Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
510 Posts
We can supply 4.10 gears, it is such a small change in ratio, that it would not be worth the cost. The gears are only made OE, and not in "thick" this means if you have a 3.90 that you could install 4.10 without buying a new front carrier. However, if you went from 3.90 to 4.10 you wouldn't hardly tell that it changed. If you have an AT and 3.73 than you'd have to also buy a font carrier making it very costly and still minimal change.

That said we've supplied 4.56 & 4.88 for a hundreds upon hundreds of FJ Cruisers. The bulk of them running a 33-35" tire, some bigger. The AT or MT has such a tall overdrive, and Toyota did not factor for larger tires. So when anything bigger is fitted it will require changing gear ratio, or tolerating loss of power, less time in overdrive etc. Still for some, the math seems to be more important than real world fact, experience, etc and some demand 4.10. We do offer them only for this reason. We get many inquiries from people that have run the numbers (we have too!) and ask for a 4.08 or a 4.22 ratio etc. and think they want 4.10. They fail to factor in the added rolling resistance, wind drag, added weight of accessories, or the fact that the vehicles are a bit too tall geared to begin with. Many of people in this situation opt for 4.56 and are always happy that they did.
Here's a list of part numbers:
2010+ 8.2” REAR:
FJ CRUISER, 4RUNNER & PRADO 150
-12 Bolt Ring Gear -Adjusts via side shims -30 spline pinion
NO 4.10 AVAILABLE
T8.2-456-NG R&P
IK T8.2 MINI KIT (ALL)
MK T8.2 MASTER KIT (NON LOCKER)
MK T8.2-ELOC MASTER KIT (W/ OEM LOCKER)
ARBRD193 AIR LOCKER

03-PRESENT 8” CLAMSHELL FRONT DIFF
07-present FJ Cruiser, 03-present 4runner, 05-present Tacoma Front:
T8S-410R-OE FRONT R&P (FITS 3.90 CASE, OR RD111)
T8S-456RT-NG FRONT R&P (THICK FITS 3.73 CASE, OR RD121)
T8S-488R-NG FRONT R&P (FITS 3.90 CASE OR RD111)
MK T8S-R MASTER KIT
IK T8S-R MINI KIT
SK CST8S-CLAM SOLID PRELOAD SPACER
ARBRD121 AIR LOCKER (FITS STOCK 3.73 OR W/ T8S-456RT-NG)
ARBRD111 AIR LOCKER (FITS STOCK 3.90+ OR W/ T8S-488R-NG)

2009 & OLDER 8” REAR
-07-09 FJ Cruiser ALL, 03-09 4runner ALL, 05-09 Tacoma WITH E-locker.
TV6-411-NG R&P (REQ. YOKT60030 FLANGE)
TV6-456-29-NG R&P (NEW! 29 SPLINE BIG PINION, NO FLANGE REQ!)
TV6-488-29-NG (NEW! 29 SPLINE BIG PINION, NO FLANGE REQ!)
ARBRD132 AIR LOCKER
MK TV6-B MASTER KIT (NON LOCKER)
MK T8-ELOC-B MASTER KIT (W/ OEM LOCKER)
IK TV6-B MINI KIT (ALL)
SK CSTV6 SOLID PRELOAD SPACER

05-Present Tacoma 8.4” (NON LOCKER)
T100-410-OE
T100-456-NG R&P
T100-488-NG R&P
MK T100 MASTER KIT (ALL)
IK T100 MINI KIT (ALL)
SK CST100 SOLID PRELOAD SPACER
ARBRD129 AIR LOCKER

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Resurrecting an older thread here.

I've been running 315/70-17's which are almost 34" tires on my 6MT.
The only time I notice a lack of power is when I pull a loaded 18' trailer.
Offroading has not been affected in any way that I can tell and I run pretty hard.

That said, I'm going to 35's this weekend, and have been researching re-gearing options.
I read through this thread and didn't see any direct mention of the fact that the 8" pre-2010 FJ rear diff is almost pointless to re-gear because the inherent weakness in size. The front 6MT clamshell is in the same situation - no room for thicker gears. The 2010+ have the 8.2" rear diff, and the AT front clamshell can accept thicker gears, which would be the choice to swap in.

So unless I'm mistaken, in the case of pre-2010 6MT owners, a worthwhile re-gear capable of withstanding the longterm stress of bigger tires requires more than just getting other gears.

510 Posts

Offroading has not been affected in any way that I can tell and I run pretty hard.

That said, I'm going to 35's this weekend, and have been researching re-gearing options.
I read through this thread and didn't see any direct mention of the fact that the 8" pre-2010 FJ rear diff is almost pointless to re-gear because the inherent weakness in size. The front 6MT clamshell is in the same situation - no room for thicker gears. The 2010+ have the 8.2" rear diff, and the AT front clamshell can accept thicker gears, which would be the choice to swap in.

So unless I'm mistaken, in the case of pre-2010 6MT owners, a worthwhile re-gear capable of withstanding the longterm stress of bigger tires requires more than just getting other gears.
There are no 4.10 for 8.2 rear (2010+)

With manual trans you have 3.90, so even if 4.10 were available, it would be an unnoticeable change and not worth time or cost. With 35s AND towing with an FJC I would definitely go 4.88, this will also allow you to keep your factory front carrier. If for some reason you were afraid of 4.88, you could do 4.56, but will need to buy the 3.73 carrier or arb rd121, all of which we stock.

We have regeared 100s of fj, tacos, 4runner, and supplied gears for 1000s.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
There are no 4.10 for 8.2 rear (2010+)

With manual trans you have 3.90, so even if 4.10 were available, it would be an unnoticeable change and not worth time or cost. With 35s AND towing with an FJC I would definitely go 4.88, this will also allow you to keep your factory front carrier. If for some reason you were afraid of 4.88, you could do 4.56, but will need to buy the 3.73 carrier or arb rd121, all of which we stock.

We have regeared 100s of fj, tacos, 4runner, and supplied gears for 1000s.
So you're saying my 2008 MT front clamshell differential can accept the thicker gears?

510 Posts
So you're saying my 2008 MT front clamshell differential can accept the thicker gears?
Not exactly. "Thick" is not anything to do with strength. It is thicker to fit the OEM 3.73 carrier or ARB Rd121 locker. Automatic FJC have 3.73, so if you use a "thick" gear you don't have to buy a new carrier. Manual trans FJC have 3.90, the carrier will not accept thick gears. Most importantly if you have a goal in mind we can help you figure out what you need to accomplish it.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Not exactly. "Thick" is not anything to do with strength. It is thicker to fit the OEM 3.73 carrier or ARB Rd121 locker. Automatic FJC have 3.73, so if you use a "thick" gear you don't have to buy a new carrier. Manual trans FJC have 3.90, the carrier will not accept thick gears. Most importantly if you have a goal in mind we can help you figure out what you need to accomplish it.
So, will the AT front clamshell accept "thick" gears?

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts

So just to affirm what I stated here - and hopefully clarifying Justdifferentials confusing statements:

"What front differential do I have in my FJ Cruiser or 4Runner?

If you have a 2007-2014 FJ Cruiser or a 2003+ 4Runner then you have a 8" Clamshell Differential.

Manual Transmission FJ: The 3.91 Differential was known as the "Thin" Ring Gear and the differential carrier is specific to this model. There is very little aftermarket support for ring gears for this differential. If you have a manual transmission FJ Cruiser and want to change the differential ratio, a 3.73 Carrier is needed out of an automatic transmission'd FJ or an ARB Air Locker Part Number RD121 is needed. IF you want to keep the 3.91 Ratio, then you can use an ARB Air Locker Part number RD111- however if you want to change differential ratio in the future you would be stuck with a locker that does not work with any other ring and pinion. If you want to change your ring and pinion with an OEM Differential, you can search your local junkyards at car-part.com for a 2007+ Toyota FJ Cruiser with Automatic and get yourself a 3.73 carrier so that you can buy an aftermarket "Thick" ring and pinion.

Automatic Transmission FJ: The 3.73 Differential was known as the "Thick" Ring Gear and this carrier has a lot of aftermarket support. The Ratio's currently available are 4.56 and 4.88."

So once again, if you're going to re-gear and you own a 2006-2009 Manual Transmission FJC, find a) An AT clamshell, and b) a 2010+ rear axle. There's no point in pouring almost $2k into a re-gear without making that extra investment so that you have the benefit those 2 items will give you both now and in the future.

510 Posts
All FJ Cruisers have the 8-inch clamshell front end. All clam shells are the same. The diff carrier that holds the ring gear is different between the ratios. Aftermarket gears are made thick so that they fit on the 373 carrier which the automatic FJ Cruisers are equipped with. I'm confused at what you're trying to figure out, as going from 3:92 to 4:10 will make absolutely no difference you won't even notice it. With 35s you need 4:56 or 4:88. The 4:88 we offer in a standard offset which will fit your diff case so you don't have to buy a new one.

Also there are no 4:10 made for the 8.2 diff. But again, it is a moot point as going from 3:92 to 4:10 is not enough of a change.

We have supplied gears for thousands of FJ cruisers 4 Runners and Tacomas and have talked to hundreds of people that initially were afraid of 4:56 or 4:88 thinking that they would not be able to drive on the highway but this is simply not the case, every one of them is happy after going to 4:56 or 4:88.

Again for 4:56 "thick", all that you would need is the 3:73 diff case which we stock
Follow this link, all the info is here:

Gear Package

We actually offer the 4:88 standard offset for the front now that's not part of the prepackaged kit, but if you call or email we can put together a kit for you so you don't have to buy a carrier.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
"Again for 4:56 "thick", all that you would need is the 3:73 diff case"

Exactly what I keep saying.... and a 3:73 diff case only comes in AT, not MT FJ's...

510 Posts
"Again for 4:56 "thick", all that you would need is the 3:73 diff case"

Exactly what I keep saying.... and a 3:73 diff case only comes in AT, not MT FJ's...
You said clamshell, the clamshell is the same on all.

Differential case is only difference, no big deal, we stock them. Or a locker replaces it. Again, not sure what the goal is. If you call us at 866 349 6801 or email us at [email protected] we can help you figure out exactly what you need.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts

3.90 case = MT
3.73 case = AT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2013 FJ Cruiser (I am in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates). I run on Radflo Suspension on a 2.5inch lift with 285/70/17 tires. I only use the car for dune bashing. On the taller dunes I am under powered and have to run the car at full revs leaving no margin for error.

The vehicle is a Automatic. Will regearing help? If so to what gear. At the moment I drive in low 3rd gear with the occasional down shift to 2nd when running out of steam and up to 4th for the faster areas. In high it is only 1st and 2nd, very rarely 3rd, but the car performs better in low. Any advice very welcome.

Cost of fuel is not important here and also running on the highway is not that important. Being safe on the dunes is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2013 FJ Cruiser (I am in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates). I run on Radflo Suspension on a 2.5inch lift with 285/70/17 tires. I only use the car for dune bashing. On the taller dunes I am under powered and have to run the car at full revs leaving no margin for error.

The vehicle is a Automatic. Will regearing help? If so to what gear. At the moment I drive in low 3rd gear with the occasional down shift to 2nd when running out of steam and up to 4th for the faster areas. In high it is only 1st and 2nd, very rarely 3rd, but the car performs better in low. Any advice very welcome.

Cost of fuel is not important here and also running on the highway is not that important. Being safe on the dunes is.

Since I have a manual transmission I'm not sure I can compare.
What I can say is that I gained a dyno proven 30HP by going to headers and a free flow exhaust system.
With the tire size you are running most people don't regear. Maybe someone who does more of your type of offroading can chime in here?
With me running 35's I'm regearing to 4:56 - which brings me back close to stock rpm at highway speeds. But then the MT has a 3:90 from the factory.
Since neither fuel nor highway matters in your case, going to 4:88's with some exhaust improvements could solve your problem.

510 Posts
Hi,

For what you're describing, I would suggest 4.88 gears.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

For what you're describing, I would suggest 4.88 gears.
I almost has his same modifications. However, its a daily use car. I have the auto 3.73 size. I was looking for the 4.10. I noticed that its not manufactured. Is the 4.56 suitable for daily use on roads, long distances and at high speed? Thanks

510 Posts
I almost has his same modifications. However, its a daily use car. I have the auto 3.73 size. I was looking for the 4.10. I noticed that its not manufactured. Is the 4.56 suitable for daily use on roads, long distances and at high speed? Thanks
100% of people we sell gears to drive long distances, and yes 4.56 is great for highway. Give us a call at 866 349 6801 or email us at [email protected] and we get you pricing and also find a installer close to you if you need.

·
Premium Member
11,019 Posts
We can supply 4.10 gears, it is such a small change in ratio, that it would not be worth the cost. The gears are only made OE, and not in "thick" this means if you have a 3.90 that you could install 4.10 without buying a new front carrier. However, if you went from 3.90 to 4.10 you wouldn't hardly tell that it changed. If you have an AT and 3.73 than you'd have to also buy a font carrier making it very costly and still minimal change.

That said we've supplied 4.56 & 4.88 for a hundreds upon hundreds of FJ Cruisers. The bulk of them running a 33-35" tire, some bigger. The AT or MT has such a tall overdrive, and Toyota did not factor for larger tires. So when anything bigger is fitted it will require changing gear ratio, or tolerating loss of power, less time in overdrive etc. Still for some, the math seems to be more important than real world fact, experience, etc and some demand 4.10. We do offer them only for this reason. We get many inquiries from people that have run the numbers (we have too!) and ask for a 4.08 or a 4.22 ratio etc. and think they want 4.10. They fail to factor in the added rolling resistance, wind drag, added weight of accessories, or the fact that the vehicles are a bit too tall geared to begin with. Many of people in this situation opt for 4.56 and are always happy that they did.
Here's a list of part numbers:
2010+ 8.2” REAR:
FJ CRUISER, 4RUNNER & PRADO 150
-12 Bolt Ring Gear -Adjusts via side shims -30 spline pinion
NO 4.10 AVAILABLE
T8.2-456-NG R&P
IK T8.2 MINI KIT (ALL)
MK T8.2 MASTER KIT (NON LOCKER)
MK T8.2-ELOC MASTER KIT (W/ OEM LOCKER)
ARBRD193 AIR LOCKER

T8S-488R-NG FRONT R&P (FITS 3.90 CASE OR RD111)
MK T8S-R MASTER KIT
IK T8S-R MINI KIT
SK CST8S-CLAM SOLID PRELOAD SPACER
ARBRD121 AIR LOCKER (FITS STOCK 3.73 OR W/ T8S-456RT-NG)
ARBRD111 AIR LOCKER (FITS STOCK 3.90+ OR W/ T8S-488R-NG)

2009 & OLDER 8” REAR
-07-09 FJ Cruiser ALL, 03-09 4runner ALL, 05-09 Tacoma WITH E-locker.
TV6-411-NG R&P (REQ. YOKT60030 FLANGE)
TV6-456-29-NG R&P (NEW! 29 SPLINE BIG PINION, NO FLANGE REQ!)
TV6-488-29-NG (NEW! 29 SPLINE BIG PINION, NO FLANGE REQ!)
ARBRD132 AIR LOCKER
MK TV6-B MASTER KIT (NON LOCKER)
MK T8-ELOC-B MASTER KIT (W/ OEM LOCKER)
IK TV6-B MINI KIT (ALL)
SK CSTV6 SOLID PRELOAD SPACER

05-Present Tacoma 8.4” (NON LOCKER)
T100-410-OE
T100-456-NG R&P
T100-488-NG R&P
MK T100 MASTER KIT (ALL)
IK T100 MINI KIT (ALL)
SK CST100 SOLID PRELOAD SPACER