Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
141 - 160 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey hondtch16,
Yes, for the timebeing. I'm about to leave town for a movie and I'll be gone more than a month so please PM me specifying your color choices and desire for a handle yes/no as well as your full name and shipping address if you're still interested.

D
No rush, as I know you're out of town, but I'm another 3D printerless FJ owner sent over from Lil13izzy7's video on Youtube who would like to order a kit! I'll PM you my info as directed, but again - no rush. I'm working up the "courage" and ordering supplies to do the window button mod. Safe travels and good health to you! :)

·
Registered
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser, Upgrade Package 2
2 Posts
Got the handle, port, and button delivered last Friday and managed to install the latch and handle this past weekend. The only difficult task was trying to line up and attach the button to the port. I couldn't get it, even tried to attach it at different angles. Not sure if the rod was a little short? So I separated the metal rod from the button, and widened the hole on the button about 1mm. That way, I can attach the button to the rod with no effort. With that, I attached the button already on the port, lined up the door panel, and carefully line up the rod to the button at the same time; 10x easier that way. Only downside I guess with this is the rod isn't fully secured to the button, but I haven't notice any issues so far after a dozen uses. One thing I wished I did before installation was sanding the 3d printed parts. The button would sometimes get stuck. But after a dozen uses, I noticed it's starting to smooth out on its own. Other than that, I can finally exit the rear door of my FJ, you just made car camping in my FJ more fun! Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2011 FJ TT. 5AT
10 Posts
This is something I need! New to the FJ but not Toyotas, mainly Tacoma's and Hilux's. I think Toyota should have made this a long time ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone. First time posting here, but it's been an amazing resource for me so I wanted to give back. There have been several posts about this already and I want to thank especially WESAYSO and SONOF40 for the inspiration. I'm preparing to do more car camping with my FJ cruiser, so in anticipation of sleeping in the cab I needed a way to exit. Here's what I did:

There's already a small access port in the bottom left of the rear door inside panel, so I calipered it and quickly modeled it in Sketchup to form my parts around. I modeled an inset port that has snap fit sides to sink flush into the existing opening. I also modeled a "button" that will gently snap in to the rails on the "port" and keep it traveling vertically, but with a loose fit as to not bind.

View attachment 1163413 View attachment 1163414 View attachment 1163415

I was surprised this worked perfectly on the first try. But no complaints! I located the metal rod that moves vertically from the exterior handle and modeled a snap fit junction to intercept it with my own aluminum rod. The junction snap fits onto the existing rod and has a topside receiver for the aluminum rod I cut and bent to fit. This was a bit of a gut feeling shape. But in general I came up the length of the straight portion of the existing rod, then bent out and up 45 degrees, then back out at 90 degrees to the original rod. Basically targeting the center top of the existing opening. Then cut the excess off to slide into the rear of the button. The "junction' piece's rotation around the rods allows a little fore/aft play for connection, while keeping a rigid connection in the vertical axis.

View attachment 1163418 View attachment 1163419 View attachment 1163420

Next, I designed and printed a pull handle and created it to fit into the top left bolt hole that fastens the door cover on. There were naturally negative spaces on the left and right of the port for placing the snap in hole cover. I utilized these to keep the handle from rotating. Kind of a keyway design. One thing I struggled with was that the receiver for those two bolts is a plastic insert and I felt that yanking on the handle over time could weaken that, so I grabbed a 3" 5/16th carriage bolt from the HD that fit perfectly in the square hole of the door with the threads facing OUT. That way I can tighten the through bolt down from the outside for easy removal later. I had to remove the bracket from the door temporarily to install the carriage bolt.

View attachment 1163421 View attachment 1163422 View attachment 1163424

Lastly, I basically did the exact mod that WESAYSO has posted, but placed the button under the pull handle to protect it from shifting cargo and prying eyes. 10 bucks on amazon for 5 3 position switches with male paddle connectors. Look to their post for details.

View attachment 1163425

Ultimately, I think this recessed button design is the safest when it comes to shifting cargo. It seems very unlikely that anything would poke into a small opening AND push down, so I feel confident I won't lose my cargo all over the freeway. Here's a video of it in operation. Thanks for reading!

Dallas
This is exactly what I was looking for except I don’t have a 3D printer:/ …… I saw this mentioned is there a way / time you could print this and offer for sale ? I would be very interested in a RED set up if possible \_/ please let me know …… Cheers KK

·
Registered
4WD/FJ cruiser 08/Black Diamond
1 Posts
This mod is awesome, i not got any printer 3D
Can you printed and sale? 🤗👌🙏 Just i would like have the switch, no handle... Just like this in the picture... plis
Hand Gesture Finger Font Material property

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dallas--

Thanks for sharing this mod! Since I don't have a 3D printer, I'd happily pay for the kit that others have requested. If I can figure out out to use PM, I'll send you details.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just picked up a 2007 FJC on Monday. Started down the rabbit hole of mods and stumbled upon this. Awesome mod and actually have both form and function!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just did my first overnight overland trip in my 2012 FJ and used a air mattress in the back. I absolutely loved it but my only complaint was no latch inside for the back door ( trying to get out at 3 A.M. at DEFCON 1 bathroom emergency was a struggle). I absolutely love this mod and the FJ community on this forum. It's truly amazing the community this great truck has created and this mod is amazing and absolutely beautiful how you've made it look stock!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for this. Works perfectly although due to what feels like a weak spring in my 2009 it took some sanding to 600 grit and a little graphite to keep the button from sticking halfway back up on the rebound.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is exactly what I was looking for except I don’t have a 3D printer:/ …… I saw this mentioned is there a way / time you could print this and offer for sale ? I would be very interested in a RED set up if possible \_/ please let me know …… Cheers KK
Hey dallassterling, I too would be interested in a black if the 3d latch is available?-kentvptx

·
Registered
192 Posts
The weather and my schedule finally allowed me to install this mod today. I followed along with LiL13izzy7's YouTube vid, and one thing he pointed out really saved my bacon. At first, the button was sticking about halfway when pressed and released. The video demonstrated how vital it is to get the grooves on the button lined up with the slots on the trim piece that fits in the door. To do this, as danwillfj mentioned above, I removed the button from the rod, slid the button into the trim piece, then pushed the assembly back on the rod, only I didn't widen the hole. This was easier said than done, but now it works flawlessly. I would suspect that most folks who have installed this but found the button to stick, probably didn't have the button and trim piece mated properly. This is such a great mod, thanks again dallassterling!
Automotive tire Bumper Rim Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dallas--

Thanks for sharing this mod! Since I don't have a 3D printer, I'd happily pay for the kit that others have requested. If I can figure out out to use PM, I'll send you details.

Thanks again.
Did you ever figure out how to send Dallas a PM? I also for the life of me cannot figure it out! Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
If you read this thread, it is explained several times (because it has happened to a lot of first time posters): after you make one post to this forum then the system will allow you to send him a PM.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
So I'm attempting this mod tonight (along w/ window lock/release on-off-on switch), and after a preliminary run I'm confused. I think it was @LiL13izzy7 that said he "snapped" the door housing and button together (interior door panel in one hand, button on rod in the other), but @Moonbuggy and others are saying to take the button off the rod, slide the button and housing together, and then put the rod back into the hold on the button (interior door panel w/ button slid onto housing in one hand, rod in the other hand)? Which was is the way to go? Either way, I can tell my big ass arm isn't going to fit behind the interior door panel, and it's going to piss me off. :LOL: :mad:

The other night I tried sliding the housing in the door panel onto the button and there's just not enough room.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
"I can tell my big ass arm isn't going to fit behind the interior door panel," - about 4 pages back I posted that I used a long thin rod to reach up behind there during trim installation and it worked great

·
Registered
192 Posts
So I'm attempting this mod tonight (along w/ window lock/release on-off-on switch), and after a preliminary run I'm confused. I think it was @LiL13izzy7 that said he "snapped" the door housing and button together (interior door panel in one hand, button on rod in the other), but @Moonbuggy and others are saying to take the button off the rod, slide the button and housing together, and then put the rod back into the hold on the button (interior door panel w/ button slid onto housing in one hand, rod in the other hand)? Which was is the way to go? Either way, I can tell my big ass arm isn't going to fit behind the interior door panel, and it's going to piss me off. :LOL: :mad:

The other night I tried sliding the housing in the door panel onto the button and there's just not enough room.
The important thing is to make sure the button seats completely into the trim piece, so whatever it takes, do that. I have small ass arms, and not enough strength to push the trim piece/door panel onto the button correctly, so it was necessary for me to take the button off the rod, finagle it into the trim piece on the door panel, then push it back onto the rod. If you CAN leave the button on the rod and snap it all up, that would probably be best/easiest. I just couldn't do it.

Reactions: CRAW
141 - 160 of 165 Posts