Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 886 springs came in today as well as the Super Swamper LTB's.
They just got mounted and balanced at the 4x4 shop.
My plan was to remove the coil-overs last night. Got off work late (around 1 am, i work afternoon evenings). At about 4 am, after installing my new sirius antenna (thanks rockforbrains) i was trying to get that third bolt off the top of the coil over to remove them (you know, that hard to reach one), my wrench slipped, bang (at this point i am walking back and forth holding my left fingers saying, don't be broken, don't be broken). I look down, and my middle finger has a big gash, i decide i will finish it in the morning.
With the aide of my cousin, we pulled out the coilovers and then installed the 886 springs (thanks for the springs torasport)

Then, i went picked my Super Swampers for a local 4x4 shop, Light Line of Louisiana in my trailer.

Let me know what yous guys think about the wheels and tires, eh?

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds great, hope the lift install goes well for ya.
It's my second rodeo on these front springs. So, i kind of know what i am doing. Found a close auto shop to do the spring compressing, hopefully my cousin can bring me sometime in the morning, I don't want to have to ride my bike with these in my back pack. But i will if i have too.:lol:
It's about 5 miles away down a kind of busy highway. Hmm, now that i think about it, he probably can't help me and i will have to do this.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Just borrow spring compressor from Autozone/Kragen. It's free with a deposit.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just borrow spring compressor from Autozone/Kragen. It's free with a deposit.
Are you talking about the ones you attach to the spring and the tighten down with a socket or air socket? I don't have any experience with those and they look dangerous. Im going to go ahead and take out the coil-overs tonight when i get home from work (and install my sirius antenna to the back of the FJammer), that way i can just go straight to the shop in the morning, then go pick up the tires.

On a side note, does anyone know what fuse goes to the trailer light harness. I borrowed my dads trailer to pick up the tires and the trailer lights don't work. I replaced the bulbs today because one burnt out. Now, they still don't work.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Are you talking about the ones you attach to the spring and the tighten down with a socket or air socket? I don't have any experience with those and they look dangerous. Im going to go ahead and take out the coil-overs tonight when i get home from work (and install my sirius antenna to the back of the FJammer), that way i can just go straight to the shop in the morning, then go pick up the tires.

On a side note, does anyone know what fuse goes to the trailer light harness. I borrowed my dads trailer to pick up the tires and the trailer lights don't work. I replaced the bulbs today because one burnt out. Now, they still don't work.
They are not dangerous if you are careful. Check them out. It's not like you have to pay for them. Free rentals. I believe the trailer light fuse is in the fuse box in the front by the battery.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I think its a 15 amp mini fuse .
Redboat

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Looks good Layton. Did they do an adequate job of balancing these?

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks great!! What are you doing with your old wheels and tires? if your getting rid of them I call dibs on them....
The main problem with wheeling in Louisiana is there is a lot of mud. To make it through this stuff with all terrains (of any brand) you have to have a decent amount of speed.
Speed + slippery, narrow, trails build for jeep width = body damage

I like to go slow and crawl through stuff as much as possible. Hence the reason for buying such a large, aggressive tire. They only last about 10-15K miles on road. These will just be used for wheeling.
My BFG's are terrific tires. They will continue to be my daily tires.

My only concern will be whether i will take the all terrains to Katemcy and Hot Springs or ride the LTB's all the way there.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
The main problem with wheeling in Louisiana is there is a lot of mud. To make it through this stuff with all terrains (of any brand) you have to have a decent amount of speed.
Speed + slippery, narrow, trails build for jeep width = body damage

I like to go slow and crawl through stuff as much as possible. Hence the reason for buying such a large, aggressive tire. They only last about 10-15K miles on road. These will just be used for wheeling.
My BFG's are terrific tires. They will continue to be my daily tires.

My only concern will be whether i will take the all terrains to Katemcy and Hot Springs or ride the LTB's all the way there.
disregard my pm to you then :) Got exited thinking about new tires for my rig.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good Layton. Did they do an adequate job of balancing these?
I noticed a slight shimmy before i put the tires on, after i installed the 886's. I believe i need an alignment. So i will wait a week or so, so they can settle a little then get it.
I have only driven them up to about 50 but i haven't experienced any vibrations. At first, it sounds like the tires are rubbing, then i realized that is how loud they are:lol:
With the mount chopped, they have PLENTY of room to move around.

They said the balancing on the outside of the rim is the most effective, but the all black tires and wheels with the little silver weight on the outside looks awful. They have a good bit of weights on one tire, the rest of them are pretty much normal.
There is verrrrry little room between the wheel and the brake caliper. I'd guesstimate 5mm or so. Is this typical?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
5mm is good enough-for now. That could change when they expand or when you get new pads...

The truck takes on a whole new character with these. You just don't sneak around anymore. :lol: My tires were somewhat balanced before, but after a few trips to some difficult trails, I think I either lost some weights or the tire spun on the rim. It's no longer balanced. It'll be Dynabeads for me.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
5mm is good enough-for now. That could change when they expand or when you get new pads...

The truck takes on a whole new character with these. You just don't sneak around anymore. :lol: My tires were somewhat balanced before, but after a few trips to some difficult trails, I think I either lost some weights or the tire spun on the rim. It's no longer balanced. It'll be Dynabeads for me.
The brake caliper gets larger or expands upon new brake pads???
What kind of pressure do you run on the trail usually? Right now they are aired up to about 28psi. I will have them on til the weekend just to see how they do at speed. Then take them off til i go out on the trail. Hopefully Saturday i can get my Source CO2 tank mounted on the rear tire panel. I just realized i have this long aluminum bar that will fit perfect between the two grocery hooks. Then bolt it to the plastic tire well.

·
Registered
670 Posts
First of all, that is one mean looking rig. Nice work. Secondly, I'm running the same wheel and the caliper clearance is minimal, but I've not heard of anyone having any problems with these. I don't think you'd have any chance whatsoever of contact from heat expansion and as long as you replace the pads with OEM pads, you should also be fine. I say this because I installed my wheels with 40 miles on the truck (pads were brand new) and had plenty of clearance. Again, your rig looks sweet:bigthumb:.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Looking good!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts