Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been searching through the forums for a long long time now and deciding whether or not to go with 35’s on a pro comp 3 in lift (unsure on type of tire). If I were to go through with it I would also purchase some UCA to compensate for the lift/larger tires. I am willing to chop and hammer in order to fit them in. I’ve read a little about regearing and understand it, but still unsure if it is completely necessary. I have a 2008 automatic which has the 8 in diff (smaller than 2010 and up). It is my daily but I will also be off-roading it during summer time.

Basically I was wondering if anyone had firsthand experience with all the aspects of fitting 35’s on a 3 in lift. What do I need to do? Any and all tips would be helpful. (and pictures)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Check out "off road hub" channel on youtube. Ken did a couple of videos fitting 35's to his FJ. He also did Busywylde Elbe trail and survived quite a bit of trail carnage to his FJ. Its interesting video- i highly recommend. He does extensive trails and provided me with lots of ideas for the future. He is a "true" offroader and takes on many challenges.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out "off road hub" channel on youtube. Ken did a couple of videos fitting 35's to his FJ. He also did Busywylde Elbe trail and survived quite a bit of trail carnage to his FJ. Its interesting video- i highly recommend. He does extensive trails and provided me with lots of ideas for the future. He is a "true" offroader and takes on many challenges.
Thanks for the recommendation. I watched a few of his videos and they definitely answered some of my questions. Those trails look mean, so I should be alright with the trails near me. I’m definitly looking forward to making the 35’s a reality.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Re-gearing will cost you an arm and a leg. Additionally, you'll have to find a shop that can properly perform the job. If the pinion and backlash are not set correctly the gears can self destruct. Search youtube for gear changes on Tacoma's to give you an idea of what's involved.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve been searching through the forums for a long long time now and deciding whether or not to go with 35’s on a pro comp 3 in lift (unsure on type of tire). If I were to go through with it I would also purchase some UCA to compensate for the lift/larger tires. I am willing to chop and hammer in order to fit them in. I’ve read a little about regearing and understand it, but still unsure if it is completely necessary. I have a 2008 automatic which has the 8 in diff (smaller than 2010 and up). It is my daily but I will also be off-roading it during summer time.

Basically I was wondering if anyone had firsthand experience with all the aspects of fitting 35’s on a 3 in lift. What do I need to do? Any and all tips would be helpful. (and pictures)
I'm installing my 3 inch Dobinsons lift to fit 35s right now. I already did a pretty aggressive BMC but haven't hammmered the pinch welds yet> from what i've heard pro comps usually give like 4 inches of lift or more so you should be ok as far as height goes just make sure you cut the body mount back far enough.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts

I know several people that run 35s on a 3" lift. I currently run 35x11.50's with a BMC and hammered pinch welds.

I still get a rogue rub every once in a while but it's honestly not bad.

Reactions: IDFJ
1 - 6 of 6 Posts