Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
101 - 120 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
All, If you click on Dallassterling's name on his post it will give you the option to send a messages on the bottom right of the pop up screen. Then you will have a conversation in the conversation window.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everybody.

I just popped up to Yosemite to sleep in my truck and try out my latch and came back to this. I'm flattered. I'm pretty busy, but I'm going to try to make these for everyone if you don't mind being a little patient. If all of you who are interested in a set don't mind sending me a PM with your specific colors listed that would be helpful for me to organize this. Please specify if you would like the Handle. It's the longest part to print, so if it's not desired it'll speed up the process for me significantly. So let's format the request like this:

Handle - Yes/No. If yes, Black, Grey, Red, Orange, Blue, or White?
Port color - Black, Grey, Red, Orange, Blue, or White?
Button color - Black, Grey, Red, Orange, Blue, or White?

The internal linkage will be whatever color was on the printer last, but won't be visible. Finally, as everyone has suggested, $20 seems reasonable for the effort, so that's what we'll do. But I'll go ahead and include the aluminum rod already bent to match mine so you won't need any additional materials to install. All snap fit for the release parts.

Thanks!
Dallas
Very impressive design build! If any available, I would like a kit
Handle Yes
Port: black
Button Grey
Thanks.
C E

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks FJtest. Happy to. Here's a folder with the original Sketchup files and the associated STL files for print. Note that the FJ's existing rod is 5mm diameter, while I used 1/4" aluminum rod (6mm). If using any other diameter rod, you'd need to modify the clip and the button hole to reflect that diameter.

Could you sell me a complete kit? I don’t know anyone with a printer. I need rod and all. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Could you sell me a complete kit? I don’t know anyone with a printer. I need rod and all. Thanks

I tried to send PM but I don’t see it under your name. Email me please
Ridem32 aol dot com. Thanks very much

·
Registered
2014 Black FJC, Blacked Out windows, badges, TT door handles, mirrors, grill,
57 Posts
All, If you click on Dallassterling's name on his post it will give you the option to send a messages on the bottom right of the pop up screen. Then you will have a conversation in the conversation window.
BUMP…. Do exactly as Grip5001FJ said, OR upper right hand of you screen click on your profile picture. It will give you the option to “Start a Conversation”. Then “Recipients” start typing in Dallassterling .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Was not sure if you would be selling these to the market or this group rather but I’ve been continuing to watch this thread I’ve been very impressed with your work on both mods and would like to be able to purchase the door opener mod if quite possible that I feel there’s a huge market for this and maybe you should explore some type of avenue to make it easier on yourself or please pier me details without a contact and I’ll be glad to work details out with you.

·
Premium Member
3,566 Posts
If you've been watching this thread then you'll know that in post #33 he requested us to send him a PM with your color preference, mailing address and $20 + shipping (he'll tell you what the shipping is once you've PM'd him your mailing address).

If you cannot PM, then that means you have not yet posted anything to this forum and must first reply to a post on this forum, and then the system admin will allow you to send PM.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The visual of using extra long needle nose pliers just gave me a reasonable explanation as to why that square hole exists in the first place - perhaps as an easy access point to the door release rod. Anyone know what the official reason for it's existence might be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've seen a similar access panel in at least one other vehicle (Subaru Outback). I've wondered if it's there for a door release that's available in other markets. Maybe a safety concern, that the door could be opened while the FJ is in motion, prevents it from being offered here. But I don't know. Pure speculation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Late to the party, but have to agree with everyone else; this is awesome!

And thanks for graciously sharing your files. I'll give it a go (y)
Hey everyone. First time posting here, but it's been an amazing resource for me so I wanted to give back. There have been several posts about this already and I want to thank especially WESAYSO and SONOF40 for the inspiration. I'm preparing to do more car camping with my FJ cruiser, so in anticipation of sleeping in the cab I needed a way to exit. Here's what I did:

There's already a small access port in the bottom left of the rear door inside panel, so I calipered it and quickly modeled it in Sketchup to form my parts around. I modeled an inset port that has snap fit sides to sink flush into the existing opening. I also modeled a "button" that will gently snap in to the rails on the "port" and keep it traveling vertically, but with a loose fit as to not bind.

View attachment 1163413 View attachment 1163414 View attachment 1163415

I was surprised this worked perfectly on the first try. But no complaints! I located the metal rod that moves vertically from the exterior handle and modeled a snap fit junction to intercept it with my own aluminum rod. The junction snap fits onto the existing rod and has a topside receiver for the aluminum rod I cut and bent to fit. This was a bit of a gut feeling shape. But in general I came up the length of the straight portion of the existing rod, then bent out and up 45 degrees, then back out at 90 degrees to the original rod. Basically targeting the center top of the existing opening. Then cut the excess off to slide into the rear of the button. The "junction' piece's rotation around the rods allows a little fore/aft play for connection, while keeping a rigid connection in the vertical axis.

View attachment 1163418 View attachment 1163419 View attachment 1163420

Next, I designed and printed a pull handle and created it to fit into the top left bolt hole that fastens the door cover on. There were naturally negative spaces on the left and right of the port for placing the snap in hole cover. I utilized these to keep the handle from rotating. Kind of a keyway design. One thing I struggled with was that the receiver for those two bolts is a plastic insert and I felt that yanking on the handle over time could weaken that, so I grabbed a 3" 5/16th carriage bolt from the HD that fit perfectly in the square hole of the door with the threads facing OUT. That way I can tighten the through bolt down from the outside for easy removal later. I had to remove the bracket from the door temporarily to install the carriage bolt.

View attachment 1163421 View attachment 1163422 View attachment 1163424

Lastly, I basically did the exact mod that WESAYSO has posted, but placed the button under the pull handle to protect it from shifting cargo and prying eyes. 10 bucks on amazon for 5 3 position switches with male paddle connectors. Look to their post for details.

View attachment 1163425

Ultimately, I think this recessed button design is the safest when it comes to shifting cargo. It seems very unlikely that anything would poke into a small opening AND push down, so I feel confident I won't lose my cargo all over the freeway. Here's a video of it in operation. Thanks for reading!

Dallas

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been looking to buy a rear door handle kit, i figured it might be available in other markets. So I googled FJ Cruiser rear door latch and your posts show up, I’m not cool enough to own a printer, Are you still selling these kits? I would love to buy one

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Day Dallasstering. I am defiantly interested in purchasing your door latch system from you and I am willing to wait for it as I understand your very busy. Please contact me at [email protected] FYI: Awesome design by the way!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone. First time posting here, but it's been an amazing resource for me so I wanted to give back. There have been several posts about this already and I want to thank especially WESAYSO and SONOF40 for the inspiration. I'm preparing to do more car camping with my FJ cruiser, so in anticipation of sleeping in the cab I needed a way to exit. Here's what I did:

There's already a small access port in the bottom left of the rear door inside panel, so I calipered it and quickly modeled it in Sketchup to form my parts around. I modeled an inset port that has snap fit sides to sink flush into the existing opening. I also modeled a "button" that will gently snap in to the rails on the "port" and keep it traveling vertically, but with a loose fit as to not bind.

View attachment 1163413 View attachment 1163414 View attachment 1163415

I was surprised this worked perfectly on the first try. But no complaints! I located the metal rod that moves vertically from the exterior handle and modeled a snap fit junction to intercept it with my own aluminum rod. The junction snap fits onto the existing rod and has a topside receiver for the aluminum rod I cut and bent to fit. This was a bit of a gut feeling shape. But in general I came up the length of the straight portion of the existing rod, then bent out and up 45 degrees, then back out at 90 degrees to the original rod. Basically targeting the center top of the existing opening. Then cut the excess off to slide into the rear of the button. The "junction' piece's rotation around the rods allows a little fore/aft play for connection, while keeping a rigid connection in the vertical axis.

View attachment 1163418 View attachment 1163419 View attachment 1163420

Next, I designed and printed a pull handle and created it to fit into the top left bolt hole that fastens the door cover on. There were naturally negative spaces on the left and right of the port for placing the snap in hole cover. I utilized these to keep the handle from rotating. Kind of a keyway design. One thing I struggled with was that the receiver for those two bolts is a plastic insert and I felt that yanking on the handle over time could weaken that, so I grabbed a 3" 5/16th carriage bolt from the HD that fit perfectly in the square hole of the door with the threads facing OUT. That way I can tighten the through bolt down from the outside for easy removal later. I had to remove the bracket from the door temporarily to install the carriage bolt.

View attachment 1163421 View attachment 1163422 View attachment 1163424

Lastly, I basically did the exact mod that WESAYSO has posted, but placed the button under the pull handle to protect it from shifting cargo and prying eyes. 10 bucks on amazon for 5 3 position switches with male paddle connectors. Look to their post for details.

View attachment 1163425

Ultimately, I think this recessed button design is the safest when it comes to shifting cargo. It seems very unlikely that anything would poke into a small opening AND push down, so I feel confident I won't lose my cargo all over the freeway. Here's a video of it in operation. Thanks for reading!

Dallas
Hi Dallas,
This is a bloody great idea.
If you are selling any of these it would be great if I could get one.
I wouldn't want the handle setup and it would be great all in black.
If possible could you please get back to me to inform me if you are selling them.
Once again great idea great job well done

101 - 120 of 165 Posts