Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a problem on my FJ Cruiser 2007 automatic transmission, the green light of 4 wheel drive is not turning on when i set the lever to H4 ( i dont know if it is engaged or not, how should i know ? ) . However the 4L is engaging for sure when the lever is set to L4 and only the slip indicator light is turned on .
No trouble code returned by the scan tool.
Driving on H4 is very normal and didn't feel any difference with H2 ( i hope my feelings are wrong :frown ).

What will be the problem ?

I tried to disconnecting the battery for more than 30 seconds, but also not worked.

Thank you

·
Registered
897 Posts
Drive on something that slips and see if front axle engages, or lift front end and check.

That said, it's usually not hard to feel the additional "weight" or resistance in the steering wheel when the front axle is engaged. You should be able to tell.

With the fj having a real handle to physically engage the transfer case, it's likely in 4 wheel drive...

·
Admin
9,891 Posts

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
(snip)

With the fj having a real handle to physically engage the transfer case, it's likely in 4 wheel drive...
Not quite true ....

The transfer case does have a mechanical lever to shift the transfer case into 4WD mode, but all that does is supply power to the front driveshaft.

To actually get power to the front axles, an electric-motor driven actuator in the front differential must also "shift" to mechanically connect the RH axle shaft to the differential's side gear.

There are a number of different conditions that can prevent the front differential's actuator from shifting and making the final mechanical connection required to get power to the front wheels. These have been covered here in detail in previous threads.

The actuator contains a position-sensing switch that turns on the 4WD light when the shift has actually occurred. If the 4WD light doesn't illuminate it's a good indication (but not an absolute indication) that the diff is not in 4WD mode.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, thanks for your valuable replies.
Probably the h4 is working, i test it on mud terrain, the front and rear wheels are spinning . Therefore it might be an indicator light lamp or something similar.
Am i wrong ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts