Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a friend win a 07 auto with 4:56 gears and he wants to bring his truck back to stock. I am going to trade my front and rear 3rd members for his. The thing is, I have a manual trans and 3:90 gears stock. He has an automatic with 3:73 gears. We both have rear lockers. Will the 3rd members fit with no problems? Any help would be appreciated. Tom

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
It should. As far as i know there are no differences in the axles of the auto and manual except for gearing ratio.

You need to make sure he has a rear diff lock though. All manuals have the rear locker and i believe the housing of the axles are different. So if he doesn't have a rear locker, i don't think it will work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should. As far as i know there are no differences in the axles of the auto and manual except for gearing ratio.

You need to make sure he has a rear diff lock though. All manuals have the rear locker and i believe the housing of the axles are different. So if he doesn't have a rear locker, i don't think it will work.

I apparently left out some info and edited my original post. I need a detonate answer, I just can't figure out how to get it. Do understand that I have full time 4wd he has 2 wheel drive. HELP?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I apparently left out some info and edited my original post. I need a detonate answer, I just can't figure out how to get it. Do understand that I have full time 4wd he has 2 wheel drive. HELP?
He has a 2wd automatic?

Or are you referring to the fact that he has a part time transfer case? The transfer cases don't make any difference w.r.t the third member.

I am 99% sure that they will transfer over easily. If you want to confirm, just find a parts website and look up the part numbers for the manual 3rd members and the part number for the automatics 3rd members. They should be identical.

·
Registered
729 Posts
doesnt the auto have a different carrier? could be way of here, but the parts are different for the auto to the manual ,different carriers i think...please correct me

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
doesnt the auto have a different carrier? could be way of here, but the parts are different for the auto to the manual ,different carriers i think...please correct me
Go here:

Toyota Parts Cheap - Genuine OEM

Look up the FJ Cruiser.

You will not see any differences w.r.t. axles, carriers, axle housings, axle shafts, (except gears) between manual and automatic transmissions. On differences are between locked and non locked rear axles.

:cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts