Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Does this sound right to you?

I went to Off Road Unlimited in Burbank California and the guy quoted me $3550.00 for a 2.5" lift: - $2746 parts - $800 labor
WALKER EVANS
ALL PRO 2.5" ADJUSTABLE COIL OVER
2.5" FULL COIL REAR LIFT
BRAKE LINES, UPPER CONTROL ARM

Now I told the guy I may go offroad every once and awhile. I'm 95% road, maybe 5% off. (haven't been off yet in the stock FJ) Daily driver.

He said this was a good set up and would ride better than the stock suspension. Also said this was better than spacers that would wear my ball joints out.

I want a good lift but I don't want to spend unnecessary money. I'm rarely going to get offroad but I'm going. I do like the look of the lift. BTW quoted another 2K for tires and wheels. Offered to powder coat my stocks for $70 bucks a wheel.

What are my options? I want to go 2-3 inches. Really don't want to modify anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I run Icon Stage II and I love them. (Saving up to upgrade to Stage 5)
Your quote sounds like a Stage II.

Toyota - 2010 + FJ Cruiser - ICON Vehicle Dynamics

Also, Demello Offroad has a group buy that gives you an extra 10% off the Icon system.... take a look at the SocalFJ Site

Tax season sale - SoCal FJ Cruiser Forums

Don't mess with spacers ($200sh) If you have the cash do it right the first time. My rig is my daily driver and my Icon suspension drives like stock suspension, but I get 2.5-3.0 lift.

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
Too much.

Step 1: sign onto socalfjcruisers.com
Step 2: go to demello offroad and offer cash for a icon setup (apparently he's a sucker for cash) or buy the suspension of your choice online
Step 3: ask a socaler to help with install (usually costs a 6 pack of beer) OR organize a mod night

Just for reference, the install of my 6" kit cost $700 and my kit required cutting and welding. Even a tire shop can do a simple coilover install.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I like the Walker Evans stuff. Ran both the 2.0 and 2.5s. I think you may want to talk to AllPro as they sell those. You can see the prices on their site too.

There are lots of quality shocks to chose from, but from what you're saying, you just want to lift it a bit and have a nice on road feel. I think you could probably save some money and just go with OME.

While the installation is fairly straightforward, never underestimate the power of sloppy work. There have been plenty of reports of shoddy work. Ask FJessence what happened to him when he first got his lift :D.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I agree with previous posts. Get up with some friends/family/local FJers and do it yourself. I put my lift on with a good friend. Total costs, some busted knuckles, and about a $15 pizza. Total gain, nice lifted FJ, a better working knowledge of my suspension, saved a bunch of $$$, and a fun time hanging out with a really good friend.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Too much.

Step 1: sign onto socalfjcruisers.com
Step 2: go to demello offroad and offer cash for a icon setup (apparently he's a sucker for cash) or buy the suspension of your choice online
Step 3: ask a socaler to help with install (usually costs a 6 pack of beer) OR organize a mod night

Just for reference, the install of my 6" kit cost $700 and my kit required cutting and welding. Even a tire shop can do a simple coilover install.
this man has the answers!:rocker:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sounds like youre not looking for serious off road capability. I think the walker evans is over kill in this case. Pretty much any coilover kit is. If you are only going to do occasional light offroading then i would just go with a OME kit. Much less expensive. Plus add me to the list of people who think you can easily find some help and install it yourself.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Hey dubb57, I'm in Burbank and have heard that ORU can be pretty pricey. I have an Icon stage 1 kit waiting to be installed and would love to put it on myself, just don't want to screw it up. Larry at Dirty Parts (Culver City) said that he would do the install for $375 plus $99 for an alignment.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fraglerock,

Thanks for that info. I think I'll check out the Icons and Larry at Dirty Parts.

I'm in Studio City. Lets get together and take these rigs off road!

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts
Fraglerock,

Thanks for that info. I think I'll check out the Icons and Larry at Dirty Parts.

I'm in Studio City. Lets get together and take these rigs off road!
Once again, join socalfjcruisers.com ;) there are regular wheeling trips and get togethers. Fragilerock and dominicg are there and I'm sure they will vouch for it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts