Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a new job where I am going to be driving 25-30K miles a year in my newly purchased FJ. Its already lifted 3" and the tires currently on the ride (BFG A/T's) are worn and need to be replaced. Im not going to be doing much off roading excepting driving on the beach in the summer. Im interested in all of your suggestions for a 35" tire (on an 18 rim) that will give me great longevity and good highway miles. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Good highway miles as in long life, or good mileage.

Are you concerned with mileage at all? Quite a few folks have ran the 315 BFG ats and were getting on average under 15MPGs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good highway miles as in long life, or good mileage.

Are you concerned with mileage at all? Quite a few folks have ran the 315 BFG ats and were getting on average under 15MPGs.
I could care less about MPGs as my company pays for all my fuel. Im more concerened with ride and longevity considering that I will be replacing tires every 2 years or less.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Ah, i'd steer away from aggressive tires (like mud terrains). They tend to wear more quickly than all terrains and street tires.

The tires i would consider with your "wants"
Nitto Terra Grapplers
BFG ATs
GoodYear Duratracs.

You also may have some/serious rubbing issues running a 315(35) with a 3" lift.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I am running 35" Toyo M/T's 13 MPG is all is the best the truck gets City/Highway makes no difference . Still running the stock gears. 38,000 miles on this set and they ride is still ride nice. Although the tires are getting louder. I am considering going back to the factory
16" wheels and 33" A/T tires.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
If your looking ot get 40 or 50000 out of a set of tires I would stay away from Nitto Mud grapplers. The Terra Grapplers are realy good.
I am running a set of Mud Grapplers now.. 15000 and still looking good,,I Hope to get 30ooo+. They Look Awesome and yes they are noisy..but Mine see alot of Mudd!
If your not offroading they are wasted money...

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Go SKINNNY for less rub.... ;)

·
Banned
2,640 Posts
i put almost 60k on my 35" pro comp extreme at's..they had about 10k left when i sold them, and i NEVER had an issue...road great, looked great, and never got stuck offroading during the last 4 dear seasons!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice. If I have 295 70 18s on the truck now, what would be a good option for the next "step down" as far the next size? Would 275 70 18 be a good option? They are less expensive and not too much smaller and narrower than the 295s if my research is correct.

·
Premium Member
16,781 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. If I have 295 70 18s on the truck now, what would be a good option for the next "step down" as far the next size? Would 275 70 18 be a good option? They are less expensive and not too much smaller and narrower than the 295s if my research is correct.
285/65r18 probably if you are staying with 18inch wheel.
Or 275.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Ah, i'd steer away from aggressive tires (like mud terrains). They tend to wear more quickly than all terrains and street tires.

The tires i would consider with your "wants"
Nitto Terra Grapplers
BFG ATs
GoodYear Duratracs.

You also may have some/serious rubbing issues running a 315(35) with a 3" lift.
I run the Nitto's...sized 35"...well over 60K...so thay have been well worth the cost. :cheers:

·
Registered
14 Posts
A 295/70-18 Dura Grappler would tuck under there very nicely, a bit excessive ply rating (10ply) but it would work very well.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had just bought a set of 34.5" nitto trail grapplers on 18" wheels for my tundra before I got the FJ. They were not much louder than stock, and the guys I knew who were running them were getting 40-50k out of a set. Little more aggressive than a a terra grappler, ok alot more agressive sidewall, but not as loud as a mud grappler in the nitto line. The set I had were heavy truck rated (up to 90psi) 8 ply i think. They were heavy and cut 2 mpg on my tundra. Overall I liked them alot. I may look at them again when it's time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts