Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I drive my car in 4-hi on dry pavement or does it have to be only when it's wet/snow? The manual says I need to drive it once a month in 4-hi for some reason.

My old car was a Mazda MPV 4x and I could drive it all the time in 4-hi, just not with the center diff locked.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i forgot to mention I have a 2008 trail teams with the automatic

·
Registered
499 Posts
unless i'm wrong in some way, you should be perfectly fine driving in 4hi. pretty much like driving any 4wd car/truck. if the manaul asks for it to go in 4hi once a month i'm guessing it probably just wants to make sure that the parts get a good spinning and moving around so build up of some sort doesn't occur.
try and make a once a month 4hi necessary outing :D, take her in the dirt!

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
On the automatic there is no center differential, just the gear box. So considered it perpetually 'locked.' If you put it in 4HI on pavement and turn, you are binding up things... if you turn sharp enough in 4HI on pavement, the truck will slow down as if braking and skip across the tires going chirp chirp chirp....

I do not recommend it. For one thing there is no need on pavement...

As for the once-a-month thing, there's probably some bearing someplace that won't turn unless it's in 4wd and they want you to give it a whirl every now and then. Go offroad!! :)

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
unless i'm wrong in some way, you should be perfectly fine driving in 4hi.
Your setup with the manual transmission is very much different than with the auto. Yours is setup with a center diff, which this auto does not have.

The part-time 4WD in the FJ is not suitable for continuous on-road use.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Part time 4wd systems dont have a transfer case that can provide two different axle speeds for the front and rear. This causes axle bind, axle wind up, driveline bind...or whatever you want to call it. Do Not use 4wd on high traction surfaces unless you want to break something.

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
Why do people ask this question every few months.....why in the hell would anyone want to put there rig in 4wd on dry pavement??????

Only an idiot with a serious mission to break stuff would want to......

FIND SOME DIRT!!!!! Even downtown Manhatten has dirt somewere!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Be kind, don't bind !

If you must do it on pavement, pick a spot like in a park or somewhere out of traffic (even a big parking lot) where you can turn it on, drive slow and straight for several hundred feet, and then switch it off and be on your way.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Can I drive my car in 4-hi on dry pavement or does it have to be only when it's wet/snow? The manual says I need to drive it once a month in 4-hi for some reason.

My old car was a Mazda MPV 4x and I could drive it all the time in 4-hi, just not with the center diff locked.
I think the reason the manual encourages this is for lubrication reasons. You just need to drive it a minute or two in 4wd to get the "juices flowing". If you just absolutely cannot find any dirt whatsoever to drive on, then I would suggest just driving a couple of straight blocks in 4Hi and call it good. Ultimately, the best thing you could possibly do for your FJ is to take it wheeling once a month. GO CLIMB SOMETHING!:rocker:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
x2 do not drive around in 4HI on pavement. Driving down a good straight road to lubricate is okay, just don't turn with it in 4HI.
OR you could just go offroading once a month. :)

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
this harkens that age old question.......WHY????

It is bad bad bad for the transfer case. There is a picture in here somewhere of a case that simply detonated due to being driven in 4hi on dry pavement. The old rule was 10miles engaged for every thousand miles driven(to turn the grease in the hubs)....Find a dirt road my friend.....Or place the FJ off the shoulder of the road so that the passenger side tires are in the dirt. This enables the gears to slip and not bind in the transfer case. Figure out a way to do it without engaging 4hi on wet or dry pavement as this will damage your riggin'.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
this harkens that age old question.......WHY????
If you want to know why, go take your 4x4, go into a concrete parking lot, put it in 4HI, turn the wheel all the way, and then floor it. You will soon find out why you should have not done this.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
If you want to know why, go take your 4x4, go into a concrete parking lot, put it in 4HI, turn the wheel all the way, and then floor it. You will soon find out why you should have not done this.
I'm pretty sure that was a rhetorical "why".... read the rest of the post, he rather answers it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I'm pretty sure that was a rhetorical "why".... read the rest of the post, he rather answers it. :lol:
Sometimes in thread where it is a question that has been asked countless times and answered countless times i sort of jump the gun and don't read all the way through some post. :wave:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok thanks everyone, so it doesn't have a center diff like my MPV does so I can't drive it the same way. The goal is to do what the manual says ( drive it in 4x once a month) and I want to make sure I don't hurt some parts.

Good info to know, just some of you are rude for no reason...

Homedad get a life, nobody addressed you directly. I suspect you have limited value posting on any subject.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts