Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here are some pics of my new rims and tires

36"x12.5"x17" Super Swamper TSL/SX on Black Rock 909 17"x8"

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Re: 36"x12.5"x17" Super Swamper TSL/SX on Black Rock 909 17"x8"

Looks Good Shaun!!! How's the clearance? rubbing? have you trail rated it yet?

if it works for you.. it will also works for me.... Bye 35" Hello 36" :lol:

:cheers:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Looks Good Shaun!!! How's the clearance? rubbing? have you trail rated it yet?

if it works for you.. it will also works for me.... Bye 35" Hello 36" :lol:

:cheers:
i just put them on today i have to trim the body mount a little more and trim the stock front bumper a little bit and it should be good. it only rubs at full lock.

·
fka gremlin2050
1,775 Posts

Holy mother of Jeebus. Those look indestructible!

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts

i just put them on today i have to trim the body mount a little more and trim the stock front bumper a little bit and it should be good. it only rubs at full lock.

Nice pics.

Unless that 36" tires is really closer to a 35" tire at its true size, you are going to have quite a bit more rubbing than you are hinting at there. There are threads on here showing how bad 35", 35.5", 36", and 37" tires rub and limit wheel travel on 3" lifts (SouthTexasCruiser, MIR, MT, dude who put 37" Krawlers) . I think most people simply don't cycle their suspension all the way to see how it rubs...those who have basically determined that a 35" tire will still rub a well chopped body mount.

You actually have any shots at full compression (front and rear), full lock and compression (front)? Taking the coilover out will make it much easier to cycle and see all the rubbing you'll have going on.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts

Never know until you stuff em' in the wheel well :rocker:

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts

Sweet looking tire those will be next on my jeep. Did you change gearing?

·
Registered
191 Posts

Shaun:

Looks great! Thanks for posting.

Also looks like you're not running the Spidertrax any longer??? Can you confirm?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Nice pics.

Unless that 36" tires is really closer to a 35" tire at its true size, you are going to have quite a bit more rubbing than you are hinting at there. There are threads on here showing how bad 35", 35.5", 36", and 37" tires rub and limit wheel travel on 3" lifts (SouthTexasCruiser, MIR, MT, dude who put 37" Krawlers) . I think most people simply don't cycle their suspension all the way to see how it rubs...those who have basically determined that a 35" tire will still rub a well chopped body mount.

You actually have any shots at full compression (front and rear), full lock and compression (front)? Taking the coilover out will make it much easier to cycle and see all the rubbing you'll have going on.
i chopped the body mount further back and had a buddy of mine weld in some steel plating to get back some of the strength that i lost. i went on a small trail ride to cycle through the suspension and it rubs pretty good on hard bumps and when i cut the wheel all the way but i'm going to get a 1 1/2" body lift to help out a little bit.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Awesome! Yeah my 35s always rub on runs and I have to repaint my wheel wells after every wash, cus the tires are rubbing them down to bare metal!

My question is what PSI are you riding on? Do they feel like rocks on your rims? And did you balance with beads?
when i had the 35s on they would rub at full suspension travel so i knew the 36s would rub but i'm willing to live with that till i get the 1 1/2" body lift plus the extra traction that i get is great. when i went on the trail ride yesterday some of the mud holes that i had to spin the tires and fight a little to make it through now i just crawl through them

i run them at 20psi on the road and i have 8 oz of beads in each tire. between 40mph and 50mph the steering wheel shakes but before or after that its fine

they actually feel softer on the road then my procomps

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Shaun:

Looks great! Thanks for posting.

Also looks like you're not running the Spidertrax any longer??? Can you confirm?
i was only running the spidertrax up front and i'm still running them.

·
Registered
458 Posts

Looks good I am gonna go to that size tire some day after I regear.I also am going to a body lift and the type B 16x8 rims I got from wheelers look to have more back spacing than yours.Doyou rub on the UCA's some also and have you aired down to 10lbs yet cause that is when the swampers shine!!

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts

i chopped the body mount further back and had a buddy of mine weld in some steel plating to get back some of the strength that i lost. i went on a small trail ride to cycle through the suspension and it rubs pretty good on hard bumps and when i cut the wheel all the way but i'm going to get a 1 1/2" body lift to help out a little bit.
Even with the body mount chopped significantly it will still rub as you've pointed out. All that the spacer lift is really going to buy you is additional uptravel that you are losing with the larger tires hitting the fender earlier than a 33" would. The rub at lock and near the back of the wheel well will always be an issue. The front suspension would have to be moved forward a few inches to get everything to clear properly (Do it! :bigthumb:).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Sweet looking tire those will be next on my jeep. Did you change gearing?
thanks and no i didnt regear yet. before i do that i'll look into putting in a different front rear thats a lot stronger.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Looks good I am gonna go to that size tire some day after I regear.I also am going to a body lift and the type B 16x8 rims I got from wheelers look to have more back spacing than yours.Doyou rub on the UCA's some also and have you aired down to 10lbs yet cause that is when the swampers shine!!
no i dont rub at all on the uca's i do have spidertrax spacers up front. and i havent aired it down to 10psi yet i'm worried if i air down that low i'll blow a bead

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Even with the body mount chopped significantly it will still rub as you've pointed out. All that the spacer lift is really going to buy you is additional uptravel that you are losing with the larger tires hitting the fender earlier than a 33" would. The rub at lock and near the back of the wheel well will always be an issue. The front suspension would have to be moved forward a few inches to get everything to clear properly (Do it! :bigthumb:).
it would be cheaper to install a 6" lift then to move the suspension forward a couple of inches.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts