Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a basic 3D printer a few months ago for another project I'm working on, and once I started using it of course I started thinking about what I could do with it for the FJ.

Looking around here on the forum and on Thingiverse =FJ, I see some creative modeling and a few functional items but not a ton. Below are a few projects I've been working on. I'm just getting started and would love to hear what others have done and the techniques and materials you used to get good results.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I made a couple of replacement cup holders. There are numerous designs out there and a couple of vendors with high-quality versions. This is a pretty easy starter print because you don't have to worry about structural strength really, just need to get the dimensions right. PLA is easy to print with and I've found that it is softer and doesn't mar the existing cup-well, where PETg will.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Made some rock-light brackets also to utilize existing threaded frame holes. Used PETg which is more durable. Since these are under the vehicle I shouldn't have to worry too much about UV degradation.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I designed these heated seat switch bezels out of PLA so that the switch clips into them and the bezel presses into the holes I cut into the center console. Little plastidip and you'd never know the truck came without them!
58103941748--C0E1144E-95FB-4B34-8937-5FDC7E62BB5E.JPG
IMG-0393.jpg

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is my take on one that several people and vendors have also done. Rear camera cover. Three piece construction using PETg. Parts are then super glued together. Incorporates a light housing to add a little bling to it, because why not? Not sure how long the PETg will hold up in the sun, but it's plenty strong enough to support the spare when you're taking it on and off.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This project I'm still working on and haven't seen anywhere else yet. I bought a set of LED replacement lights for the rear bumper (instead of reflectors) a few years ago. I backed into a tree on the trail and busted one this summer. Unfortunately I can't find them for sale anywhere now. So I'm attempting to print a new set. Using Clear Red PETg filament I can print a passable reflector lens. It's far from perfect but from five feet you'd be hard pressed to see the difference.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more I'm working on. Lots of people have added these 2.5" halo/spot lights to their mirrors. I like the light setup with the halo wired to the blinker/running light circuits and the spots wired in with the ditch lights. When I put my first set in I used caulk to hold them in place and seal the edges. But that means there's no way to replace or maintain them without digging all of that caulk out. I'm building a set of TRD housings this time and wanted a better way to mount the lights but I also wanted to keep the factory lens. I scavenged the lenses out of my old factory bulb housings and printed a set of brackets to hold the light and lens tightly in place. I used PETg again for these. They will be in the housings so UV degradation shouldn't be an issue. Printed in 3 pieces to make it easier to print, I haven't had a lot of luck with support structures so far.

·
Registered
FJ Cruiser 2007, standard as it gets.
14 Posts
One more I'm working on. Lots of people have added these 2.5" halo/spot lights to their mirrors. I like the light setup with the halo wired to the blinker/running light circuits and the spots wired in with the ditch lights. When I put my first set in I used caulk to hold them in place and seal the edges. But that means there's no way to replace or maintain them without digging all of that caulk out. I'm building a set of TRD housings this time and wanted a better way to mount the lights but I also wanted to keep the factory lens. I scavenged the lenses out of my old factory bulb housings and printed a set of brackets to hold the light and lens tightly in place. I used PETg again for these. They will be in the housings so UV degradation shouldn't be an issue. Printed in 3 pieces to make it easier to print, I haven't had a lot of luck with support structures so far. View attachment 1146033 View attachment 1146034 View attachment 1146035 View attachment 1146036 View attachment 1146037 View attachment 1146038 View attachment 1146039
I'd totally buy this if you ever decide to make it available. So cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts