Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up everyone, noob ricardo here. i have a 14 FJ, installed icon stage 2 3in lift with UCAs last week. just bought 16x8, 6x5.5, 4 backspace wheels and am looking into putting 35s on it soon. i have been doing some research and have seen that people usually have to do some body mount chopping. is this true? i am also probably going to run the FJ without the fenders would that add more clearance so i wouldn't have to chop? if i do have to chop is there any good videos out there. i just don't want any rubbing since it'll wear the tire down quicker.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
a body mount chop (BMC) is pretty much a given with 35". it creates clearance to allow the wheel to make a turn without rubbing on the frame. Removing the fender flares wont change the need for a BMC.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
You do have a full understanding of what the effect of 35" tires will have on the overall "gearing", engine RPM at cruising speed, fuel economy, etc.?

Do you intend to install new ring and pinion sets in both differentials?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a body mount chop (BMC) is pretty much a given with 35". it creates clearance to allow the wheel to make a turn without rubbing on the frame. Removing the fender flares wont change the need for a BMC.
do you know of any step by step or good videos of body mount chopping?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You do have a full understanding of what the effect of 35" tires will have on the overall "gearing", engine RPM at cruising speed, fuel economy, etc.?

Do you intend to install new ring and pinion sets in both differentials?
can you give me a quick understanding. I'm new to all this lol.

also the FJs i have asked about haven't done that. what happens if those aren't installed. and what do those do

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Here is my BMC for 35's with spider track spacers. It is less stock looking than most do but I have seen even more aggressive than this. I also shaved the "corner" off the bushing and I still occasionally rub that I am trying to sort out. I'll be cutting more once I know what needs to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Here's a link for the body mount chop
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/suspension-steering-tech/159378-body-mount-chop.html

Based on my personal experience with 35s

Bare Minimum requirements:

3" lift
aggressive bmc (there's no way around this)
front mud flap removal
trimming of plastic fender well liners front/rear

Depending on your setup, you may also need:

wheel spacers or new wheels (to clear the UCA)
aftermarket front UCA to increase caster and provide more tire clearance
hammer the pinch weld flat in the front and/or rear fender wells
bumpstop drop (to keep tires from rubbing inner fenders when suspension is compressed)

Now that you got it to fit, you may want to upgrade these items:

4runner big brake kit or better brake rotors/pads
regear the differentials
front UCAs for better alignment (if you haven't already)

Now that it fits, goes, and stops like it should, plan on these items wearing out sooner than normal:

brakes
steering system (inner/outer tie rods, steering rack and bushings)
upper/lower balljoints
wheel bearings

You may also have trouble fitting a 35" spare without a wheel spacer or an aftermarket bumper w/ tire carrier

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
do you know of any step by step or good videos of body mount chopping?
@epm131 gives you what you need in the way of step by step.

Metal Tech 4x4 sells a laser cut weld-on cap to use after you've cut back the body mount if you want a clean look.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I recently got 16” wheels and went with 305 mud terrains instead of 35s for the reasons epm said above. I am also running 4x spidertrax wheels spacers and did a body mount chop and weld myself in the driveway (not extremely aggressive). No rub at full lock either direction.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,488 Posts
welcome to the Blue Room!! I'm must curious as to why you want to go with 35's?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep you need to chop. Its easy. I was able to put too 305x70x17s. And make it work. 35s is pushing it. Plus the spare will not fit on the back. Without remounting the carrier

1 - 13 of 13 Posts