Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been spending a few hours a week learning how to model 3d parts. I've got my printer settings down, but modeling is another animal. Please upload whatever you can on Thinkverse! i'm currently working on a few things as well, once complete I will share with the community! keep up the good work guys!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm hummermole on Thingiverse. Mostly do airsoft replica stuff, but it's FJ stuff after that. Tweaking some AJT Design-like climate control knkbs currently that don't require you to disassemble your existing knows to get that little high- torque clip out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yes, that's exactly what I mean.
This is what I came up with. Still needs to be cleaned up, and I haven't had a chance to test fit it yet. I'll probably try to paint it with plasti-dip like @kburns7719 did for his seat heater bezels to match the texture. Once I know it fits I'll post it on Thingiverse. The face is flat and 2mm thick. The back is 15x32mm which is as open as it can be and still allow a little structure for the clips to work.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I've been spending a few hours a week learning how to model 3d parts. I've got my printer settings down, but modeling is another animal. Please upload whatever you can on Thinkverse! i'm currently working on a few things as well, once complete I will share with the community! keep up the good work guys!
@dp-ped what software are you using to model with?

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Currently on the 1 year free trial of AutoFusion 360.
Same here. My understanding is the free trial can be renewed each year as long as your usage is below a certain threshold. A friend of mine who does some commercial work with CNC wood routing got the paid version and there are a lot of great features that become available. But, from what he has shown me so far, nothing I would really use with my 3D printer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've always liked the way the fuel filler opening on the Wrangler and Hummer looks, with no actual door. If you could design an insert that would allow the removal of the fuel door and give that "open" look, I would be interested in purchasing one.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
That would definitely be challenging. Biggest problem I would have is test fitting a design, since I have no plans to remove my fuel door. Also, there is nothing symmetrical about this opening on the FJ, it will take some creative artistry to make it a clean pocket look as shown in the picture.

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
@Easy Rider I pretty much use 1.75mm PETg for everything now. Here's the Amazon link to the Overture brand I've been using. It's been pretty reliable and they have most of the colors you could want. Also, I print with a .4mm nozzle and .16mm layer height at 250 degrees and 80 degree bed. That's a very fine print setup but I've found it is more dimensionally consistent, though it does take longer to print.
Thanks just curious, I have never tried the overture before, but I did see it has good reviews. Mainly I use hatchbox and Priline. I have pretty good success with both of those. Currently I mostly print pla and ABS but I'm slowly getting away from the pla and moving toward petg. Looking at your print settings, I'm fairly close to that. I like .16 to for layer height, and I print slow. It seems to give better end results.
Definitely going to look into the overture.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
@CRayFJ I did see on thingiverse someone uploaded a cover for the open storage area in the back of the center console. Did you do that?
I want to make a cover for mine, but I was kicking around the idea of 3d printing a track system and using corrugated plastic for the cover.
Do you have a link? My grandson replaced his old printer, larger/faster :)

@CRayFJ I'll watch for the post (y)

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
Do you have a link? My grandson replaced his old printer, larger/faster :)

@CRayFJ I'll watch for the post (y)
This is the console cover on thingiverse, is that what you are asking about?

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I think I have this button blank figured out now. I'll post it on Thingiverse this evening. The fit is about as close as you're going to get and the clips hold it in place well enough for a small pushbutton or toggle switch.

Pictures below are prior to any sanding or painting. I don't think it looks horrible just the way it is, especially if it was partially covered by a switch, but you can sand it a smoother and shoot it with Plasti-Dip or other textured paint to get it to match the interior better. Tell me what you think.

·
Premium Member
6,321 Posts
I think I have this button blank figured out now. I'll post it on Thingiverse this evening. The fit is about as close as you're going to get and the clips hold it in place well enough for a small pushbutton or toggle switch.

Pictures below are prior to any sanding or painting. I don't think it looks horrible just the way it is, especially if it was partially covered by a switch, but you can sand it a smoother and shoot it with Plasti-Dip or other textured paint to get it to match the interior better. Tell me what you think. View attachment 1154322

View attachment 1154324
That looks really clean. after you got a switch put in it, you wouldn't know it didn't belong there.

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams <>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><
267 Posts
I saw some spare tire camera covers that looked like they could be created by a 3D printer. You may be able to customize on a personal level.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I saw some spare tire camera covers that looked like they could be created by a 3D printer. You may be able to customize on a personal level.

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><
You can do just about any design you want. Add some creative inserts or lights and you can add all the color you want too. Here's a few I've been working on.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts