Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the whole 4 wheel drive thing so please don't laugh (too hard) at my questions. I just put on 285/70/17's on the truck. When I put the FJ in 4 wheel drive I get this lurching feeling when the truck is going under 10mph. Is this normal. Also, when in 4 wheel drive, I put the FJ in reverse it seems to want to stop me. First, should I even be going in reverse in 4 wheel drive mode? Second, if so, is this normal? After pushing the gas to reverse I hear a type of clicking sound. Normal? Please help a newbie.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Are you doing this on dry pavement? Things can get a strange on dry pavement but clicking sounds I've never heard. Are we taking 4H or 4L?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Make sure the T-case is all the way in gear and only engage 4Hi on loose ground or wet roads and 4Lo only in off-highway situations.

Sounds like what they said, binding the gears.

·
Registered
933 Posts
all,
thanks for your replies..I am on dry cement. Not off roading. Put the FJ in H4.

any suggestions?
IF you turn the wheel at all on dry pavement (cement) it will bind the gears and act like it wants to stop. Use 4 wheel drive only on wet or slick surfaces.

·
Registered
765 Posts
all,
thanks for your replies..I am on dry cement. Not off roading. Put the FJ in H4.

any suggestions?
I think that we all will sugest you NOT to put any 4x4 gear while in dry pavement because will bind the parts in front differential. Go on a gravel road or a dirt road (at least) to try 4x4 on any gear to see if you still hear those noises.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that we all will sugest you NOT to put any 4x4 gear while in dry pavement because will bind the parts in front differential. Go on a gravel road or a dirt road (at least) to try 4x4 on any gear to see if you still hear those noises.
great advice..thanks all...follow up question: what about in rain or snow on dry pavement? should I put it in H4?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts