1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
DominicG has one, but I don't think he is very happy with it. It only cools down 30 degrees below the ambient air temp. and will kill your battery in a hurry if you aren't careful. I prefer a cooler.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Re: 40 Quart PowerChill™ Thermoelectric Cooler with Power Supply

DominicG has one, but I don't think he is very happy with it. It only cools down 30 degrees below the ambient air temp. and will kill your battery in a hurry if you aren't careful. I prefer a cooler.
I used one on my trip to chicago and It worked just fine, but most the time I was driving so the battery stayed charged up and I'd plug it into the hotel at nights. I think an Ice cooler still is a better option. I returned it right after I got back home. I got the Extreme 7 day cooler and it will literally keep Ice frozen for a week if you open it as little as possible.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the general consensus is to forget about the powered cooler.

I was wavering, and now think I'll just get a Coleman Xtreme cooler, instead. I can't justify spending greater than $300 for a small ARB or Engels right now. I can live with getting ice...

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

·
Downwind
645 Posts
I have both the extreme and the thermoelectric. Here's my .03
Extreme: +great at holding temps, -small interior size for it's bulky exterior, -melted ice slooshing in the back of the rig gets annoying, -still have to buy ice.
Thermo: +quiet, +can cool it down inside and then plug it into the FJ, +no ice sloshing, -it takes juice from the battery ( I have it plugged into a seperate 12v that is only powered when the ignition is on for this reason), -does not get really cold, +price is good for either, -can't put ice in it

I have the thermo in my rig at all times, always plugged in and always with at least a gallon of water in it.

I considered the Engel, but decided to upgrade the fridge in my house for the same price :)

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I considered the Engel, but decided to upgrade the fridge in my house for the same price :)
I hear ya.

So, I went to Wally World and picked up a 70qt Coleman Xtreme cooler after work yesterday. I'm going to look into Techni Ice and using frozen water bottles, too, to eliminate sloshing and spillage...

If the costs of powered refrigeration ever starts coming down to be a reasonable alternative, then I'll start looking again at getting something like that. Otherwise, they're not an option right now.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Re: 40 Quart PowerChill™ Thermoelectric Cooler with Power Supply

Don't waste your money IMO. Save up and just buy the Engel. I bought one of these earlier this year and halfway through our second trip with it the fuse fried out and it stopped working. I returned it and we just spent the money on an Engel 45. Best $600 mod to the truck ever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts