Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, let me start off with this... :flame:.... We had a big storm roll through here so me and my bro decided to take our FJ's for a little off road adventure. The conditions were great! Water, mud, rocks, snow.... everything!! I went to throw it in 4 wheel high and nothing! Shifted to 4 Wheel low.... NOTHING! When I had it in 4 wheel low, I was able to engage my rear dif and the traction control was disabled, but I was still in 2 wheel drive! :mecry: I'm not sure what the issue was, but we decided to move forward, and I would push through as much of the trail as possible in 2 wheel with my diff locked and VCS off. All lights in the dash were working, all except the 4wheel indicator light. Checked the fuses, they were fine, couldnt really look under the FJ, as it was VERY muddy and I coundnt position myself good enough to see any lose wires or anything out of the ordinary.
I went for about 30 minutes in 2 wheel with diff lock and no VCS (keep in mind, my 4 wheel drive shifter had to remain in 4 wheel low to activate these options), when all of a sudden, to my surprise, the green 4 wheel driver indicator light came on :clap: I was stoked, but still did not understand why it was not engaging when I first placed it in 4 Wheel. To test the system, I put it back in 2 wheel drive, and then back into 4 wheel, and nothing, again! :flame: By this point I was getting pretty frustrated. We are on the trails, in perfect conditions, and I couldnt get the 4 wheel to engage! So,
i placed back in 4 low, did a couple circles, and the 4 wheel engaged again! Once I got it on this time, I left it on, no more messing around. We hd a great time, epic conditions, and definitely needed my 4 wheel drive. Just wish it worked how it was supposed to!

My question, has this happened to anyone before? Any suggestions on what it could be? I'm not a big "techi" when it comes to this, so any help in "simpleton" terms would be greatly appreciated! :bigthumb:

I use my 4 wheel drive a lot, and have never had any issues. I hope to not be in a situation where I NEED the 4 wheel drive and cant get it engaged.

Thanks guys!! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
If the lever moves into position, I'm not sure how it wouldn't be. Could it just be a sensor or indicator problem?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
did you try throwing it in reverse?
good question.

Sometimes it takes a few minutes to engage.. I usually keep the tires straight and put it in gear, then reverse, until it clicks or goes in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pretty common for all 4wheel drives I have owned. Sometimes you need to throw it in neutra (automatic)l, but usually the best thing to try is throwing it into reverse first. It can be frustrating and disconcerting but not uncommon.

Back in the old manual hub days it was pretty much a religious ceremony to get it to engage :)

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Electronic Gremlins! Do you honk when you drive over a cattle gurad, bridge or through a tunnel? A small bell helps ward these off.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did you try throwing it in reverse?
Yep, and nothing I tried engaging in neutral, tried engaging at 5 mph in drive, tried doing circles. Nothing was working.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good question.

Sometimes it takes a few minutes to engage.. I usually keep the tires straight and put it in gear, then reverse, until it clicks or goes in.
I tried all the tricks of the trade :mecry: and nothing was working for me. Its weird that it engaged after about 30 minutes of driving?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
961 Posts
I ran into the same problem about a year ago. There is a thread that addresses this (do a search). The motor that actuates the front diff gets sticky and needs periodic exercise to keep it lubed (that's why the manual tells us to do it once a month). Once you get in the habit of using it more regularly, it will behave better..
HTH..

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just purchased a used 2007 AT and had same issues, nothing was engaging. Luckily I just spent some time in the parking lot engaging/disengaging, H4, L4, diff lock on/off and finally, all is good, must have been sitting too long at the dealership.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts