of running this setup to give some thoughts about it, you know, like some of the pros, some of the cons, and some tips or advice if you want to run a similar setup.

At this point I have put almost 27,000 miles on the KO2s. They still have some life left in them, heck, I ran Hell's Revenge yesterday with no problems, but they are wearing out fast and I will probably get another year of use out of them before they fully bite the dust. So not quite the 50,000 miles you would hope for from a tire but it is probably the off-roading that has worn them out a bit quicker than projected.

Here are some of the PROS of running this wheel and tire setup:
  • The looks! 35s are always a great looking tire on an FJ, and for me with Bushwacker fender flares, the 315/70R17s really fill them up well. Running 33s with my amount of lift and with the flares made them look tiny. But now, the 315s look great, with or without the flares on.
  • Wheel protection. While some may argue that having the wheels this narrow (7") and tires this wide (12.5") is trouble waiting to happen, for me I have enjoyed the general look of this combo and the wider tires have saved my wheels from rock rash on many occasions! I have one little scuff from what must have been the perfectly placed rock, but the large, protruding sidewalls have protected the relatively inset wheels from receiving lots of damage over the years.

The CONS:
  • The tire pressure dilemma. With wheels this narrow and tires this wide, unless you air down quite a bit you wont get the full width of the tire tread footprint to make contact with the ground. When off-roading and going down to like 20 psi this isn't an issue, but for daily driving the psi may be a bit lower than standard which can have some adverse effects. If your psi is too high then the center of the tire tread will wear quicker than the outside of the tread. That's what has happened to me unfortunately.
  • Rubbing. So the amount of rubbing I have seems to be pretty closely related to what my alignment is. If I get that castor maxed around +4 degrees, then it isn't too bad at all, but right now for example, my tires have been rubbing pretty badly at full lock which is chewing up my treads and breaking off lugs. I do have 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers so that adds to the rubbing in the rear of the front wheel wells, even with an aggressive BMC/pinch weld hammered flat/etc. And when the front wheel spacers are removed, I then rub on the front of my Total Chaos upper control arms at full lock. So it is just kind of a pain in the butt. One of the sacrifices of 35s I guess.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts