Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been sitting on 4 brand new MT MTZ Baja tires and rims for almost a month now while waiting for my DR coilovers and rear springs etc. I had already chopped the body mounts weeks ago and decided to try the wheels on the stock suspension. Madness, you say, well it works pretty darn good. In a straight line, I can get full articulation front and back with no rubbing at all. There is some slight rubbing just moving slowly doing a hard turn, and it rubs pretty hard while braking and doing a hard turn. The trick is to come to a complete stop, turn the wheels and accelerate at the same time. I've been driving for 3 days now and haven't rubbed once. There is also lots of clearance on UCA too. Once the DR stuff is installed I'll have to re-align front end which will move tire further ahead and it shouldn't rub at all if it should happen to ride up that high while taking a hard turn. DR stuff is supposed to be here tomorrow or Fri. I can hardly wait. These pictures are at full articulation. I can lift drivers side rear tire easily.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
I've been sitting on 4 brand new MT MTZ Baja tires and rims for almost a month now while waiting for my DR coilovers and rear springs etc. I had already chopped the body mounts weeks ago and decided to try the wheels on the stock suspension. Madness, you say, well it works pretty darn good. In a straight line, I can get full articulation front and back with no rubbing at all. There is some slight rubbing just moving slowly doing a hard turn, and it rubs pretty hard while braking and doing a hard turn. The trick is to come to a complete stop, turn the wheels and accelerate at the same time. I've been driving for 3 days now and haven't rubbed once. There is also lots of clearance on UCA too. Once the DR stuff is installed I'll have to re-align front end which will move tire further ahead and it shouldn't rub at all if it should happen to ride up that high while taking a hard turn. DR stuff is supposed to be here tomorrow or Fri. I can hardly wait. These pictures are at full articulation. I can lift drivers side rear tire easily.
Remove (2) of your image quotes from the front and rear and then the pic will be seen :)

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
what.... your tire is stuffed on a curb thats half the size of a parking stop. and i hate to rain on your parade, i know its only a temp setup, but there is no way that you can turn under articulation. they may fit but in now way is it truely functional.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What you don't see in the picture is the ditch on the other side. The driveway goes over a 3 foot culvert where the truck is parked, just kidding, it's about 18 inches.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
No offense, but you'll have major rubbing issues -- no not in a straight line, but when the rig articulates. This is not a flame, it's just physics. I have DR suspension, DR UCA's, I've hacked all of the plastic and metal that I can possibly hack away including the mud flaps and their plastic supports and I rub with 34's (actually 33.9's - so they're not really even 34's) when I'm on the trail and am making full use of the suspension. MIR207 did a study and the largest tires you can put on a 3" lift (which includes the DR's at maximum setting) without a rub are 33's. MIR207 is quite correct.

My experience= http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...t-scorpion-uphills-build-up-4.html#post533694

·
Registered
221 Posts
theres way more articulation to be found than that, well not with 35s stock. itll look sweet with the DR setup though.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
I would like to know which MT wheel size are those? I;ve been looking at the same Classic Lock too, but i heard members say they do rub the brake and some say they don't. So my question is are they the 8" or 10" wide, and are they 16" or the 17" wheels, thanks :) By the way, I agree with Larry, you will get rubbing when full articulation. I've got the DR myself, as a mater of fact in the morning I'm getting my body mounts choped, then on Friday I'm installing bothe the front & rear DR. I also have the new DR which states that I can dial them up to 3.5" with new UCA's.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, this is just me getting excited. Yes, the tires do rub when turning. I wouldn't want to turn the wheels at all at full articulation. It is full articulation when one tire lifts off the ground, is it not? There is maybe 30-40 lbs of weight on the back tire in the pictures, and the tires are not touching or rubbing anywhere. The body mounts have been chopped and the mudflaps trimmed and this is a temporary deal until I get my DR stuff. I just thought that it would be good to know that with the 3" lift,you can get full travel associated with full articulation and some decent spring compression and the tire will end at the height it is now. The only difference will be that the front end alignment will move the spindle forward and should give me the clearance I need to turn the wheels at this amount of compression. Hopefully, I'll let you know next week.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Ya, but clearing at full articulation without being able to turn the tires is completely worthless. In what offroad situation would you think it would do you any good to have 35s that you can't steer when you're flexed up?

I guess I just don't see the point of the post.

Sean

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The rims are 17X9 with 4 1/2" back spacing. And yes, they are close to the calipers, but do not touch. This is my second set of tires and rims (I had the 33's before).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya, but clearing at full articulation without being able to turn the tires is completely worthless. In what offroad situation would you think it would do you any good to have 35s that you can't steer when you're flexed up?

I guess I just don't see the point of the post.

Sean
Read post #12

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Read post #12
Correct me if I'm misunderstanding you.....but you don't have your 3" lift on yet, right? So, how do you really know it's gonna clear at full stuff and at full lock?

Sean

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Again, beating a dead horse to ...death... When I look at the photos you posted, I KNOW that the tires rub when you turn. I'm not a rocket scientist like MIR207, but I do have practical experience in these matters. When you're going over rocks or very uneven terrain it will rub--a lot. You may be able to turn when the shocks are fully compressed but maybe not, and you're putting a lot of stress on the front end, the weakest part of an FJ.

Additionally with 35's you should consider a gearing change and go to a higher ratio to support the larger tires. I'm on the borderline in terms of tire size and the gearing change is on my list. I don't think it would be necessary with 33's

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Let us know how it works for you.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Here's Mir's full articulation . You'll find that unless you wheel hard, you're not likely to run into those situations. If you don't intend to really push the FJ, you have nothing to worry about. I bet maybe even 36 will fit-if you go straight and don't stop much...

fwiw, Mir is using OME hard, not DR.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts