Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stressing put these on for months people where like there going to rub (did the body chop of course day I bought it almost 2 yrs now) they do at full tuck but at that point everything is rubbing I used 1.25 spidertrax spacer, I had to use these because my main concern was that the piggyback on the rear shock was like 4mm away from hitting the tire at all times with the Nitto terra grapplers 295/75/16.

I know spacer uuuhh but I have had these on buggys I've built and never had a issue not one. Anyway here are some pics. If this is in the wrong place please move it around forum gods.

[/IMG]
[/IMG][/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Ask question, let me know what you think.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its my retro fj 40 bumper you no the one behind the plastic. I took the bumper off and boom there she was steel so I decided to keep her. I will tell you one thing the approach angle is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Its my retro fj 40 bumper you no the one behind the plastic. I took the bumper off and boom there she was steel so I decided to keep her. I will tell you one thing the approach angle is pretty sweet.
I agree beatiful approach angle but in the case of an accident GOD FORBID you're airbags will be the first to pop!

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
On TRD rims... wow! It looks badass. How much rubbing is there? Did anyone give you a hard time when you went to mount them on those narrow wheels? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Nice looking rig. How does it drive?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got no problems at all from my local shop dont even know those guys that well. They mounted them with no problems. Talking to BFG they say this tire can be mounted on 8 in wheel no problem.

This thing drives fine I have had the sways off for about a year and a half now no issues.
I do hit the highway and I gotta say there is no wondering of the tires they do great for what the are.
There is no rubbing unless the tires are fully tucked, suspension bottomed out.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I think 8" is pushing it... 7.5" is really going over the limits. I would be careful with them losing a bead while you are taking a turn and whatnot. Airing down too much is probably not a good idea. I guess it's no different than the guys running 305/70r16 on these wheels. I have to admit, I was gonna do it too.

But, the rubbing at full tuck... is that front and back? Are you gonna put bigger bump stops on?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Guys I understand your concerns I wasnt trying to say the TRDs where 8in they just said they would fit on 8s. I run these tires in full speed corners with the left front wheel off the ground and no issue.

I do understand airing them down of course, if I am at that point then I got the starting fluid ready and maybe beadlocks in the future. I will be honest from 32 psi to about 18 its hard to even tell there was air let out of the tire.

Thanks for the advice and direction.

The rubbing is in the back just the plastic on the fender. with no sways she really goes all the way up in the rear. Both front and rear sways are gone it rides like a pillow at that point

·
Registered
156 Posts
So, no wondering at highway speeds.

Will the FJ run this size tire without causeing any undo strain to the rest of the vehicle operations?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So, no wondering at highway speeds.

Will the FJ run this size tire without causeing any undo strain to the rest of the vehicle operations?
Yea i had pitbull growlers and I know they are way different but those damn things drove where ever they wanted I ended up in exits I didnt even want to take but these have good manners I dont know if that will change as they wear down possible and maybe different on a old man emu setup but at 70 I take my had off the wheel and it tracks true for quite a while.

There are added stresses for sure when you buy tires like this you may as well include the price of replacement parts the minute I got these tires, I got part numbers for the clutch and all drive train components its not for everyone thats for sure. I am not trying to ruin the truck I just know that where it goes know is worth it in the long haul.

Honestly if I dont hit the strip club for 2 weeks there is the clutch
4 weeks new tranny
1 week new cv's
every upgrade is based on strippers eating so its kinda hard to let them starve I love those girls.

Thanks guys for the comments and questions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts